DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm sad the Night Shift isn't still in the book regularly though.

I miss them. This week's issue, Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #10 did a great job at balancing the funnies with the feelings:

image0.png

ECk8HyjU4AYrErJ.jpg

ECk8I-dU8AIhTMk.jpg

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Annihilation: Scourge coming in November. Matt Rosenberg writing, stars the Fantastic Four, Richard Rider Nova, Beta Ray Bill, and the Silver Surfer.  

I'm hyped.

I'm going with "cautiously optimistic"

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Annihilation: Scourge coming in November. Matt Rosenberg writing, stars the Fantastic Four, Richard Rider Nova, Beta Ray Bill, and the Silver Surfer.  

I'm hyped.

Not sure how to feel. Knew something Annihilation wise was coming, but I thought Cates would be writing it. He seems to be pulling from Giffen and DnA for his run. I like what I've read of Rosenberg's Uncanny so far, but its not enough to make me excited for him hitting cosmic. Still nice to see Richard, Bill, and Surfer starring.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #9, LGY #42 written by Christos Gage and regular artist, Mike Hawthorne returns. The Superior Spider-Man gets the Key to the City of San Francisco for protecting them from villainy. It’s an honour that doesn’t sit right with SpOck. The issue does a good job showing how SpOck has changed, in the past he craved platitudes and still does to an extent. Otto rues himself over lives lost also. Spider-Man makes a welcome guest appearance checking in on Otto. A good issue.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #10, LGY #43 written by Christos Gage and drawn by Mike Hawthorne. This is one of the best issues involving the Superior Spider-Man and I’ve read a lot. The Superior Spider-Man is outed in the media as one Doctor Otto Octavius resulting in ramifications. There’s moving moments between SpOck and James, the boy from #4 too. Yesterday’s Marvel solicits for November 2019 came out without the Superior Spider-Man. A disappointing development as I’m a fan of the character and this title.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #27 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Kev Walker in Who Run The World? Boomerang’s actions make him a target including the all female Sinister Syndicate. Fred Myers tries to use his gift of the gab to get out of the situation. A very good issue, Nick Spencer utilizes Boomerang so well. Here he teams up with a reluctant Spider-Man against said Sinister Syndicate.

Doom 2099. But the old 2099 universe had lot of dropped plot points and also becomes a mess in the end when Marvel fired the editor of the line.

There's several 2099 universes. I think Spencer is using the Slott version with the Secret Wars stuff and Marvel Knights 2099 melded in.

• Like 1

I mentioned in the DC thread, but I have been collecting Omnibus's this summer. So far I have racked up about 20 or so. It's amazing to me how Marvel blows DC out of the water with their quality.  I recently purchased the Daredevil by Waid books, the Daredevil by Frank Miller books, and the Brubaker books (the Bendi's are still pretty pricey).  I am curious which Daredevil you guys prefer.  It seems like Miller took the reigns and changed the character for the better. Waid seemed to make him more cheerful. Almost like Marvel's version of Nightwing.  I know I am getting into Daredevil very late, but to me he is such an underrated character in comic history. 

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I mentioned in the DC thread, but I have been collecting Omnibus's this summer. So far I have racked up about 20 or so. It's amazing to me how Marvel blows DC out of the water with their quality.  I recently purchased the Daredevil by Waid books, the Daredevil by Frank Miller books, and the Brubaker books (the Bendi's are still pretty pricey).  I am curious which Daredevil you guys prefer.  It seems like Miller took the reigns and changed the character for the better. Waid seemed to make him more cheerful. Almost like Marvel's version of Nightwing.  I know I am getting into Daredevil very late, but to me he is such an underrated character in comic history. 

Okay, time for a confession. I started buying Marvel Comics when Dr. Strange was drawn by Steve Ditko and the Avengers had just changed the roster for the first time to Cap, Quicksilver Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye. So yeah, I've been around for awhile. Daredevil has just never, ever grabbed me, no matter how well-written or engaging the character was portrayed as being, I just could never get into the character. My first exposure, he was fighting Spider-Man and wearing that dreadful yellow costume, maybe that's what soured me or maybe it was the ridiculously bad villains; (Stilt-man, the Owl, anyone?) I like the work of guys like Brubaker and Bendis and Waid, but they might as well be writing about the price of tea in Laos as far as my interest level goes. Now this is coming from a guy that's been a Hank Pym fan since Ant-man days, so maybe I'm just weird.

• Like 1

A few reviews from Brand New Day, an unpopular time for Spider-Man:

The Amazing Spider-Man: New Ways to Die collects The Amazing Spider-Man #568-573. Spider-Man has to deal with the Thunderbolts led by Norman Osborn and Osborn as the Green Goblin. A new symbiote debuts as well. I read this a while after I’d read most of Dan Slott’s solo Spider-Man run which started with Big Time. A decent story, the highlight was the return of John Romita Jr. to the Amazing Spider-Man book.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Crime and Punishment collects The Amazing Spider-Man #574-577. I was surprised to find Flash Thompson lost his legs in combat when I read The Amazing Spider-Man: Matters of Life and Death and Spider-Island ages ago. I requested this book only for the issue it happened in, #574 to see how it was handled and as you would expect it’s a heavy story. It’s also done well most importantly. A major development in the character’s history.

The Amazing Spider-Man #578-579. The story called Unscheduled Stop by Mark Waid. I first read this in the Amazing Spider-Man: Death and Dating from my Sister for Christmas 2011 and went back to read it again for this review. Spider-Man has to deal with a subway collapse, all that brings by the Shocker. It’s a great story as Spidey contends with the problems caused by the collapse in the Subway; it introduces J. Jonah Jameson Sr. and the super art by Marcos Martin.

The Amazing Spider-Man #600. Dan Slott’s written three anniversary issues for the Amazing Spider-Man, #600 (2009), #700 (2012) and #800 (2018). This was the one I hadn’t read. Doctor Octopus is dying so takes control of mechanisms in New York City via his brainwaves as a parting gift. It’s interesting delving in the past and knowing what followed. The seeds sown too.

I liked the issue with talk regarding Spider-Man’s secret identity, how he’s been revealing it more lately after One More Day and the guest appearances are relevant as Daredevil/the Fantastic Four/the Avengers are based in the city. Fun is had with Spidey and the Human Torch playing off one another, chuckled at Johnny hitting on captured girls Pete knows in his civilian guise. Forgot the issue also sees J Jonah Jameson Sr. marry May Reilly Parker-Jameson and Mary Jane Watson shows. Was this her first appearance in Brand New Day?