DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm going to start posting my comic book reviews again. The reviews will be a mixture of ones I've read a while ago but never posted my review till now or books recently read. The following is the former.

Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) #1-6. I read these via The Astonishing Spider-Man, a UK publication which reprints Spider-Man stories. The issues are written by Christopher Yost.

In #1 Kaine, a clone of Peter Parker is in Houston, Texas looking to jump to Mexico because of his previous actions when he was cellular degenerating. The events of Spider-Island cured that. In the issue, Kaine takes an ill woman to hospital, the only survivor from a human trafficking incident. #2 has Kaine as the Scarlet Spider rescues the aforementioned woman who is in hospital from an attacker wanting to finish the job and decides to stay in Houston, Texas as you expected. #3-4 sees Doctor Donald Meland from the first two issues having a threat on his life as Kaine has to contend with an Assassin’s Guild. #5 has Scarlet Spider out to stop a bomb planted in Houston, Texas while #6 looks at two, Aracely/Annabelle Adams of the four supporting cast, them with Doctor Meland/Police Officer Wally Layton as Kaine has to contend with Ana Kravinoff.

I enjoyed this, particular #1-2 and #6. Kaine’s an interesting character, he’s done bad things and thanks to Spider-Island has a second chance of life. Kaine still sees himself as a monster but tries to do heroic deeds, a reluctant foul mouthed antihero who’s violent. I also like the aforementioned supporting cast.

Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2): Lone Star collects Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) #7-9, #12.1 and #13-15 by series writer, Christopher Yost. In #7-9, a missile attack on Roxxon Towers finds Kaine’s Scarlet Spider investigating Roxxon’s activities and a family feud. This was a really good arc. If you want to read Scarlet Spider #10-12 you need Minimum Carnage which you should read in its own right, then go back to this book for #12.1 and #13-15. If you don’t, there’s a brief summary before #12.1. #12.1 sees Kaine after an attacker who uses Kaine’s trademark, the mark of Kaine, it was a good issue. #13-15 sheds light on Aracely’s past while Kaine has to contend with the Other. I liked this but it’s my least favourite Scarlet Spider story as I think I missed out regarding the Other. I’ve only read two issues from the story, Spider-Man vs. Morlun and the next issue covering the fallout. These were the only two issues I wanted to read from it.

Minimum Carnage collects Minimum Carnage: Alpha #1, Scarlet Spider #10, Venom #26, Scarlet Spider #11, Venom #27, Minimum Carnage: Omega #1 and Scarlet Spider #12 in this order. Minimum Carnage: Alpha and Omega is written by Scarlet Spider writer, Christopher Yost and Venom writer, Cullen Bunn. Both write their respective titles alone. Minimum Carnage sees Kaine, the Scarlet Spider and Agent Venom on the search of Carnage in the Macroverse/Microverse and was my first introduction to the latter. I really enjoyed it, particularly Scarlet Spider and Agent Venom’s interactions. I’ve liked Scarlet Spider since Spider-Island and his own book. I’ve liked Agent Venom in the stories I’ve read of his (The Amazing Spider-Man #654, 654.1, The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider Island and now Minimum Carnage).

In Scarlet Spider #12 set at Christmas time, Kaine is trying to come to terms what happened in Minimum Carnage and there’s an attack on the hotel he resides at by criminals dressed up as Santa. This was a terrific issue, my favourite so far.

You just reminded me. I enjoyed Cable in the 90's cartoon but never read anything with him really until Cable & Deadpool. I'm curious what other worthwhile stories does he have.

I haven't read much non C&D Cable either, but the 2008 series I'm currently reading picks up where Messiah CompleX left off. Cable has the baby, and Bishop is chasing them through the time stream. Bishop's pretty much willing to do anything or kill anyone, because he's convinced that the world will reset itself when he kills the girl. I'm about 14 issues in, and it's currently crossing over with X-Force for Messiah War. There's Domino, Deadpool, Stryfe, Apocalypse... it's kinda like a Cable's greatest hits montage.

I didn't know Ultimate Peter Parker returned. I gave a very positive review here to Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man ages ago.

Yep. They totally shit all over the magnificent gravestone that was Death of Spider-Man, all for... well, basically no reason at all. They did absolutely nothing worth noting with the character after resurrecting him.

I didn't know Ultimate Peter Parker returned. I gave a very positive review here to Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man ages ago.

Yep. They totally shit all over the magnificent gravestone that was Death of Spider-Man, all for... well, basically no reason at all. They did absolutely nothing worth noting with the character after resurrecting him.

I figured the plan was for him to be revealed as not "the real" Peter Parker, but then the Ultimate Universe ended, so we're left with nothing.

I thought Death of Spider-man was super weak as a story, though I adore Miles Morales and felt a lot of the repercussions were cool. I wasn't upset at all that they brought Peter back though.

Scarlet Spider (Vol. 3): The Big Leagues collects Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) #16-19, Superior Spider-Man Team Up #2 and Scarlet Spider #20 in this order by Christopher Yost. Kaine is roped (pun originally not intended but let’s go with it!) in #16 into attending a rodeo by his supporting cast with fun consequences. In #17-19 Kaine is called to carry out a hit by the Assassin’s Guild after he promised one in return for a contract getting cancelled on a friend in #3-4, the target is Wolverine. This was an entertaining action filled arc. Aracely was the star of it. Superior Spider-Man Team Up #2 features the first meeting between Scarlet Spider and the Superior Spider-Man. Scarlet Spider can’t understand the way Peter Parker is reacting to him. Parker’s reacting that way because mind and body is controlled by Otto Octavius, Doctor Octopus who was once killed by Kaine. The story concludes in Scarlet Spider #20. This was very good.

Scarlet Spider (Vol. 4): The Hunt collects Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) #21-25 written by series writer, Christopher Yost who is joined by Erik Burnham for #21-24. In #21-23, Kraven the Hunter and his daughter, Ana Kravinof goes for Kaine, the Scarlet Spider with his supporting cast in danger. This is one of the main storylines from the run. #24-25 deals further with the fallout from the conclusion to that arc. I was fortunate to get this new book out from the library before everyone else. I was surprised at a number of things from it. It was a very good book.

I previously recommended Christopher Yost’s Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-22 run with Doctor Otto Octavius as the Superior Spider-Man. Halfway through Yost’s Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) with Kaine as the title character, I would have recommended it. Having finished the entire run, I can all of Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) #1-25 along with the Minimum Carnage event issues outside of it - Minimum Carnage: Alpha #1, Venom #26, Venom #27, and Minimum Carnage: Omega #1.

New Warriors (Vol. 2): Always and Forever collects New Warriors (2014) #7-12 written by Christopher Yost. In #7-8 there is a battle between the New Warriors and Inhumans for Haechi, an Inhuman but a member of the New Warriors. This Inhumans extremist branch wants no more humans and after Terrigenesis, Lash decides if they deserve to be Inhuman. It was a good story. #9 sees Scarlet Spider returning to Houston where he didn’t want to be with Justice. Scarlet Spider’s return brings with it a unique adversary. This was a great issue, felt like an extra issue of Scarlet Spider which I welcomed having read the whole run (#1-25). #10-12 pits New Warriors against the High Evolutionary, Evolutionaries and the Eternals over wanting to remove all more than human by science, magic, Mutants, Inhumans, Clones and from Atlantis…Is a faction misled? A very good story, #12 was the final issue of the series. I enjoyed this book even without reading the first volume which isn’t available from the library. 

Read through Schism, and am reading the Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny books that came out of that.

I'm really loving the class of kids at the Jean Grey school, especially Broo.

• Like 2

Read through Schism, and am reading the Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny books that came out of that.

I'm really loving the class of kids at the Jean Grey school, especially Broo.

Vol 1 of Wolverine & the X-Men is a modern day classic.

• Like 1

They shot Broo, and I swear, I hadn't felt that legitimately bummed out about a fictional character since Wallace in The Wire.

Then when I realized he didn't die, a speck of dust flew right in my eye.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #1 by Christopher Yost is basically Avenging Spider-Man with a new name and the same writer from Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-22. SpOck is on the search for a virus which jumps between hosts. This has more guest stars than the previous team-up stories written by Yost with the Avengers, Daredevil and more. A good issue.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5 by Christopher Yost. The Wrecking Crew tries to steal a Quantum Particle Engine from Alchemax. Sun Girl tries to stop them and is joined by SpOck with the Superior Six mentally controlled by him. I was fortunate to have spotted this issue while out. I bought it because of the writer as I’ve read all his issues on Avenging Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider and now Superior Spider-Man Team-Up having really enjoyed all of them. I can say the same about this very good read. I also laughed at some of SpOck’s dialogue, a regular occurrence in said issues by Yost.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #6 by Christopher Yost. Spider-Man with the Superior Six and Sun Girl battle against the Wrecking Crew again now assisted with the Masters of Evil for the Quantum Particle Engine. A good issue.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #7 by Christopher Yost. The Superior Six are now free from SpOck’s mind control wanting revenge on him and New York City via the Quantum Particle Engine. Sun Girl tries to stop it. This was a great issue, one of the few when Otto Octavius admits his mistakes for what’s happened. The last two pages are particularly special.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #8 by Christopher Yost. Otto Octavius has possessed Peter Parker’s body and proclaims himself the Superior Spider-Man. Here SpOck takes responsibility for his faults, a rare moment so Spider-Ock is going to Avengers Tower to reveal the truth. Along the way, Namor, the Sub-Mariner is attacked by Wakandan guards so SpOck gets involved. A really good issue, I particularly enjoyed Superior Spider-Man’s dialogue which made me chuckle and Spider-Ock returning to the final place he and Peter Parker battled at, Otto as Peter and Peter as Otto in The Amazing Spider-Man: Dying Wish. This was Christopher Yost’s last SpOck issue, a shame as Yost is the best Superior Spider-Man writer. I hoped there would be a Superior Spider-Man book set in an alternative universe where SpOck survives and Christopher Yost is on it. Sadly neither will happen.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #5. A conversation between Captain George Stacy and Matt Murdock as Murdock offers protection to him/his daughter from Captain Frank Castle. The other is Captain America and Detective DeWolff about Spider-Woman (Spider-Gwen)/Peter Parker/The Lizard and Harry Osborn. A talky issue and a very good one at that. The character bio is on Frank Castle. I’ve really enjoyed these additions to Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2).

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #6. Spider-Gwen goes up against Harry Osborn’s Green Goblin and it’s resolved not in the usual comic book manner. Gwen and her father have a heart to heart chat. This issue concluded the Greater Power story on a good note. The issue’s character bio is about the Green Goblin.

• Like 1

I'm just in the run-up to Superior Spider Man now. Just finished ASM 698 where the change occurred. Hoping Kingsley pops back up as Hobgoblin at some point too, he was always one of my favorite Spidey villains.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve said:

I'm just in the run-up to Superior Spider Man now. Just finished ASM 698 where the change occurred. Hoping Kingsley pops back up as Hobgoblin at some point too, he was always one of my favorite Spidey villains.

I look forward to your opinion. I'm a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man era.

Well, I read the first six issues, and I really enjoy a lot more than I thought I might.

My major fear going in was that it would be skeevy with SpOck being around Mary Jane and some others, but it seems like they've addressed that and moved on quickly. Anna Maria is already a pretty awesome development.

I'm going through a Marvel NOW! reading order, jumping around between books, so that's it for Superior for a while. But I'm looking forward to the next arc when it comes back around. 

• Like 1

Um... well, I was going to say I hadn't come to that yet, but then a cursory glance through the list didn't show anything, and nothing is listed between 2010 and 2016 as far as an ongoing...

Did they title it something different, by any chance?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found them, didn't realize they had subtitles. They still come before the Marvel NOW! branding, so they aren't included with the reading order. I'm sure I will check them out eventually, though.

Yeah, the Liss one was the one I was talking about.

I'd forgotten about the current one, I've kinda gone off current stuff for budgetary reasons.

I shouldn't have assumed he was even asking me, lol.

The Liss series was awesome. I really wish his run was long enough that he got to write T'Challa in Wakanda.

I picked up the the first issue for the newest series today though I probably won't read it until tomorrow.