DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm going to start posting my comic book reviews again. The reviews will be a mixture of ones I've read but never posted my review till now or books recently read. The following is in the former category.

Spider-Man 2099 (Vol. 1): Out of Time collects material from The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 and Spider-Man 2099 (2014) #1-5. The material from The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 is a short sample for the main title. It’s a good one I read when I bought said issue. Spider-Man 2099 was brought back into the spotlight in Dan Slott’s The Superior Spider-Man #17-19 as Spider-Man 2099 arrives from that time to fix the present only to be stranded in the present day. It’s one of Dan Slott’s best Spidey stories and was my first introduction to the character, I liked him.

This title brings back Spider-Man 2099 creators Peter David/Rick Leonardi with artist Will Sliney who drew the material taken from The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 and Spider-Man (2014) #1-4. In #1, Miguel O’Hara’s Spider-Man 2099 has a hit on him from an agent of a future group who eliminates mistakes and #2 deals with the main aftermath to that story. Miguel works for Alchemax which has recently started in the present but will grow to be an evil corporation where Miguel once lived. Miguel is trying to stop it before going that road but has difficulty when Spider-Slayers are to be sold to a dictator oppressing his people in #3-4. This is a great story and the best of the book. #5 is an Edge of Spider-Verse tie-in as Miguel sees different worlds Spider-Man 2099 getting murdered by Morlun. I really enjoyed this book in its own right, more when compared to The Amazing Spider-Man (2014). My money would have been better spent on this series.

It seems like it's already been established that Cho can't keep up with the schedule of a monthly book.  Surprised they're trying again (kinda expect the plan is for him to leave the book after one arc, but we'll see).

Cho got taken to the cleaners by his ex-wife in their divorce. He admitted on his blog that he did that awful Savage Wolverine arc to finance his most recent Jungle Girl mini-series, but I don't think those actually sold very well, if at all, so it's back to the grind of a monthly Marvel title to try to re-fill his coffers.

Maybe next he'll put out some new Liberty Meadows instead of fueling his beyond tired jungle goddess fetish.

It seems like it's already been established that Cho can't keep up with the schedule of a monthly book.  Surprised they're trying again (kinda expect the plan is for him to leave the book after one arc, but we'll see).

Cho got taken to the cleaners by his ex-wife in their divorce. He admitted on his blog that he did that awful Savage Wolverine arc to finance his most recent Jungle Girl mini-series, but I don't think those actually sold very well, if at all, so it's back to the grind of a monthly Marvel title to try to re-fill his coffers.

Maybe next he'll put out some new Liberty Meadows instead of fueling his beyond tired jungle goddess fetish.

That's a bummer about his divorce, but one would assume he makes a killing in commissions, even without travelling to cons, that he wouldn't have to take books he doesn't want to do.

It's not a problem as long as they don't sleep together.

Oh, they will, trust me.  There is nothing Quesada/Alonso/Buckley like to do more than troll "marriage fanboys."

Mary Jane: So, Mr. Stark, do I get the job as spokesmodel.

Tony Stark: [Locking the door] I don't know, Ms. Watson, what say we take a roll on my casting couch?

That's a bummer about his divorce, but one would assume he makes a killing in commissions, even without travelling to cons, that he wouldn't have to take books he doesn't want to do.

Actually, checking his blog for the first time in about a month this morning, I see that Frank and his fiancee/second wife/whatever have just bought a house and are having the kitchen completely remodeled, so I can totally see him buckling down and committing to another monthly title.

Not trying to be snarky.  If the new wife wants a new house with granite countertops, than you'll buckle down and crank out a monthly Hulk series if that's what it takes for the downpayment.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I kinda expect to walk into my lcs tomorrow and discover that they only got a partial shipment because the delivery truck had an accident and the box CA: White was in caught fire,  Or was consumed by a plague of moths.  Or there was a printing error and every copy of the book is nothing but a page out of an old Archie comic x 31.  Or the book arrived but can't be unloaded off the truck because Joe Quesada went feral and is sitting on top of the truck attacking anyone who gets too close.  Or....

Anyway, I'll believe it when I have a copy in my hands.

• Like 2

All-New, All-Different Marvel is coming up. Which books are you getting? Spider-Gwen is a definite even though it doesn't need to be relaunched after five bloody issues. I'll pick up the first three issues of The Amazing Spider-Man and see if I like the direction. Hoping I prefer it to the last volume. Dan Slott's hit and miss lately though I really liked The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. Might pick up the first issue of Spider-Man 2099 as I liked the book collecting Spider-Man 2099 (2014) #1-5 I read from the library.