DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I've been using the MCU app since it first launched.  It can be pretty frustrating at times, as its "smart" view is way inferior to Comixology and the gaps in the collection are infuriating, but I'm certainly getting my $60/year worth.

Miracleman didn't actually ship this week.  As for X-Factor, it was good but not blow-away good. (See above.)

Here's your big comic book news for the day:

spider-man%202.jpg

It looks like everybody was right about Superior Spider-Man being a not so permanent thing. And fans of amazing will be getting there wish to have Superior cancelled. Recently revealed in Marvel Solicitations, Amazing Spider-Man will be coming back with a new issue 1. With Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos still in charge of the creative team. Expect more info to come on the issue in the coming months.

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

Now it's seeing how Peter Parker returns and what happens to Otto Octavius, The Superior Spider-Man?

I'm kind annoyed Slott is writing it. This is pretty much the perfect time to let in someone new.

I was about to say Dan Slott's written a lot on The Amazing Spider-Man first as a team, then sole writer, The Superior Spider-Man and now a relaunch on The Amazing Spider-Man.

I've really liked nearly all of Dan Slott run as sole writer. I hope his work on this new volume is better than the last couple of stories (Ends of the Earth, Lizard-No Turning Back, Danger Zone and Dying Wish) before The Amazing Spider-Man ended with #700. The only story arc I really liked was Dying Wish. The other three weren't at the level of his best works (Big Time, Matters of Life and Death and Spider-Island). Dying Wish and his work on The Superior Spider-Man is a return to form.

I disagree. I enjoyed Ends of Earth way more than Superior Spider-man. Dying Wish was a bit too compacted though it did provide a strong emotional element to make up for it. Danger Zone was also pretty enjoyable though I felt the Alpha storyline was horribly rushed (could and probably should have been 6-9 issues). Superior Spider-man as a concept just doesn't really do it for me. Its too drawn out and makes Peter's closest friends, family, & teammates look like morons. Whats more I feel Slott overemphasizes Octavius's successes. Its a generally solid-good read because Slott is a good writer, but overall I'm not a fan of the concept and find faults with Slott's execution.

I'm not as high on Slott as a lot of people, but I've enjoyed Superior Spider Man an awful lot.  To the point where I would prefer Doc Ock to stay on for the duration.  Putting Peter back in the suit doesn't interest me much, but it was inevitable, and the new movie made it obvious that Pete would be back by May 2014.  I'm very surprised they've gone this long with Octavius in the role.

A couple things Slott has done haven't worked for me.  I complained about the "Peter as ghost conscience" stuff before, when the book first started,  And, yeah, the longer Superior Spider Man runs, the more obvious it is that the supporting cast are apparently clueless idiots for not thinking something's up.  I don't necessarily expect "normal" characters to think 'Pete's acting odd.  Maybe someone put their mind in his body.", but it wouldn't be a stretch for super heroes to consider mind swaps/possession/etc to explain odd behavior.

Still, I like the idea from a conceptual standpoint and Slott's mostly carried it off very well.

• Like 1

I was actually talking about the Spidey artwork. Doop has always looked like a big green turd and they got that right.

And to further rag on Ramos, the last time I saw a facial expression like that was on a meth-head who was being strapped to a gurney by a half-dozen of Albuquerque's finest.

I was actually talking about the Spidey artwork. Doop has always looked like a big green turd and they got that right.

And to further rag on Ramos, the last time I saw a facial expression like that was on a meth-head who was being strapped to a gurney by a half-dozen of Albuquerque's finest.

My mistake, since there wasn't a quote box I thought you were responding to the most recent art posted.  I apologize.

Check out the lower jaw and teeth on him there.

Ecstasy, man.

My mistake. He has teeth, so that would rule out the meth...

Ecstasy must be a helluva drug...

My mistake, since there wasn't a quote box I thought you were responding to the most recent art posted.  I apologize.

No worries, but I did have quite a laugh imagining an art director telling an artist how to draw an anatomically correct Doop

And his style did fit that book.

It did, but I think J.H. nailed it... He's either become increasingly sloppy, doesn't give a shit, or is farming his work out to students (who are not good). I think the guy is in his early forties so it's unlikely to be hand-crippling arthritis or anything like that. I'm going with (b.) doesn't give a shit and has a publisher who doesn't much care either.

I disagree. I enjoyed Ends of Earth way more than Superior Spider-man. Dying Wish was a bit too compacted though it did provide a strong emotional element to make up for it. Danger Zone was also pretty enjoyable though I felt the Alpha storyline was horribly rushed (could and probably should have been 6-9 issues). Superior Spider-man as a concept just doesn't really do it for me. Its too drawn out and makes Peter's closest friends, family, & teammates look like morons. Whats more I feel Slott overemphasizes Octavius's successes. Its a generally solid-good read because Slott is a good writer, but overall I'm not a fan of the concept and find faults with Slott's execution.

Yeah I know you rate Ends of the Earth more than I do. I liked it more on a second read but I'd still have it at the lower tier of Slott's solo work on Spidey. The Alpha story is last. The complaints that Superior Spider-Man makes those who truly know Peter look like morons is one of the most common along with Ghost Peter when he was around and those who don't like Superior Spider-Man at all as they want Peter Parker back.

I'm not as high on Slott as a lot of people, but I've enjoyed Superior Spider Man an awful lot. To the point where I would prefer Doc Ock to stay on for the duration. Putting Peter back in the suit doesn't interest me much, but it was inevitable, and the new movie made it obvious that Pete would be back by May 2014. I'm very surprised they've gone this long with Octavius in the role.

A couple things Slott has done haven't worked for me. I complained about the "Peter as ghost conscience" stuff before, when the book first started, And, yeah, the longer Superior Spider Man runs, the more obvious it is that the supporting cast are apparently clueless idiots for not thinking something's up. I don't necessarily expect "normal" characters to think 'Pete's acting odd. Maybe someone put their mind in his body.", but it wouldn't be a stretch for super heroes to consider mind swaps/possession/etc to explain odd behavior.

Still, I like the idea from a conceptual standpoint and Slott's mostly carried it off very well.

I'm surprised as well SpOck's lasted as long starting with The Amazing Spider-Man #698 and continuing to the present day. I can understand the Ghost Peter criticism in the early issues, sometimes I felt the same way. With you liking SpOck like you do, I recommend Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-20, Christopher Yost writes a great Otto Octavius as Spider-Man.

Press releases for the new Ultiverse books are out.

A new Ultimates team

Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Black Widow (Jessica Drew, clone of Peter Parker), Kitty Pryde, Bombshell (Lana Baumgartner), Cloak & Dagger

And new Ultimate FF

Tony Stark, Sue Storm, others