DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Speaking of Flair/Savage...

What is the better use of the song "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands..." in a wrestling show:

1) Bray Wyatt singing the song to John Cena in a promo to show Cena that Bray is corrupting the audience 

OR

2) Ric Flair singing the song to an angry and threatening Macho Man's face with his arms around Liz and Woman and the WCW Championship around his waist. "I got the whole world in my hands, I got the whole wide world in my hands...WOO!"

That's a rhetorical question because obviously the answer is number two. 

• Like 1

The neck injury that caused it happened in 1987. I remember reading articles in PWI around 1990 before he popped up in WCW talking about the arm being atrophied. Not unlike Daniel Bryan's situation nowadays.

At least Detroit didn't fall into the Atlantic ocean like Atlantic City did.

Atlantic City was saved because Donald Trump and his family jumped onto Hogan's back as he swam to safety.

I heard that The Giant falling from the top of Cobo Hall registered a 6.3 on the Richter Scale. What is it about Detroit that makes Hogan want to destroy it?

The neck injury that caused it happened in 1987. I remember reading articles in PWI around 1990 before he popped up in WCW talking about the arm being atrophied. Not unlike Daniel Bryan's situation nowadays.

I don't believe Daniel Bryan will come back with an atrophied arm.

If you like structureless, extremely charming matches, the six-man lumberjack strap match on the Nitro two weeks before Uncensored 1996 (I believe the March 11th show) is for you.

First of all, all the lumberjacks are wearing actual plaid shirts, which should be the standard for lumberjack matches going forward. Regal and Eaton have their little ruffles from their formal wear sticking out over the plaid - truly an amazing look. With the beard and the plaid shirt, Meng looks like a Tongan Richard Karn, which if you're reading this Meng is not an insult please please please don't decide to seek me out and murder me using only your left pinkie toe.

Anyway, this match doesn't really have a traditional pro wres narrative format and isn't a traditional strap match. They just give everyone straps to hit each other with - the lumberjacks AND the wrestlers (Hogan/Savage/Booty Man vs. Flair/Anderson/Sullivan). So this immediately explodes into everyone just whipping the crap out of each other with straps. At one point, Flair says "fuck it" and tries to run away, but then Animal runs him down and just hoists him over his shoulder and marches him right back, which was a really funny spot that is better than I described it. 

Flair is actually the star of this thing between that spot and Hogan just whipping the shit out of him until, in a short burst of bravery, he puts his dukes up and squares off with Hogan. Of course, Hogan whips him a couple more times and he's on his knees, begging off. 

The only thing that didn't work in this match is Kimberly coming down and acting smitten with the Booty Man. It's just not believable that she'd be in love with a goof like Beefcake. Sure, Johnny B. Badd was kinda a goof ("I DIDN'T SAY FOOOOOOOUR FLAT TIRES! I SAID...AAAAAAAAAAAAA FLAT TIRE!"), but he was also good looking enough that you could understand it. DDP was a total sleazeball, but sleazeballs with sleazeball charisma attract good looking girls all the time. Booty Man, though, I'm not buying. 

After the match, Sullivan, Arn, and Flair cut promos for Uncensored and that insipid two-on-nine triple cage match. Sullivan is whatever, but Arn has a nice two-minute thing where he bases his promo on a biblical reference or religious saying. He still works for WWE, right? He should be tutoring Bray Wyatt on how to effectively use religious or spiritual overtones in his promos.

Then Flair does a nutty old man Flair promo and storms the announcer's booth afterward for the hell of it. 10/10 stuff if you just want to have fun and realize why you enjoy pro wrestling. 

Crazy old man Flair promos were the best. Him capping off the Anderson "send one of theirs to the morgue" promo with asking Hogan, "so you thought that one day, you woke up and thought that you were a bad man? You are sooooo wrong!" and beating up the Booty Man was gold.

• 3 weeks later...

They really need to get up the 1997-98 Nitros. I missed a lot of the late 97 ones b/c the cable package I had in my college dorm didn't have TNT. My uncle would tape Nitro for me every now and then and mail me the VHS tapes (god I'm so fn old) but I missed a lot of the week to week stuff and only kept up via my shitty dial-up connection.

Late '97 with the Sting/Hogan stuff is when I really ramped up by WCW watching. Some of it is dogshit, but some of it is still unmatched in it's brilliance to this day. There's also tons and tons and tons of great matches with Jericho, Rey, Alex Wright, Malenko, Benoit if you're still into that, all the Mexican and Japanese guys, random sightings of classic WCWSN guys showing up for no reason on a 3 hour Nitro (Roadblock! Rick Fuller!) It was a great time, and I am super super super jonesing for those to get put up. Knowing WWE, they'll probably put up January - March 2001 without explanation first.

Guest Ramo2653

That stinks, I'm trying to watch WCW pre-nWo via the network and any WCWSN episodes I can find online and that one was missing. There's also some other episodes that are missing in March too. I know some of the April/May episodes were pre-empted due to the NBA playoffs.

Guest Ramo2653

I can watch Flair hitting Hogan in the eye with a high heel all day.

Preach. I know other have mentioned this in the thread, but I really like the idea of heels crashing the announce desk for a promo.

• Like 2

Guest Ramo2653

Another note from watching these Nitros: I wish the heel to the eye would come back as a finish but that would require valets. Maybe Lana and Rusev?

And Hogan had a crappy figure four.