DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

Skyler's in worse trouble than anyone, legally.  She's the one who managed all the dirty money.  Walt hasn't touched any of it and could easily get out of any money laundering/tax evasion trouble that Skyler would be in. 

I really think Hank was preparing to throw Sky under the bus.  He knew good and well that she would be better served by a lawyer.  His obsession with Heisenberg is bigger than anything else in his life.  As he told Walt, "You think I give a shit about family?"  He cares about them as much as he does the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. 

Was his approach on Skyler ill-advised? Not based on what he knew and saw. My guess is the suicide attempt in the pool led him to believe she would be open to any way out. He couldn't have known about her giving $600K to Ted, and then sending the goon squad over to Ted's house which I believe were foremost in Skyler's mind when they met.

I agree on this.  I think that Hank, having had Walt confirm that he was Heisenberg, had his first thoughts drift towards protecting his family.  That speech he gave Skylar about Marie being everything to him was 100% legit - and I believe that after that garage door closed, his first instinct was to protect his family, and thus the call to Skyler.  If you are Hank, you are probably thinking "Man, I am a decorated DEA agent, and Walt had me fooled... I have to let Skylar know what Walt has been up to" - not ever thinking that Sklyer knew.  When Skyler asked if she was under arrest and for her attorney, Hank's world came crashing down yet again, as he jumped to the conclusion that Skylar was in on it.  In reality though, like Saul pointed out, Skylar knows what is going on, but no details, or exactly what has gone down.  All she could really say to Hank is that Walt is cooking meth, and he gives her a shit ton of money. 

The problem is Hank made an emotional move trying to protect his family from his family. He is the same guy that asked his civilian brother-in-law to drive him on ill-advised stakeouts that he wasn't suppose to be doing in the first place. Hank's one glaring weakness is that he doesn't have a good pokerface. Sure, he can get a weak minded girl working at a gas station to break down or piece together parts of an investigation to corner potential suspects. But when worse comes to worst, he breaks down badly given the extremely high standards of his job. 

I really think Hank was preparing to throw Sky under the bus.  He knew good and well that she would be better served by a lawyer.  His obsession with Heisenberg is bigger than anything else in his life.  As he told Walt, "You think I give a shit about family?"  He cares about them as much as he does the Fourth and Fifth Amendments.

I am almost 100% certain Hank didn't say that, or at least not in the sense that you're construing it.The Hank hate is strong with you.
  • Like 1

Oh it certainly is.  What does he say there, then?  When Walt tells him to think about the family, during the garage scene?  I probably watched that five times and it's what I heard, but I could be wrong.

Walt was trying the "think about what this could do to our family" emotional blackmail.  Hank said "You don't give a shit about family.", not "I don't give a shit about family."  The latter makes zero sense for him to say in that scene.

It's actually really hard to make out what exactly he's saying because he's being all gravel-voice and Walt talks over him. Some people have interpreted it like you did, but others, including me (EDIT: and Shylock, apparently), think it's actually, "Family!? You don't give a shit about family." He may in fact be saying something else entirely (Don't give me shit about family?), but I definitely don't hear a hard "I" sound in there.

It's actually really hard to make out what exactly what he's saying because he's being all gravel-voice and Walt talks over him. Some people have interpreted it like you did, but others, including me, think it's actually, "Family!? You don't give a shit about family." He may in fact be saying something else entirely (Don't give me shit about family?), but I definitely don't hear a hard "I" sound in there.

I totally didn't understand all of what Walt and Hank were saying in the final scene until I saw the replay an hour and a half later. I was literally in suspense for that long.

I'm rooting for Hank and I probably have been for a few seasons now.  For one, he has to put up with Marie every day and that alone makes him a sympathetic figure. He has that fake tough guy persona he uses to cover up his weaknesses, but still has to be a badass from time to time.  Just a well thought out character and the shootout with the twins is still a top 5 moment.

I think he actually did want to help Skylar out of a horrible situation, but the meeting in the diner was first and foremost about the recorder in his pocket.  There have been quite a few different takes on that scene, but I don't for one second believe that Hank considered Skylar innocent.  I still think he wants to help her (if only for Marie and the kids), but in the diner he simply thought the best road to answers was to treat her like a victim.  Playing dumb to get what he wants is right in Hank's wheelhouse.

It bothers me that, despite all their well-deserved anger, Marie conveniently forgets that Walt's drug money is one of the main reasons Hank had access to his rehab.  I feel Marie and Hank are more "in" this situation than they realize.

That is a great point that unfortunately will probably not be addressed. 

I'm almost 100% certain it will be.  Hank only has the job he has because his old boss liked to grill out with Gus Fring from time to time.  The relationship with Walt is obviously much much worse, but Hank still believes that he can keep his job if he brings in the case.  It's certainly not going to happen that way and I think the rehab money will play a big part in that.

Thinking on it, there's no way it can't come up from Walt, that is def. something that he will pull out eventually. I can see Hank trying to disguise it from his superiors and failing horribly. Given the factor, the case might have such a stain bureaucratically on the agency that they might not try to pursue it.

I am not sold on the cig thing. And Jesse not going on the trip was so obvious that I thought he'd end up going just to swerve us. Another great ep, though.

I honestly thought the swerve was gonna be the Aryans showing up to take care of him. Then he got all wigged out about his cigaretter pack and I said, "oh brother, they gave in to all the 'Jesse's gotta find out about Brock and/or Jane' speculation"...

I thought Walt's "confession" was awesome and Jesse's flip-out in the last thirty seconds made up for his lesser than stellar involvement up to now.  So was his bumping into the security guy what jogged his memory about the cigarettes?  Or did he just magically figure it out?  I'm a little hazy on where the "a-ha" came from.

EDIT:  Never mind.  So security stole his weed after he wouldn't give it up, and then he figured out they stole the ricin cigarette in the same fashion.

I thought Walt's "confession" was awesome and Jesse's flip-out in the last thirty seconds made up for his lesser than stellar involvement up to now. So was his bumping into the security guy what jogged his memory about the cigarettes? Or did he just magically figure it out? I'm a little hazy on where the "a-ha" came from.

His weed was stolen by the bump and he put it all together. A bit of a logic leap but pissed off Jesse is amazing

Jesse's realization about the cigarette continues the fine tradition of the entire Brock poisoning storyline being the worst thing the show has ever done.  Luckily this show is so amazing that bad writing like that really stands out as something out of the norm.  I suppose it still falls under the "possible but not probable" heading and I can live with that.

All that said the restaurant scene, the confession video and the Walt/Jesse hug were some of the best moments on the show.  The confession, in particular, stands out as one of those moments where I found myself sitting gap jawed, shaking my head back and forth and thinking "that bastard...that...bastard."

• Like 2

So, you see, all those fears of Hank & Jesse teaming up were completely unfounded.

The business with Jesse finding out about the cig swap wasn't the most artful thing they've ever done, but I think it was necessary for them to cover that, and that was probably the only way they could've done it. Plus, it works because 1) he figures it out for himself, and 2) he figures out that he had it right to begin with.

But Walt's house didn't look burned in the flash forward, so I'm guessing Jesse doesn't get aroud to lighting the match.

Jesse's realization about the cigarette continues the fine tradition of the entire Brock poisoning storyline being the worst thing the show has ever done.

Oh come now.  The worst storyline the show ever did was the Season 2 plane crash.  I could rationalize most everything on this show, but how they got to that finish was pretty ludicrous.

I believe at the time they concieved season 2, they weren't guaranteed season 3, so they went for a big crazy ending.

That said, I fucking loved that. The whole season was like the biggest, darkest joke imaginable. That was the moment when I knew I was ALL IN for wherever this show wanted to take me. When I started the thread for the show on the old board prior to season 3, I called it the best show on TV in the subtitle, back before anybody was really talking about the show in those terms, based on that pay off.

Jesse's realization about the cigarette continues the fine tradition of the entire Brock poisoning storyline being the worst thing the show has ever done.

Oh come now.  The worst storyline the show ever did was the Season 2 plane crash.  I could rationalize most everything on this show, but how they got to that finish was pretty ludicrous.

That finish is only really ludicrous if you consider Walt having that chance meeting with Jane's father as being outside the realm of possibility.  To me there isn't anything else in that story that stood out to me as being implausible. 

The Brock poisoning storyline takes us accepting that Huel is capable of getting the ricin cigarette from Jesse without him noticing.  Did he switch out Jesse's pack for a fresh one?  Did he somehow just take the individual cigarette?

On top of that are the issues of how Walt got the Lilly of the Valley to Brock, Jesse jumping to the conclusion that Walt poisoned Brock (when it really made no sense for him to think that despite it being true), and now Jesse again piecing it all together tonight on very minimal evidence.

I accept the whole Brock storyline because it is all POSSIBLE.  It's just implausible enough that it stands out on a great show as being bad writing. 

Again, all that said, I think this is the best written show I've ever watched and a small hiccup now and again doesn't really hurt the overall product.

• Like 1