DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I guess they must have decided that a former world champion legitimate cage fighter working with the company's top babyface inside the company's signature cage might have been too successful or something.

I think the real problem is having a PPV called Hell in a Cell that requires the titular match in a dead zone month. Hell in a Cell should only happen at the organic end of a feud, not necessarily because October.

Arguably, if you had foresight with booking, you could make sure your main event feud would peak at HIAC. If you started a new feud right after or at Summerslam, you would have a two month build to the October show.

• Like 3

I guess they must have decided that a former world champion legitimate cage fighter working with the company's top babyface inside the company's signature cage might have been too successful or something.

I think the real problem is having a PPV called Hell in a Cell that requires the titular match in a dead zone month. Hell in a Cell should only happen at the organic end of a feud, not necessarily because October.
Arguably, if you had foresight with booking, you could make sure your main event feud would peak at HIAC. If you started a new feud right after or at Summerslam, you would have a two month build to the October show.

If you had foresight. They don't even know what's going to happen 20 minutes from airtime.

• Like 2

RVD and Jericho have both come back and disappeared again without explanation. 

The strangest thing about this is that those two sort of got killed on a couple TVs and then showed up for like another week after that before disappearing. Orton murdered RVD on the SmackDown following Dean's thing with the cinder blocks, but RVD showed up the next week. Jericho's knee died a death in the cage match with Bray and then Orton season-premiere'd him. 

Orton's seriously being undermined by their ho-hum booking. 

I agree with you 110% on that. HIAC should be a feud-ending extra boost to a regular PPV, not a "themed" PPV in and of itself. But given the way Brock/Cena has gone down so far, the logical ending taking place at HIAC seemed to be a happy accident.

• Like 1

Rollins/Ambrose is the natural choice to headline hitc. Cena/Lesnar isn't even much of a personal feud it's just two guys fighting over a belt to prove who's dick is bigger. Give me Ambrose/Rollins type hate feud every time.

RVD and Jericho have both come back and disappeared again without explanation. 

The strangest thing about this is that those two sort of got killed on a couple TVs and then showed up for like another week after that before disappearing. Orton murdered RVD on the SmackDown following Dean's thing with the cinder blocks, but RVD showed up the next week. Jericho's knee died a death in the cage match with Bray and then Orton season-premiere'd him. 

Orton's seriously being undermined by their ho-hum booking. 

Orton's being used to put over younger guys. Orton destroys a vulnerable Jericho (in that spot because of Bray's sadistic nature) and takes him out. But Orton and Kane are struggling with Ambrose while Seth has jumped them in The Authority's totem pole.

I'm fine with him being underminded if it means someone who is really good gets over.

They also built Orton last year really strong as a stooge/weasel. He wasn't the sadistic maniac he's been in previous incarnations. He was the hand-picked pretty boy who needed evil refs and other chickanery to not lose the title to Bryan. He beat Cena pretty cleanly, held off having to deal with Batista who was angling for backing from The Authority, and finally cleanly lost to the hero. That was some really good cowardly heel stuff.

He put over The Shield strong with the Evolution stuff and regained some heat by dismissing Jericho.

I'd rather Bray take Jericho out, but if they're shelving The Wyatts for a bit to freshen then up, use it to rebuild a guy a bit who is being used to get Ambrose and Rollins over.

I agree with you 110% on that. HIAC should be a feud-ending extra boost to a regular PPV, not a "themed" PPV in and of itself. But given the way Brock/Cena has gone down so far, the logical ending taking place at HIAC seemed to be a happy accident.

Well, they booked themselves into a corner with this rematch. They clearly want to keep the title on Brock and keep him strong, but they also don't want Cena to eat another pinfall to Brock. Assuming they aren't stupid enough to put the belt right back on Cena, but they're also too worried about Cena losing again and looking weak in the eyes of his fanbase, the mistake was running Cena/Brock III for the gold at NoC instead of maybe waiting to do it after Brock finally loses and letting Cena beat him in the rematch there.

NoC should have really been a placeholder one-month feud for Brock. Toss him in there against Ambrose or Ziggler, let him win a fairly dominant fifteen minute main where the opponent is never really competitive, but takes a load of punishment and gets the crowd behind him just for taking so much of a beating, and move on to your next feud for Lesnar for HiaC. 

Instead, they run a match in the main event of NoC that logically should lead to a final cell match that they can't do because they can't do another fuck finish the very next month in a one-on-one match, but they also have no desire to have either guy go over the other right now. 

I guess there is one more option - do a triple threat at HiaC where the third guy eats the pinfall for Brock so Cena loses without really losing, but then you're shoe-horning another guy into what was really a one-on-one feud where Cena needs to come back and beat the dominant monster, which is less-than-optimal narrative structure.

• Like 2

Rollins/Dean would be an amazing main event, and it would go a long way in training the WWE audience that a main event doesn't need the title in the picture. It would also make title matches an even BIGGER deal instead of a thing that has to happen every month.

Rollins/Dean would be an amazing main event, and it would go a long way in training the WWE audience that a main event doesn't need the title in the picture. It would also make title matches an even BIGGER deal instead of a thing that has to happen every month.

It also devalues the title like we saw with the US Championship when Dean had it.

If you want amazing main events without the title it has to start with consistent writing, character, and storyline development.  

Rollins/Ambrose is the natural choice to headline hitc. Cena/Lesnar isn't even much of a personal feud it's just two guys fighting over a belt to prove who's dick is bigger. Give me Ambrose/Rollins type hate feud every time.

Besides, we already know whose dick is bigger. 

Well, the one on his chest, at least.

Per Mike Johnson

If you have been waiting word on when Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling will produce their first events, this should make you happy. If you are a fan of New Japan Pro Wrestling, this story should really make you happy.

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources in the PPV industry that a Global Force Wrestling PPV event is on carriers' schedules for 1/4/15. Of course, 1/4 is the date of what has been the biggest Japanese event of the year for seemingly forever, the annual New Japan Pro Wrestling Tokyo Dome event.

It would appear that Jarrett's company has brokered a deal to bring the Tokyo Dome show to United States PPV for the first time. Sources indicate that the deal and all marketing for the PPV would be branded GFW, not New Japan.

Jarrett, who announced plans to launch GFW the day after Wrestlemania 30, was revealed as a member of the Bullet Club faction in NJPW recently. Jarrett departed TNA in December 2013, although he remains a minority owner in the company.

When reached this afternoon via telephone, Jarrett declined to comment on this story.

Yeah... I don't think New Japan fans will be happy

• Like 1

goddamn, I just got the vision of Cena standing in the ring, throwing his hat, starting at the ramp, waiting....waiting....the crowd clamouring....waiting....make em wait for it pal....

"RUSEV DACHANEK! RUSEV BLAHBLAHBLAH" *dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dundun*

he would be the best defending monster champion ever. Sorry but my boner for Rusev puts Batista's Dick to Shame. I think you could build the whole company around him for the 3 years.

• Like 2

Per Mike Johnson

If you have been waiting word on when Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling will produce their first events, this should make you happy. If you are a fan of New Japan Pro Wrestling, this story should really make you happy.

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources in the PPV industry that a Global Force Wrestling PPV event is on carriers' schedules for 1/4/15. Of course, 1/4 is the date of what has been the biggest Japanese event of the year for seemingly forever, the annual New Japan Pro Wrestling Tokyo Dome event.

It would appear that Jarrett's company has brokered a deal to bring the Tokyo Dome show to United States PPV for the first time. Sources indicate that the deal and all marketing for the PPV would be branded GFW, not New Japan.

Jarrett, who announced plans to launch GFW the day after Wrestlemania 30, was revealed as a member of the Bullet Club faction in NJPW recently. Jarrett departed TNA in December 2013, although he remains a minority owner in the company.

When reached this afternoon via telephone, Jarrett declined to comment on this story.

Why? Besides branding the Tokyo Dome show as a GFW event, we'll finally be getting the PPV in the States. I don't see a bad thing about this? Not like Jarrett is going to insert himself into New Japan's show. It'll probably be a cross promotional PPV, matches from each company. I'm perfectly fine with this.

Per Mike Johnson

Why? Besides branding the Tokyo Dome show as a GFW event, we'll finally be getting the PPV in the States. I don't see a bad thing about this? Not like Jarrett is going to insert himself into New Japan's show. It'll probably be a cross promotional PPV, matches from each company. I'm perfectly fine with this.

I still think GWF could work best as a WWEN for the indies and Japan. create a broadcast platform for all the companies and have quarterly PPV events with an established touring world champion.

• Like 1