DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Brock's always been a heavy sweater.

No kidding - every time he comes to the ring for a segment on RAW, I immediately notice how his upper lip is just drenched in sweat.

He needs his kickass beard back that he had in UFC.

No more beards. Even Ozzie sang about this ...

• Like 2

So was rovert the dvdvr version of that Dolphins guy from reddit? :lol:

It's always fun the guess the segment when they're just clearly starting to fill time until the main event.  It usually involves Heath Slater.

The crappy thing about that is that they could be using those three hours to actually get guys over by letting them wrestle extended matches. I may have mentioned this already in the Nitro thread in the Network folder (which, I am taking a break from since I spent like a week straight watching Nitro from the time I got home til the time I went to bed, and got burned out right as Hall and Nash debuted and shit started heating up)-- anyway, the thing about Nitro was that even though the announcers did nothing but talk about the NWO the entire time, they at least gave time to the undercard to shine in the ring. Sure, there was still a ceiling for those guys, but it's maddening that WWE would rather give time to a bunch of meaningless comedy or diva segments instead of letting them have decent, competitive, TV matches, that would do SO much more for them.  Take Rey-- he was one of the most over WCW talents of all, and I swear to God, I don't think I saw him cut a single promo or "act" in some shitty vignette from 1996-1999 (which, let's be real, The Filthy Animals weren't going to move the needle when the WWF was as hot as it was). Even my non-fan friends know Rey from the Revenge game! He's still over to this day, and he hasn't even had human knees since 2005! There's a reason that everyone from Jericho to Rey to the Radicals to Raven  were over as soon as they hit WWF TV despite the fact that they had never even gotten a second of airtime with them before they were brought in.

Agreed.  For all its faults, WCW was good at making the undercard titles mean something by having guys feud over them in angles that made the belts actually seem important to the people vying for them and gave them promo time and everything.  They didn't have that much more tv time than the WWE does now and had probably twice the guys on the roster, but even with massive NWO segments they still let tons of the undercard wrestlers fight regularly.

• Like 2

It also helps that the WCW midcarders weren't working the same exact match as every other WCW midcarder. You'd get a cruiserweight bout, then two guys trying to punch through each others' faces, then a nice matwork match. You'd also get matches with clear clashes between technique (as when Dean Malenko would wrestle a Mexican cruiserweight). 

It's hard to tell the WWE midcarders apart when they're all wrestling the same formula match. I fully believe that one of the reasons that both the Shield and the Wyatts got over (in a multitude of reasons) is that they were wrestling trios matches that had just enough of a different structure from typical tag matches to catch everyone's eyes. 

• Like 4

Brock's always been a heavy sweater.

I vividly remember a 1991-ish PWI when they had the page of 6 Scouting Reports and one of Irwin R. Schyster's "weaknesses" was that he sweated a lot in his shirt and suspenders.

if you can't look at a picture of a guy and determine if he has a heart ailment.. how can you determine that?

Is he a great big fat person?

we might only be able to determine diabetes from pictures, not heart ailments

(i'm horrible)

So anyways.. what's the most preposterous thing about wrestling/WWE that could get repeated in a mainstream organ and then addressed by the WWE?

• Like 1

Damn damn damn ... now I'm going thru my day saying, in my head, "Everybody lies. Everybody lies. Everybody lies. Everybody lies ..."

I'm trying to make it less intrusive by putting different accents and inflections on the various syllables, but still.

perhaps the first Ultimate Warrior was the result of Fritz Von Erich's work with the students of Wernher Von Braun to create a clone of his son Kerry in order to create more Von Erichs. Then Fritz got cheap, Warrior was released without mentioning him as a Von Erich, and the Von Erichs just bought Lance Von Erich instead.

• Like 3

perhaps the first Ultimate Warrior was the result of Fritz Von Erich's work with the students of Wernher Von Braun to create a clone of his son Kerry in order to create more Von Erichs. Then Fritz got cheap, Warrior was released without mentioning him as a Von Erich, and the Von Erichs just bought Lance Von Erich instead.

I forgot about Fritz's Nazi connections.  Clearly the Ultimate Warrior Program was part of Operation Paperclip.

• Like 2

Would anyone be shocked if Brock did have heart issues? We have wrestling history and probably twenty years of steroid use. I do not want to hear any naive shit about the phony wwe wellness program, ufc testing, or even ncaa testing. I have bosworth, sonnen, and multiple deaths in my favor.