DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I watched some Mid-South a few days ago, around the time where Darsow became a Russian sympathizer. Bill Watts cited his Estonian wife on his talk about Russian aggression. Unfortunately, he divorced that wife and she got the MidSouth video cache, so Watts can't be called on to cut a promo on Commies/Rusev/Russians since the Russians randomly arrested an Estonian police officer this week.

Darsow kinda looked like Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket shortly after he began aligning with the Russians.

It'd be kinda fun if some American guy just aligned with Rusev/Lana. Although that might involve the American essentially being Rusev's Stevie Richards, and eating beatings from American babyfaces before Rusev jumps the face from behind and puts him in the Accolade.

I'd rank Mid-South highly for 80s wrestling that is easy/enjoyable to watch in the 2010s. It's just all-killer stuff and has some sort of relevance, instead of it being like an hour of squash matches in front of an anonymous crowd watching the 4th hour of a 9 hour TV taping

May i humbly recommendation www.russianflagburial.com to supplement your mid-south watching?

I don't what the hell lead to it, but I just watched the part in the Scooby Doo/WWE movie in which Sin Cara flipped his way into the scene while a Spanish guitar cord played in the background. He then pulled a magnet out of no where. When Thelma asked where he got it from, Cena said, "He's a luchador. Gotta be ready for anything."

Funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Watching the DVD of the Porterdale, GA, Chikara show that I took my kid to, with said kid, and she asks me when does "John Cena's little buddy" come out. It occurred to me after several minutes that she was referencing Sin Cara, from the "Scooby Doo" movie.

Of course, she shut it on up whenever Ophidian came onscreen; kid *loves* Ophidian.

BTW, I'd just like to thank whoever it was on here that provided the guide to the Bellas.  I've never been able to figure out which one was which until someone on here posted: "Nikki = Knockers, Brie = Bryan" and now it all makes sense.  So, whoever that was, thank you again.

• Like 6

i think i may have found the beginning of the "kicking out of finishers" era. wwf ground zero (97).

the patriot hits bret hart with the Uncle Slam. bulldog saves bret.

Vader throws hart into the steel steps, then patriot lands with the Patriot Missile. 2 count.

another Uncle Slam. bret gets his foot on the ropes.

apatriot locks Hart in the Sharpshooter. Bret reverses it. patriot fights i but eventually succumbs.

bret, with no ill effects, continues to beat down the Patriot post match.

thanks for effectively killing off both of his finishers, jerk.

Vince Russo playing EWR is crazy to me, since I've been playing one form or another of that game since, like, 2003. The original message board for that game (EWB) rivals this board when it comes to wrestling discussion and other things, too. Only two boards I post on, actually.

EDIT: And now I'm emailing Russo back and forth about EWR. This is crazy.

Re: The discussion about who faces Brock next, someone mentioned Dolph's name. I think that's the answer. Crowds love that guy for whatever reason. If he got a one-shot against Brock where he was basically doing the one thing he does best, bumping, for fourteen of the fifteen minute match and getting flash attempts at pinfalls the other minute, the crowd would be totally into the underdog thing. 

Now I think I'd really like to see that match. 

• Like 1

There's not even a good kay fab reason to do Lesnar vs. Show again.

Sheamus vs. Lesnar is what's up.

Sheamus successfully defends against Cesaro at NOC.  US Champ vs. WHC at HIAC(?).  Lesnar beats Sheamus in a good match but Sheamus gets the shit beat out of him.  Rusev beats Sheamus for the US Title the next night on Raw.  Reigns over Rusev for the US Title at whatever the next PPV is.  Sheamus heel turn, says he was worn down going in against Rusev and that he's the one that softened up Rusev for Reigns.  Reigns over Sheamus in December.  Reigns wins the Rumble.  Reigns beats Lesnar at WM.  $$$

Can't believe they had R-Truth end Bo Dallas' win streak.  Reigns was right there.  It's not like they did anything with Truth afterwards.

If reports are to be believed, WWE is beginning to look beyond John Cena as their eternal number one guy, thanks to the increasing injuries the star has sustained over the last few years.

John Cena has been the number one man in the WWE for close to ten years now. Ever since he won his first World Title by defeating John Bradshaw Layfield at Wrestlemania 21 in 2005, Cena has been booked as the top guy in the WWE. He has main evented the wide majority of WWE events, as well as had two matches with The Rock. Cena has won 15 World Titles with the company, beating most legends in clean fashion along the way. Moreover, Cena sells more merchandise for the WWE than anyone else. He is also very popular with children, who are WWE's core audience.

But Cena has suffered a number of neck and shoulder injuries over the last few years. He came back from a tricep injury within four months to the Royal Rumble in 2008, though he was supposed to be out for double the time. Later on that year, Cena suffered a neck injury, and once again, he returned within months. Then he left WWE following Summerslam 2013 for surgery on his arm, only to return by the end of the year. While Cena has shown a remarkable tendency to recover quickly from major injuries, it is now reported that the repeated injuries have taken a toll on his body and that he is working injured most of the time. This cannot be good news for a company whose franchise star is Cena. WWE has resisted turning Cena heel for so long precisely because he brings in so much money. In this scenario, losing him altogether would be a nightmare for Vince McMahon.

It is then a matter of concern that Cena took 16 German suplexes against Brock Lesnar in their match at Summerslam this year. Lesnar also pounded him in quite a realistic fashion enroute his now-legendary victory. Besides, Cena has been on nearly every show for a decade, as well on every Pay Per View event. He has done live shows to add to the weekly RAW and SmackDown shows, traveled several countries, and been an ambassador for WWE as well. Therefore, the time has come for WWE to take a good look at how much they can push Cena from now on. 

WWE's problem for the last several years has been that they have been unable to push any other wrestler to be an equal to Cena. No other wrestler has been given as much spotlight as Cena, or promoted so heavily. Main eventers have come and gone but Cena has remained at the top. If Cena has to step down from that level due to his health problems, someone else has to be built up to take his place. WWE have currently placed their faith (or so it seems) in Roman Reigns, but given Cena's popularity with children, replacing him will be an onerous task for WWE. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan continues to be out with a shoulder injury.

Reportedly, Vince McMahon is upset that the company is unable to build main event stars as fast as it should. There are rumours that WWE is planning to move Cena more into an acting role. While Cena has taken time off to shoot movies recently, there is also talk of having him play a less active, less frequent role in the ring. 

All in all, it does not look like the leader of the Cenation has too many years of his career left.