DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I was just reading that Vince Russo claims he was offered the head booking job with WWE in mid-2002. He apparently conditioned it on Glen Gilberti being brought in and when WWE balked, he said no. 

Ignoring that Russo is likely lying, could you imagine WWE if Russo had been head writer in 2002?

It was Foley, Bischoff, Goldberg, and someone else. Still beats what we got that year. People were already complaining about how repetitive Raw was back then.

2002 was actually probably the last time I watched WWE and expected any sort of surprise or left turn in the storytelling. Undisputed Champion Chris Jericho, the tail end of Austin's run, arrival of the NWO leading into Rock/Hogan, brand split, rise of Brock, HBK returns, Scott Steiner debuts. Once the show started being HHH doing those long promos at the top of the show, I started mentally checking out, but most of 2002 was pretty cool.

So, yeah, I've been re-watching 1998 Raws, some of it's shite, some of it's good. I find myself skipping a lot of the matches involving some of the deadwood they had on the roster at the time though.

It's nice to know that DX were as obnoxiously smug and shitty as I remember them. Even at 13, I hated that crap, I remember a lot of friends eating that shit up at the time but even then I found it irritating how smug they were and how much they thought they were so Goddamn HYSTERICAL. Some of their segments went on for days too.

Austin/Vince stuff still holds up. I had forgotten all about Vince's promo after Austin offered him a free punch when he explained that he didn't want to put the Mania main event at risk by punching Austin and putting him out of action with a broken jaw. Tremendous.

Obviously, it goes without saying and all but, holy shit, Steve Austin was over. The reaction he got the night after Wrestlemania? Sweet Jesus.

Sable was inexplicably over too, I mean I know it was the 1990s and it was the Pamela Anderson era and she was a big pair of tits in front of an audience filled with horndogs and...well, yeah, probably explains why she was so over I guess.

But, yeah, Steve Austin good, DX bad. Nothing's changed in the 16 years (SIXTEEN!) since I watched them.

I think it was 03 to be honest. I could be wrong. It's associated with Evolution in my head.

From what I remembered it lasted a weekend until Vince realized it really wouldn't work.

According to Wikipedia, it was "mid-2002" and Russo pitched bringing in Eric Bischoff as GM, so it had to have been before July

Totally tripping on this right now: which wrestler has yellow and purple gear? I'm thinking it's someone Japanese, like Hiroshi Hase.

I'm gonna roll the dice and say Mr. JL?

So, yeah, I've been re-watching 1998 Raws, some of it's shite, some of it's good. I find myself skipping a lot of the matches involving some of the deadwood they had on the roster at the time though.

It's nice to know that DX were as obnoxiously smug and shitty as I remember them. Even at 13, I hated that crap, I remember a lot of friends eating that shit up at the time but even then I found it irritating how smug they were and how much they thought they were so Goddamn HYSTERICAL. Some of their segments went on for days too.

Austin/Vince stuff still holds up. I had forgotten all about Vince's promo after Austin offered him a free punch when he explained that he didn't want to put the Mania main event at risk by punching Austin and putting him out of action with a broken jaw. Tremendous.

Obviously, it goes without saying and all but, holy shit, Steve Austin was over. The reaction he got the night after Wrestlemania? Sweet Jesus.

Sable was inexplicably over too, I mean I know it was the 1990s and it was the Pamela Anderson era and she was a big pair of tits in front of an audience filled with horndogs and...well, yeah, probably explains why she was so over I guess.

But, yeah, Steve Austin good, DX bad. Nothing's changed in the 16 years (SIXTEEN!) since I watched them.

I know I'm definitely in the minority on this one, but a lot of times when I watch Raw today, the thing I miss most about those days is the "crash TV" pacing of the show. There are some weeks where I feel like I'm in a time vortex and that three hours is somehow six months long.

• Like 1

I thought Honma too but I recall him as straight yellow and looking at photos his trim is red now. Mabel is purple and gold. Never watched Mr. JL (at least that era). Hase is probably who I'm thinking of but it's actually yellow and blue, judging from his boots in the pics thread photo of him and Kensuke and the photos I found. Anybody else?

I know I'm definitely in the minority on this one, but a lot of times when I watch Raw today, the thing I miss most about those days is the "crash TV" pacing of the show. There are some weeks where I feel like I'm in a time vortex and that three hours is somehow six months long.

I think it's because every segment seems independent of the rest of the show.  There's rarely much crossover between feuds or characters interacting with other characters simply because they're all in the same damn building.  It took them weeks to finally have a segment where Big Show addresses the fact that Mark Henry is in two feuds. 

• Like 1