DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

how come they got rid so quick?

Vince didn't want to leave. Johnny Ace was the perfect stooge to take over for Vince, but despite Vince being too old to take beatings anymore he was like "DAMN IT, I GOT A FEW MORE IN ME". And now we have COO Triple H. Had they let Johnny Ace be his full corporate douchebag potential, he would be at least in Kane's role right now.

I just can't believe after lighting up crowds across the country, saving the WWE from the orton/batista disaster and carrying Mania on his back to a very respectable buyrate people are debating whether Bryan was just a bunch of smarks being smarky.

I can't think of a more ridiculous talking point that routinely pops up.

What's worse is that it's being done on a wrestling message board.  If you are on the Internet arguing about wrestling, you are by definition a smart mark.  One bunch of smart marks trying to act like they're somehow above some other group of smart marks is some self-loathing, weird shit.  It's like a bunch of Special Olympians sitting around calling each other retarded. 

• Like 1

When veterans talk about things not being like they were in the "old days", is it more of a pining for the days of everyone believing it's legit or just a sad, pathetic cop out for not growing up and finding a way to make a living? Not really a deep discussion, I guess. I haven't gone to sleep yet and this was a topic earlier while amongst friends. Thoughts?

I always feel like it's the former.  The business moved away from kayfabe, and focused on huge athletic feats that the vets could no longer do.  It's harder for them to engage a crowd these days, especially when the fans are looking for flips.  They miss the stronger sense of kayfabe, and the fans giving a shit about who wins the matches.

I say it every time someone brings him up, and I don't fucking care..

I miss Big Johnny. :(

Big Johnny vs Punk was the most obvious "Let's play to the Internet" deal. I loved Big Johnny.

My favorite moment of that whole program was when Punk called him "Super Dave" lol, and the live crowd popped huge.  Everyone watching was already thinking the same think.  The guy had such a striking resemblance to Bob Einstein both vocally and physically.  It was uncanny

When veterans talk about things not being like they were in the "old days", is it more of a pining for the days of everyone believing it's legit or just a sad, pathetic cop out for not growing up and finding a way to make a living? Not really a deep discussion, I guess. I haven't gone to sleep yet and this was a topic earlier while amongst friends. Thoughts?

I chalk it up to human nature. Those "we were 80's kids! We had to be home when the streetlights came on! We didn't need the internet to have fun!" memes your dimwit cousin floods Facebook with are the same stuff. Everything used to be better, everything sucks now, and the next generation will be even worse. It's not wrestling specific.

• Like 4

I say it every time someone brings him up, and I don't fucking care..

I miss Big Johnny. :(

Big Johnny vs Punk was the most obvious "Let's play to the Internet" deal. I loved Big Johnny.

My favorite moment of that whole program was when Punk called him "Super Dave" lol, and the live crowd popped huge.  Everyone watching was already thinking the same think.  The guy had such a striking resemblance to Bob Einstein both vocally and physically.  It was uncanny

LOL I think Punk referred to him as "Funkhauser" as well.

• Like 1

There's an indy wrestler in my area named Dave Osborne(if not his real name, close to it).  No, his ring attire is not mostly white with stars.

I remember Super Dave's appearance as a guest star on TNA during Bischoff's regime.  Borash was bugging him about whether he was on social media and he just grumbled "No, I pick up a phone and CALL SOMEONE..."

All this Punk talk got me thinking, where the hell are my ice cream bars? I can't even imagine how much money was lost over not reintroducing those bars. 

There was this brief moment where they struck the perfect tone with Big Johnny. Where he wasn't really a villain. He was just an ass-kissing incompetent boob who would just get yelled at by Punk week after week. You almost felt bad for him.

We also got that great Big Johnny tribute video.

All this Punk talk got me thinking, where the hell are my ice cream bars? I can't even imagine how much money was lost over not reintroducing those bars. 

There was this brief moment where they struck the perfect tone with Big Johnny. Where he wasn't really a villain. He was just an ass-kissing incompetent boob who would just get yelled at by Punk week after week. You almost felt bad for him.

We also got that great Big Johnny tribute video.

Big Johnny was a total weasel heel. One of my favorite heel moments is when he held the tuition for Teddy Long's grandchild over Teddy's head. Making another man say, "I'm better than you" and then forcing him to rub baby oil on the man who stole away your love interest when not dressing like you're a soldier in front of Big Ben is heeling at its finest.

Let it be said, I totally enjoyed seeing Teddy Long humiliated like that.

All this Punk talk got me thinking, where the hell are my ice cream bars? 

Punk is selling them at his new job - a food truck chef in Wicker Park.

What?  Waffle House has food trucks now? 

• Like 1

All this Punk talk got me thinking, where the hell are my ice cream bars? 

Punk is selling them at his new job - a food truck chef in Wicker Park.

Yes it sounds like a million dollar plus step down but at least he didn't have to feud with Kane. Principles people

If you are on the Internet arguing about wrestling, you are by definition a smart mark. One bunch of smart marks trying to act like they're somehow above some other group of smart marks is some self-loathing, weird shit. It's like a bunch of Special Olympians sitting around calling each other retarded.

Well that's a nice thing to say. Maybe rovert of all people is right... something is happening with the board. Lots of mean spirited posts for no reason.