DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Vince: "I mean if you remove it from the intratube thingies it never existed, right?"

WWE has removed all references about their invite to Michael Sam from their website and YouTube channel. The WWE.com article about Sam as well as Stephanie McMahon's open letter to Sam now redirect to the RAW home page. As noted earlier, Sam, who is the first openly gay NFL draftee, is expected to join the Dallas Cowboys practice squad this week.

The nWo's end has probably been fantasy booked more than any angle in history (even the invasion) but everyone's ideas are always the same - Sting goes over quick and clean, nWo disbanded (for now), no split in the nWo. But when complete strangers all across the world have their brains sink up that well you know WCW really fucked up. That Kevin Sullivan idea is pretty great - was he not booking at this time? (not that it would've made much difference - creative control n'all that).

I don't know about the Sting Outcast army. I did like the Savage team up and it was nuclear but the thing I loved about Sting was how he was on his own. As an aside, if they had run with that angle, I'd have liked to have seen the Starrcade match be a lumberjack match. At least then you have an excuse for Hogan to hide behind shenanigans but it's a moot point as Sting should've still gone over strong and clean

I think time has forgotten how insanely over the Wolfpac was. It should have stayed just being Hall, Nash, Savage & Konnan though. Luger & Sting wearing the NWO letters just felt dirty. Have Sting as the champ taking on all contenders while Wolfpac and Hollywood feud on. Have the losing team disband match at Fall Brawl 1998 with the Wolfpac going over.

• Like 1

There's a story in Jerichos first book of a fan jumping the guardrail and running into the ring during a match of his while he was in WCW and the ref proceeded to beat the person up.

That was Mark Curtis. Some fan jumps in and Curtis chokes him out.

• Like 2

Morton Downey Jr. died years ago.

I'm sure they still attempted to reach out to him.

God I really hope they did. Triple H explaining he's dead and Kevin Dunn being the ultimate suck up probably said "we can work around that".

I can then see Vince saying "Hey, what about that black guy who they made a hologram of? Could we do that? Who was that anyway?"

EDIT: I recall someone's bio saying Nick Patrick was pretty salty and would cold-cock a motherfucker that got in the ring. Might've been Bret?

• Like 1

The nWo Wolfpac was really over and viewed as "cool" at the time, at least by me and my middle school buddies. Didn't last though. Ideally, the Wolfpac would have just been Hall, Nash and Syxx (assuming WCW never cut him) and maybe Konnan. Savage and especially Luger and Sting just didn't fit. There was legit money in a Nash/Hogan program, even though the matches would have sucked, as Nash was always kinda viewed as the most likely to rebel against Hogan. Whenever dissension was teased, it was centered around Nash and the crowd was always hot for it.

I still think WCW did long term damage by holding off on Hogan/Sting for so long. Yeah, the buyrate was incredible, but WCW from August 1997 until Starrcade was almost pointless to watch. They were clearly just killing time until Starrcade. Hogan/Sting at The Great American Bash or Bash at the Beach probably would have drawn a similar, if not quite as spectacular, buyrate and would have allowed WCW to keep going instead of being in a holding period while the WWF was finally starting to turn their show around.

I don't know if anyone else has touched on this, but can people please stop putting an S at the end of Monday Night War?

Yeah.  There was only one.  Raw vs. Impact was less a war than a massacre.

War can be lopsided. Maybe Spike didn't give them enough time to hit their stride. Nah, I'm just kidding. I'm not THAT kind of TNA fan. Moving to Monday nights was probably their dumbest idea to date. I can't think of anything that can top it. I'm sure the rest of you might be able to though.

*When I think about it, it was pretty cool to be able to jump between shows to see Bret and Vince on one show and Hogan and Flair on the other. Then 10 seconds later I snapped out of it and realized that it was 2010 not 1997.

There's a story in Jerichos first book of a fan jumping the guardrail and running into the ring during a match of his while he was in WCW and the ref proceeded to beat the person up.

That was Mark Curtis. Some fan jumps in and Curtis chokes him out.

Boma Ye into a Front Face Lock. Nakamura's idol has been revealed.

You know, the Raven storyline in WCW was interesting continuity when you consider that in ECW, it was established that Raven had attended summer camp. I always imagine Raven's parents sending him to summer camp, hoping it would reform him but failing miserably.

I don't know why but reading that lead to images in my head of Raven's parents sending Blue Meanie to fat camp and Raven coming back and the parents looking at each other and saying 'baby steps'

I really hate Raven and think he is ridiculously overrated, but the one thing I loved about him was his backstory. ECW never pretended that Raven was some new guy... he was Scotty Flamingo or Johnny Polo (rich, arrogant, preppy) who was going through some crazy internal crisis. He was a poser but he was charismatic enough that he could get other misfits and delinquents to worship him and do his dirty work. I really wish it would have at some point gotten to where we found out Raven, instead of sleeping in a van covered in Seattle based grunge rock bank posters, would secretly slip out at night and get a room at the Hyatt while letting him cronies stay behind in the van. Then he would sneak in early the next morning (at like, 11AM) before the other misfits woke up and be all "Yeah man, I was here the whole time."

Is there more than one Star War?

I like Monday Night Wars pluralized.  There was the active WCW/WWF war and there's the current war WWE continues to wage against WCW's corpse in order to rewrite history.

TNA's Monday night offensive would've been a lot more effective if they hadn't shelved so much of their modern weaponry in favor of arming up and misfiring with so many outdated weapons during their opening salvo.  Who needs Beer Money when you can go to war with a morbidly obese Brian Knobbs instead?

• Like 1