DVDVR Message Board

WWE Home Video Revisionist History

Mid 1990's WCW main event scene being built around Steve Austin and Dustin Rhodes is part of a universe I wish I lived in but can't fathom ever existing.

Funny how in a span of three years we go from Rhodes the never-say-die babyface conquering scumbag Austin to crazy beer-drinking redneck Austin stuffing crossdressing Rhodes into a Port A John.

• Like 1

Mid 1990's WCW main event scene being built around Steve Austin and Dustin Rhodes is part of a universe I wish I lived in but can't fathom ever existing.

Funny how in a span of three years we go from Rhodes the never-say-die babyface conquering scumbag Austin to crazy beer-drinking redneck Austin stuffing crossdressing Rhodes into a Port A John.

I don't know where you could have fit it in but a Goldust/Austin feud for the WWF Championship in 1998 would've been off-the-charts awesome. Texas Redneck vs. Feminine cross-dresser pretty much writes itself. 

• Like 1

Wait your dad's band opened for BTO? THAT'S AWESOME! You let him tell you about that as many times as he needs to you ungrateful little bastard!

Actually, I based said fictional anecdote on the fact that, while my dad wasn't a musician, I actually DID open for Eddie Money.

Eat it, haters. He had two tickets to paradise...

• Like 1

Watching the Pillman DVD last night, they said the Blondes were broken up because they got over, then Dusty comes on there implying it was because whoever was booking at the time didn't want them getting over and was still working on top -- obviously a dig at Flair, right? Who was booking or was it still the committee when that happened? I can see Dusty just blaming Flair without naming him because either he did it himself or just to poke Flair in the ribs.

They basically throw them to together coz they had nothing for them, Austin and Pillman put it all together with the outfits and clapboards, had great matches with everyone then they got split up coz they dared get over and showed the shitty Horsemen up. And yeah it was Flair booking as head of the committee

Here's some more history for that ass! People who say splitting the nWo up was a bad idea are bullshitting! Kids at my school were all like "I'm Hollywood!" or "Wolfpac in the house!" and it was actually COOL.  Did it make sense for Sting to be in the Wolfpac? No, not really. But everyone loved it. Everyone was either like "Hey yo.." or "YO YO LET ME SPEAK ON THIS!"

• Like 2

Latest Monday Night War reminded me of how much I fucking hated DX, even as a teenager.  Also I hate their constant wankery over how "awesome" DX was.

Same here.  I've never enjoyed any version of DX, and hated it more and more with every reunion or rehash.  "Suck it" became a wrestling version of "Git R Done"

Here's some more history for that ass! People who say splitting the nWo up was a bad idea are bullshitting! Kids at my school were all like "I'm Hollywood!" or "Wolfpac in the house!" and it was actually COOL.  Did it make sense for Sting to be in the Wolfpac? No, not really. But everyone loved it. Everyone was either like "Hey yo.." or "YO YO LET ME SPEAK ON THIS!"

I love the idea of school age kids popping over NWO Hollywood.  "Man, Horace and Vincent 4 Life!!!!!!"   Wolfpac kids saying "Too sweet" while Hollywood kids repeating Stevie Ray's use of the phrase "fruit booty." 

(I have no memory of whether or not Stevie Ray was saying fruit booty while with the NWO, but since it's a revisionist history thread, I'll just go ahead and say he was.)

• Like 1

I think my biggest problem with the latest Monday Night War is that it's all (I'm still watching it) 'YEAH, DX SAVED US!', when, up until Mania 14, there's a small boost in ratings, and then, when Austin is on top, it takes the fuck off, but...yeah, DX saved it.

I'm not saying DX isn't important, but, I mean, sorry Shawn, Steve Austin was the guy.

I think my biggest problem with the latest Monday Night War is that it's all (I'm still watching it) 'YEAH, DX SAVED US!', when, up until Mania 14, there's a small boost in ratings, and then, when Austin is on top, it takes the fuck off, but...yeah, DX saved it.

I'm not saying DX isn't important, but, I mean, sorry Shawn, Steve Austin was the guy.

Also thought it was interesting how they don't even mention Montreal at all

yeah DX original, Rock v Austin, Ken Shamrock and Sable were pretty much the only reasons I was tuning in to WWF in early 98. As a teenager, DX were perfect with the windshield wipers as Sarge talked, the game of cards in the ring etc...and the theme tune was awesome

I can't hate on the original DX too much because they had Rick fucking Rude in the group. I haven't seen the stuff since it aired, but wasn't NAO move over than HHH by far? I really haven't watched any of these MNW shows. I made it about 5 minutes into the first one and after the narrator uttered the phrase sports entertainment for the 15th time I got sick and turned it off.

My roommate is digging the MNW series, but after sitting in for about 30 minutes total, I'm really not feeling it. Maybe it's because I revisited long stretches of WCW and Attitude WWF in linear order pre-network, but the manufactured narrative drives me nuts. It's like 1997-2000 was a singular point in time in this series. Things like the TLC matches had fuck-all to do with winning the MNW, because WCW was pretty much dead at that point. Watch New Blood Rising and tell me if you think WWE needed to do anything to draw people away from WCW in August of 2000.