DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 49: Henderson vs. Dos Anjos (8/23/2014) - Tulsa, OK (BOK Center)

Elsalvajeloco

280l3lw.jpg

UFC Fight Night 49: Henderson vs. Dos Anjos

August 23, 2014

Tulsa, OK (BOK Center)

Benson Henderson (155.5) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155) - Dos Anjos, KO (punches), R1 (2:31)

Mike Pyle (170.75) vs. Jordan Mein (170.25) - Mein, TKO (punches), R1 (1:12)

Francis Carmont (185.75) vs. Thales Leites (185.25) - Leites, KO (punches), R2 (0:20)

Max Holloway (149) vs. Clay Collard (149.75) - Holloway, TKO (punches), R3 (3:47)

James Vick (154.75) vs. Valmir Lázaro (155) - Vick, DEC (unanimous)

Chas Skelly (145.5) vs.Tom Niinimäki (145.25) - Skelly, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:35)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:

Neil Magny (170.75) vs. Alex Garcia (170) - Magny, DEC (unanimous)

Beneil Dariush (155.5) vs. Tony Martin (155.5) - Dariush, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:38)

Aaron Phillips (135.25) vs. Matt Hobar (135) - Hobar, DEC (unanimous)

Ben Saunders (170) vs. Chris Heatherly (170) - Saunders, SUB (omoplata), R1 (2:18)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Wilson Reis (124.75) vs. Joby Sanchez (125) - Reis, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Ben Saunders
Performance of the Night: Thales Leites
Performance of the Night: Jordan Mein
Performance of the Night: Rafael dos Anjos

Attendance: 7,119

Gate: $452,075

Rating: 689,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Jordan Mein vs. Thiago Alves - Injury to Alves (Knee)

Wilson Reis vs. Tim Elliot - Injury to Elliot

Mirsad Bektic vs. Ernest Chavez - Injury to Chavez

Brandon Thatch vs. Jordan Mein - Injury to Thatch (Broken Toe)

Mike Pyle vs. Demian Maia - Injury to Maia (Staph Infection)

Max Holloway vs. Mirsad Bektic - Injury to Bektic

Between Henderson and Cowboy there isn't going to be any reputable challengers whenever Pettis gets healthy.  Between the two of them, they seem to fight every two weeks, and at this point I don't think either of them are marketable challengers to Pettis based on their past histories. 

Benson is going to steamroll Dos Anjos, isn't he?

Considering what he did to Khabilov, I'd say there's a good chance he does.

Matt Serra is an analyst tonight, he used the word problem about 6 times in one sentence about Dos Anjos needing to take down Henderson.  They need to find 3 or 4 guys who can do that job and stick with them, because some of these guys are just not equipped to talk on live television. 

Ah, jeez, I'd like for Benson to be at least afforded the opportunity to show he was out.  

I agree, the replay doesn't look good though.  This is another reason it sucks that the title has been held up for so long Dos Anjos has been on a roll, and is still a couple fights from fighting for a title.  He just had the biggest win of his career, and there is a good chance he can lose to one of the 275 contenders at 155. 

Ah, jeez, I'd like for Benson to be at least afforded the opportunity to show he was out.  

I agree, the replay doesn't look good though.  This is another reason it sucks that the title has been held up for so long Dos Anjos has been on a roll, and is still a couple fights from fighting for a title.  He just had the biggest win of his career, and there is a good chance he can lose to one of the 275 contenders at 155. 

With the way things work, Pettis vs. Melendez will be a close fight and UFC will book an immediate rematch.

It sucks but that's the nature of the business.  It sucks that fighters get injured after they are booked in title bouts and there is no real way to get them back that shot.  Also, Dos Anjos has two wins now, but he still got beat by Nurmagomedov who was arguably ahead of him before this bout.  But injuries and the wait for the title fight keeps Nurmagomedov from moving forward as well.  And even though Nurmagomedov already beat Dos Anos, you can't realistically book that rematch right now the way the first fight went.

I could see why he stopped it, but there was another fight tonight with 3 knockdowns, and the ref never came close to stopping it. 

dos Anjos looked great though, and has for his last 5 fights. Just really shows you how insane Khabib is. 

I agree, the replay doesn't look good though. This is another reason it sucks that the title has been held up for so long Dos Anjos has been on a roll, and is still a couple fights from fighting for a title. He just had the biggest win of his career, and there is a good chance he can lose to one of the 275 contenders at 155.

With the way things work, Pettis vs. Melendez will be a close fight and UFC will book an immediate rematch.

So are we really talking about the possibility of being upset that we have to sit through a rematch of a great fight?

My complaint is based on the fact that we're missing great fights, because Pettis isn't defending the title.  Between Henderson, Cerrone, Dos Anjos, and that Russian guy with the hat, they've been fighting a murderer's row of contenders without the possibility of actually fighting for a title.  Add Alvarez into the mix and there is a possibility that all the work those guys have put in over the last year and a half won't ever be rewarded with a title shot.  Pettis could come back only to find that there aren't any credible contenders because they've all weeded each other out.

I agree, the replay doesn't look good though. This is another reason it sucks that the title has been held up for so long Dos Anjos has been on a roll, and is still a couple fights from fighting for a title. He just had the biggest win of his career, and there is a good chance he can lose to one of the 275 contenders at 155.

So are we really talking about the possibility of being upset that we have to sit through a rematch of a great fight?

When the belt has already been held up for a year and a half, yes.

Personally I hate immediate rematches because it holds up the entire division.  Right now we are in the middle of a 15 month wait between lightweight title bouts.  Considering this is the most stacked shark infested division in the sport, that's a huge problem.  I wouldn't be against a potential Melendez/Pettis rematch even its a great fight.  However, what happens to the rest of the division?  

The difference is this division is stacked.  So there is no holding up the division.  There's plenty of guys for everyone to fight.  So yeah, while I agree that the title not being defended for a while kind of sucks, it doesn't really matter because we continue to see great fights in the division.  It's not a scenario where the division is thin or average and you have the champion injured, and then the top contender sitting out waiting for their title shot.  There's a bunch of legit contenders and they're all continually fighting each other.  

The only thing we're actually missing out on is watching Anthony Pettis fight.  Which does suck.  But we aren't missing great fights.  Great fights continue to happen because the rest of the division is continually moving, it's not being held up.  

Now you have this 2002-2006 Shooto/PRIDE thing going on where there is this MMA math connection between all the top fighters in division. It's going get even more interesting with Alvarez onboard. A few years ago, all that had become irrelevant because Edgar and Maynard (pretty much the whole UFC title picture then) were not linked other than through BJ Penn (but who also didn't fight a bunch of top lightweights).