DVDVR Message Board

Rey Mysterio Jr. coming to AAA?

Big E Lashley

That interview took place before Wrestlemania 30 though. A lot can change in several months. 

Konnan has hinted at it before on his podcast, and they are good friends. And he also recently blasted the WWE on social media telling them to "#FreeRey" due to the whole forced contract extension. It would seem that Konnan might be a guy that Rey vents his frustrations to. Not saying Konnan's word is gospel of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rey does go to AAA at some point. 

it's a nice thought but the best source I could find (didn't look too hard) says nay

http://superluchas.net/2014/03/18/rey-mysterio-tengo-planeado-ir-la-aaa-quiero-seguir-en-la-wwe/

The translated comments on that article are hilarious.

I could see this being a good move short-term, but he'd blow out his knee for the 1,000th time. Then what? He'd be better off staying in WWE and being "an ambassador to the Latin community" and making that sweet, sweet merch money off the sale of his replica masks. Then again, maybe that isn't so profitable.

When he came back to WWE last time for about two days before he got hurt again, no one really seemed to care, so the "one big last match" option may not be available to him. 

Rey's definitely coming to AAA whenever he gets out of his WWE contract. The rumor going around was he'd show up even as soon Sunday at TripleMania (with the idea that he was contesting the roll over clause by not cashing his checks and considered himself out of contract). AAA shot down that idea today, specifically saying they're respecting WWE's contract with Rey. This just means they're probably waiting until 2015.

If Rey's too broken down to wrestle and can only wave and be a figurehead, they can take that. It's not as though the demands to actually wrestle are that great for legendary guys in Mexico tho'.

It definitely seems like he'd better off with a long term WWE relationship to keep cashing those checks and being treated as a legend, but the guy moved a lot of merchandise while he's been there. He must have a decent amount saved up if he's already chasing the WWE checks. The difference in money may not be as important to him as where he wants to work.

If Rey is able to go back to Mexico to wrestle or what ever, would he wear the mask? He lost in WCW but we all know how the WWE was like ehh that didn't really count. I know he's wrestled for the WWE in Mexico with it on, but I could almost see the WWE being dicks and being like the Rey Mysterio mask is our intellectual property.

I would imagine if they put him up against the right guy, Rey vs. whoever in a Mask vs. Mask or Mask vs. Hair match as his swan song would do pretty damn well for him.

"Rey Misterio" is trademaked by Rey Sr. in Mexico.

"Rey Mysterio" is trademarked in various fashions by WWE, though most of them expire on 12/17/2014

"Rey Misterio Jr." and "Rey Misterio Jr." are untrademarked.

There's sometimes some art work for a mask design or logo includes in the trademark application - CMLL does that a lot. I didn't see anything for Rey. As long as they call him by the "i" name, WWE doesn't have anything and they probably wouldn't fight it to begin with.

Rey couldn't do a mask vs mask match because he's already lost the mask. Fans would reject it, the guy beating him would get nothing out of it and the fans would be upset they don't get the real masked Rey Misterio Jr. Rey can make so much money just showing up that doing a major stip match as an end wouldn't be worth his time.

Can you project what you think CMLL's going to do to counter any of this, if anything? Do they even need to or is their business steady and their product niche?  I'm still wrapping my head around the business side of things.

CMLL has the Anniversary. That's where they'll make their money. They don't really care what AAA does.

"Rey Misterio" is trademaked by Rey Sr. in Mexico.

"Rey Mysterio" is trademarked in various fashions by WWE, though most of them expire on 12/17/2014

"Rey Misterio Jr." and "Rey Misterio Jr." are untrademarked.

I'm assuming CRZ still owns the copyright on Raymond Stereo?

• Like 1

CMLL's expenses are paying the wrestlers/referees/ring announcer. That's it. That's why sometimes people really are talking out of their ass when they say CMLL is dying because they put only 2000 fans in a building that seats 17,000-ish. That's all profit. The tickets, the merchandise, a cut of the TuriBus & concessions.

Do you know how overjoyed any promoter would be if he/she was told the ONLY expense they'd have would be paying wrestlers? CMLL has a business model like no other.

I've always said only 2 things will ever kill CMLL:

1) Paco Alonso dies & the company falls into the hands of someone who wants to divest from any and all interest in Lucha Libre. This seems unlikely as currently the guy it would fall to appears to be his son-in-law who is still somewhat of a fan.

2) A major earthquake or some sort of act of mother nature causes serious damage to Arena Mexico which necessitates it being torn down & re-built. In a situation like that it's possible it wouldn't be cost-effective to do the repairs and the family would rather sell the very valuable property.

TV is all profit too. Production is done in-house. CMLL will never pay for TV time. It's just not in their mindset since they've never had to. Doesn't matter if a TV station is willing to pay $50 or $50000 per episode - they'll sell them a show. I believe in some cases they even have advertisers that pay them to advertise on the shows so when you buy a CMLL show you have to air their advertisements. This was an issue that kept a new CMLL news show off of TVC Deportes since TVC Deportes couldn't show the ads CMLL wanted as the station had a pre-existing deal with a direct competitor.

I also forgot to mention all those rotating ads you see on the ramp/stage/guardrail are more profit. Again not a huge source of profit but it's free money since they're just plastering a logo on something that is there anyways. When the guardrails went up in 2012 it was thought of as a safety measure after an incident earlier that year with Sombra but they wasted zero time in getting ads up on that thing so it was definitely part of the decision making process.

All this is also a reason CMLL over the past few years has run more Arena Mexico shows and cut down big time on when they run Arena Coliseo. Arena Mexico looks way better for TV.