DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 8/15/14

victor

Lots of voddy helps the wrestling and writing go down. I think me and assfax have things in common. 

Goddamn was Miz getting potatoed great, even better him looking like a wounded child and running away to mommy with the announcers saying "he looks like he's going to cry". Best use of him ever. 

"Lickin' some window on a streetcorner homeless" - JBL... that might even be better...

...and holy fuck Cesaro is dead. That may be the best damn DDT I've ever seen. The sad thing is that DDTs are now transitional moves in WWE so Cesaro gets up waaaaay too fast from such a realistic one. The receipt on the slingshot lariat counter was pretty nasty too. Both guys are just killing each other; fuckin BURNING HAMMER but Dean's still up. Flash finish and man what a sprint, both guys were just eating each other alive and there deserved to be like 2 more minutes of selling in this for the moves they were taking but I wouldn't mind seeing something this spirited every single broadcast. If this were on Hulu I'd just rewind the match. Hopefully they use the tease of Cesaro at ringside for SummerSlam to make them have their own beef and we will get this every single broadcast. Or at least after they have a proper blowoff to him and Rollins.

Good to see Titus again and Heath being the second giving advice just because he won twice in a row is hilarious. Fun skin-the-cat spot and Titus will manhandle you. This show is becoming a potato-fest with that nasty dropkick to Titus in the corner and yet another kick that flattens Ziggler. This is the Ziggler I can watch, decent back and forth, gets his ass kicked but comes out in the end without dragging it out to eternity and having him taking at least three ludicrous and career-endangering bumps a match. 

There is still no sense for Wyatt to be going after Jericho aside from 'he is old and I am young and crazy'. Yuck. Wyatt is supposed to be crazy but have a semblance of brilliance behind the madness, he's a Manson (or Jake the Snake) character, the story needs more depth. Or have clips of him in his swamp lair holding the beaten bodies of Rey and RVD and Lance Storm tied up to underline it. "IT'S NO LONGER THE MID-NINETIES CHRIS, YOUR TIME IS OVER. MY CHILDREN, FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS."

This looks to be gearing up to be one of the best Smackdowns of the year because they give the World's Strongest Tag Team the Wyatts and all four just go for it. It's good sticking Mark and Paul together because they're super-heavies and getting up there, they don't have to do a whole lot but they are giving their all and look to be eating up the potential to work face and share the load. Wyatts are big enough to look credible and still eat their offense and all four are working hard. The finish is just tremendous, something you know nobody is getting up from, it's like someone hitting you in the temple with an aluminum bat then throwing you in a car crusher. 

Eva loses a hair extension mid-match. If you are even doing that shit and wrestling then get a weave. It may cost way way more but it won't come out unless your scalp is coming with it. At the same time it's a great Divas spot to lose an extension and have your opponent throw to the crowd, so I can't complain. 

Manhattan hipsters eat fusion food from stoned 20-somethings whos parents had the incredible amount of money for their downtown rental... oh wait, wrong show. 

Sorry Miz, despite the color tone, your attire doesn't match Ryuji Yamakawa's snakeskin pants and cowboy boots/hat... or missing teeth, willingness to die in fire, and queer overtones. But it does look cool before you fall for the new Golden Boy. And good job holding the match together. 

Reigns' selling bugs the shit out of me. He goes from 100 to 0 as soon as he starts selling, and by selling I mean laying around like a sloth. His body language is just the pits to me, and it seems he gets gassed in every match. I actually want his push to work, but he doesn't have the skill set to be booked like Cena 2.0.

MizTV with Reigns was just amazing - his is a career-saver for Miz right now. The match itself was fun, but not as good as Ambrose-Cesaro. Easy night of stuff to just zoom through since there was an hour and 18 minutes of actual content and even then, there were video packages.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/08/wwe-sd-8-15-14.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/gp2yoivqvdoeorpe1zqv1rwx9ru3dclt

I'm in a few of your screen caps. I'm wearing the Sandman shirt.

I think they decided the New Nation gimmick might be more negative publicity than it was worth. And I can't imagine anyone wanting to bring it back in the wake of Ferguson.

I bet most people on the writing team would not what that was.

It's more likely the writing team wouldn't know who the original Nation was. 

• Like 1

Does Ambrose have any competition for #1 in WWE this year? Every since the Shield went tweener/face he's been killing it every match and segment he's in.

Well, Bryan was easily #1 before he got hurt. His work through Mania tops most of Ambrose's work up to now (Shield/Wyatts 1 notwithstanding).

I'd say Rollins is ahead too, though that may be an unpopular opinion here. He was just as important (if not more) as Ambrose in all the Shield matches, and his singles work is staying strong even though he has to work with RVD while Ambrose gets to work with Cesaro. Not that I'd begrudge anyone for picking Ambrose over him, but Rollins is definitely competition.

Edit: Cesaro's still had a damn strong year too despite atrocious booking the last 4 months.

Bryan was the clear #1 the dude saved Mania single handedly. I think Rollins' best performance was in the Rumble he was the MVP of that match. Seth is still finding his groove as a heel he's doing good character work and decent promos, but Ambrose is pretty much firing on all cylinders in those aspects.

Regardless of opponents Dean has had better matches than Rollins since going solo, and it's not like he's been carried in any of those matches. I though Rollins let Ziggler drag him down in the matches they had which were just counter fest wank offs Ziggler usually has. Rollins did pull off the miracle of having a good match with RVD though. Seth is an easy top 5 guy in WWE this year, but as an all around act Dean has him beat.