DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Lobdell has been hit or miss but honestly his most recent iteration of Red Hood has been quietly pretty darn good. Given that Brett Booth has wanted to draw a Wally series since the New 52 launched I'm happy for him too. Could end up pretty good, honestly though it heavily depends which Scott Lobdell shows up.

I recall hearing the current Red Hood was good, but I wouldn't even know where to start checking anything out with that one.

Anyone know how is Bendis's Superman? The Leviathan stuff kind of interests me.

Only read the beginning of Bendis Guardians run, part of his Miles run, all of his X-men run, and most of Powers. I liked Powers and Miles. I liked parts of his X-men. Maybe I will check Action out.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Only read the beginning of Bendis Guardians run, part of his Miles run, all of his X-men run, and most of Powers. I liked Powers and Miles. I liked parts of his X-men. Maybe I will check Action out.

Read Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bends and Mark Bagley. BMB at his best.

Edited by The Natural

Okay I've read the first issues of both and the upcoming Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen series are both REALLY good and honestly exactly what you'd expect given Rucka and Fraction respectively. The Jimmy book is like if you crossed the Nick Spencer Jimmy book from 2011 with Fraction's Hawkeye. It's a blast.

Terrible silver age?
You mean the team that went through the Great Darkness Saga and the Legion of Supervillains led by Nemesis Kid? Hey I liked Waid's threeboot just fine but it had its problems (a lack of Wildfire being a prime example)

James

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

1. The first two years of the post-ZH LSH  Eye For An Eye - 1st year of 5YL Lrgionis the best LSH.

2. Is the woman who becomes immortal and is your POV character through all this Lois? I mean, the preview art means it could be and...?

see, things are so easy to fix ?

James

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

1. The first two years of the post-ZH LSH is the best LSH.

This is a true thing. The whole Emerald Violet storyline is a heartbreaker.

• Thanks 1

Dark Nights: Metal The Deluxe Edition collects Dark Nights: Metal #1-6 written by Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo as penciller and the book begins with Snyder on a comics event. It’s a good start to the book. Nth metal has mysterious properties and it comes from a Dark Multiverse.

The Dark Multiverse is ruled by Barbatos using the fears and hopes of the Multiverse above. Barbatos wants to darken all worlds. Bruce’s fears are warped Batmen called the Dark Knights, one is the Batman Who Laughs. A Bruce Wayne/Batman turned into the Joker, all of Batman’s skills without the limits. I really enjoyed the book for a number of reasons with that premise, using Barbatos and referencing Final Crisis (2008) as those come from the best Batman run ever, Grant Morrison’s (2006-2013). The reuniting of Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo team on Batman during the New 52, nods to stories from it in Court of Owls and Endgame. Our Batman who has fears, grown old and temporarily had enough. The book battles the light with the dark. 

Dark Nights: The Batman Who Laughs is a tie-in written by James Tynion IV to the Dark Nights: Metal event. Riley Rossmo as artist. This tells the origin of Earth-22 Bruce Wayne/Batman becoming the Batman Who Laughs turned by the Joker’s last act. It’s disturbing seeing Batman’s fall and his actions brought about by the change.

Batman: Knightfall Part One – Broken Bat collects Batman #491-497 and Detective Comics #659-663 written by Chuck Dixon and Doug Moench. There’s a new arrival on the scene called Bane who attacks Arkham Asylum freeing the inmates, Batman goes after them. This is Bane’s plan to tire Batman out physically and mentally breaking the Bat, that he does. Bane breaks Batman’s back. All made for a great story and an important moment in Batman’s eighty year history. My printing is from 2011 with Mike Deodarto’s cover illustration. It’s a shame the cover for each issue is missing unlike how nearly all hardback and trade paperbacks are. I’m also confused with the varying versions of Knightfall editions out there.

• Like 1

Vertigo is officially being ended in January, as are Ink and Zoom.

Going forward it'll just be DC Kids, DC, and DC Black Label, but they say the pop up imprints like Young Animal will continue.