DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

D6vWvHqVUAAoDc7?format=jpg&name=large

That was a nice story and slightly weird in retrospect. This Helena's only connection to the current family is Dick and Babs. No JPV, Luke Fox, or Batcow is kind of odd after the Detective Comics run..

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, cool arrow said:

Granted it's not great, but it's not exactly Erika Henderson either.

Henderson's style isn't something I generally enjoy myself, but her craft is clearly present throughout. Her anatomy and sense of motion and layout are strong, her style choices are consistent, and she delivers consistently stylized work over evidently strong fundamentals. She's clearly *good* even if it's not my thing and the way her art has gotten flack is something I can only attribute to sexism given how many comparably or more heavily stylized dudes get praise.  By way of example, I honestly can't see the appeal of Peter Bagge's art whatsoever, but enough well informed folks stand by it so clearly there's something there I'm missing. 

Anyway, Henderson's art is not for me, but I see the appeal of it and the skill applied in it. Using it as a shorthand for bad work is kinda telling on yourself as either having a poor eye or sexist undertones, take your pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

can you guys help me out with this. I just spent $150 on:

Grayson Omnibus

Crisis on Infinite earth Hardcover

Infinite Crisis Omnibus

Identity Crisis 10th anniversary

Did I get ripped off or is this an ok purchase?  I've never read any of the books. I am a huge Nightwing fan but outside of that I am not sure I made a wise decision.

Well, I think the Infinity Crisis omnibus alone has a $100 or $150 price tag. So you definitely got a good price. I'm not a huge fan of IC itself, but the omnibus is loaded with stories I love. Grayson is a really good book.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

can you guys help me out with this. I just spent $150 on:

Grayson Omnibus

Crisis on Infinite earth Hardcover

Infinite Crisis Omnibus

Identity Crisis 10th anniversary

Did I get ripped off or is this an ok purchase?  I've never read any of the books. I am a huge Nightwing fan but outside of that I am not sure I made a wise decision.

yeah, Grayson is awesome.

COIE is historically important and i've always enjoyed it. Infinite Crisis i really loved when it came out, but i'm a sucker for alternate reality stuff so YMMV. 

Identity Crisis is OKish for a self-contained story, but don't use your brain while reading or you may experience severe pain and anguish.

i can't speak to the dollar value of this stuff, but 3 of the 4 are pretty great reads, and even the fourth is a fun experience. i say you did pretty well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

And in 2011 we were going to get a book called "Speed Force" with Wally, Bart and Jessie stories until we weren't.  I will believe this plan when the comic ships.

And we were going to get Wally back up stories in Barry's book... Until we weren't. And Wally West was going to not only still be a Flash but an important character until he wasn't. And...

• Like 1

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/22/tom-king-taken-off-batman-last-issue-will-be-85/

Well, that's unexpected if true. As noted, I've liked some of Tom King's Batman run but it's my least favourite since I started reading the flagship Batman title properly with Grant Morrison's epic run followed by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo.

I've honestly enjoyed the very short time Peter J Tomasi's been on Detective Comics more than King's three year Batman term.

EDIT:

Edited by The Natural
Tom King's Tweet.

As I said earlier I've enjoyed the run even if its been a mixed bag. I'm disappointed they are cutting it short. I'm curious as to why. The sales are still good so I wonder if it was whatever big status quo King had planned. Perhaps WB/DC decided they didn't like it. Hopefully he can come up with a good ending. I'm curious on who will replace him.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I've honestly enjoyed the very short time Peter J Tomasi's been on Detective Comics more than King's three year Batman term.

As a fan of Tomasi, and someone who is also enjoying his current run I have to say this is a ridiculous statement. The current run isn't even a dozen issues in, and Tomasi's first arc was a six-issue story that easily could have been completed in 1-2.

I too wonder whether it's sales figures which I believe are down, the big change causing second thoughts with the higher ups and whether Heroes in Crisis bad WOM has hurt Tom King's reputation. King's Batman run has sizeable filler and stories stretched out longer than necessary. With hindsight, that might be a regret of King as his time on the Batman book is cut short.

Seems like a crazy idea to do it 15 issues earlier than planned or whatever. Better to have a complete intended run to release later in trades or what have you. He was so hyped about finishing the run in interviews in the last month or so with whatever that status quo change was and how crazy it was, to him, that it got approved up and down the line. You have to figure this is about that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sounds like the decision was sudden, having only been made last Friday. I hope the part about King being able to finish his story elsewhere is true.

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Have to figure Brian Michael Bends is in the running to be the next Batman writer. 

That would be a very good way to likely kill sales even worse along with my interest.

• Like 1