DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I had heard the plugs for The Winter Palace on Longbox Heroes and didĀ not realize it was on Itunes til yesterday. Ā Downloaded the new episode, because I am a huge Jeff Parker, Steve Rude, and Hanna Barbera Action cartoon fan. Ā Can't wait to fire it up today.

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'm not sold on Titans yet. There is still a very good chance this could end up as Devin Grayson-esque Titans as opposed to peak Wolfman Titans

James

I don't feel like peak Wolfman Titans is a fair target though. Also, Grayson's Titans had a lot going for it. For better or worse it kind of ended up occupying a similar narrative space as JSA with the legacy heroes mentoring the younger ones.Ā I'd argue it over the Winick series for sure and probably off peak Wolfman as well. Haven't read enough Haney for that comparison though.

I'd argue Green Arrow has been the biggest success of Rebirth so far, honestly. It's absolutely terrific with a great narrative voice and artistic vision. It takes the best elements of the New 52 version and brings in enough new/classic elements to shake things up. It also started fast with clear hooks in the Black Canary thing and the new villains followed by issue one's cliffhanger which really serves as the jumping point for the rest.Ā 

Ā 

Barring the Lemire/Sorrentino run which was great but also very weird and hard to judge as a GA story, it's probably the best the book has been since...early Winick?Ā 

Ā 

Lots of other stuff has been good but none of them hit the ground running the way GA did and I dig that a lot. The rest of the books I'm reading seem like they're still in setup mode. Not in a bad way, but yeah.

Ā 

Also Tom King is already doing the one frustrating Snyder thing of awkwardly inserting an explanation of the arc's themes into character dialogue. Love both but god that's annoying.

• Like 2

Less than two months and DC are already messing up their own new history.

Ā 

Flash #2 includes New Wally referring to "uncle Daniel" when DCU R and various press indicated that Daniel was retconned into his dad.

Ā 

It's a minorish mistake that still feels like a sign that editorial doesn't have their shit any straighter than they did post-Flashpoint.Ā 

God, Paul Dini's Dark Night: A True Batman Story is the most amazingĀ graphic novel I've read in the past three years, especially since Dini tricked me into reading his auto-biography and I am trying not to weep at work.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 10:34 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

Less than two months and DC are already messing up their own new history.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Flash #2 includes New Wally referring to "uncle Daniel" when DCU R and various press indicated that Daniel was retconned into his dad.

Ā 

Ā 

It's a minorish mistake that still feels like a sign that editorial doesn't have their shit any straighter than they did post-Flashpoint.Ā 

If you watch WWE think for a moment about the importance of continuity. Ā Then look at Marvel and DC. Ā Of the three who is the worst?

This isn't "has Mr Bones ever met Etta Candy?" This is a character not knowing his own father's name less than two months after it was referenced in a major book and by the company in the press. And from a company whose blunders of 2011 are exemplified by the fact that between Teen Titans #1 and its TPB reprint decided none of the other Titans had existed and edited reprints. It's a bad sign not because "continuity is important" but because it means the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Again.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

This isn't "has Mr Bones ever met Etta Candy?" This is a character not knowing his own father's name less than two months after it was referenced in a major book and by the company in the press. And from a company whose blunders of 2011 are exemplified by the fact that between Teen Titans #1 and its TPB reprint decided none of the other Titans had existed and edited reprints. It's a bad sign not because "continuity is important" but because it means the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Again.

I mean, is that really that much worse than some of the post-Crisis continuity issues? These kinds of things always happen when you're mucking with the timeline. At least they gave it a bit of an out by sort of outright saying the timeline is broken and still figuring out what's what (though that was more Multiversity than this)

Vertigo Comics is going to unveil a six issue mini series that will be the true spiritual sequel to the 80's vampire movie classic, The Lost Boys.

Tim Seeley (Grayson, Nightwing, Hack/Slash) has writing duties, the pencils / inkingĀ and art work will be handled by Scott Godlewski and Patricia Mulvihill (The Dark & Bloody), and Tony Harris will take care of the cover art.