DVDVR Message Board

Alberto Del Rio

Big E Lashley

I'm still sort of a CMLL novice, but from my perspective, this is kind of a godsend for CMLL if they can sign him. They're not exactly known for longterm planning, but I think there has to be some danger of burning the crowd out on Rush unless he's given a strong opponent. To me, the end goal that makes the most sense is building up some younger guy over the next year or two to be the one to finally give him his comeuppance, but in the meantime, they can't keep running La Pesta Negra + Shocker vs Rush/Sombra/Mascara into the ground. 

I figure they either have to switch him over and make him full out Rudo but sort of an independent group unaffiliated with the other rudos like Perros Del Mal were in 06 or Los Invasores(?) in 2010(?). Then you could put him against anyone and everyone, but they still seem to be using him occasionally with random tecnicos. I think he teamed up with Porky last month. If hey do that sort of Rush vs the world scenario, then you could build to a match against his then-former partners in Maximo and Marco and from a narrative level at least that seems sort of interesting. Maybe even something short against Porky but no matter how over/beloved Porky is, that still feels a little like slumming?

If they bring Del Rio in though, they can sort of keep the status quo going for another 6-9 months running various combinations while they build up one of the idolo guys or something. I imagine the crowds will eat up his act. He was fairly over even when he was cruddy back in 06.

But I really have no idea what I'm talking about. That's all just what feels right to me.

EDIT: For people in the know, what's the deal with Ultimo Guerrero vs Atlantis? Does Atlantis definitely lose the mask? UG has more shelf life at this point since he's nine year's younger. Could he, whether he loses the mask or not, leverage some sort respect thing into a quasi turn so that he can be the next person to be pitted against Rush? I feel like that could take up some amount of time too.

Last year I was torn on who would lose between Atlantis/UG. This year it *seems* pretty straight forward - Atlantis loses. With those prices he'll NEVER get a chance to get that kind of a payday. It'll probably be the biggest payoff for a mask in history and you would think that would go to a lifetime CMLL employee like Atlantis. Plus, if Atlantis beats UG - who does he feud with next? Niebla? That'll never be a real significant feud. Sombra? Perhaps but I don't see it.

The Del Rio in CMLL thing makes perfect sense from a fantasy booking standpoint but it doesn't quite work when you factor in how CMLL operates. Del Rio wouldn't be full time & CMLL doesn't do the part-time thing with wrestlers except for very rare circumstances. CMLL also has their bubble and most likely would want him to come back as Dos Caras Jr. just working in trios matches which doesn't seem like something he'd want. It would also take breaking the CMLL pay structure which has always been a big no-no.

I hope CMLL does it for all the reasons Matt pointed out but I see Del Rio just going the route of doing random shots for moneymarks on WWL & Arena Coliseo Monterrey type shows. Maybe even AAA since AAA loves nothing more than to bring in new toys to play with and promptly forget about their old ones they just debuted.

That's never been confirmed. A few months back a story leaked that Panico (Juan Manuel Mar) was removed from his long-time co-booker position and re-assigned but there has never been anything to back that up. Panther definitely works in the office now (which is why he does much less outside DF non-CMLL bookings) but how much input he has as relates to the actual booking is unknown.

Sorry but it's right up CMLL's line of thinking to bring him back masked and debut him in a semi-main event trios match. This is a company that still refuses to let anyone on the roster talk unless it's during a pre-taped studio show & has security at shows to yell at fans to sit down when they stand up in excitement.

Del Rio's future if its not in WWE is pretty questionable right now especially if he has to wait 90 days. Its been 3-4 years since the AAA USA stuff started up and nothing has come of it beyond El Rey saying it might start in October. Yet, there hasn't been any TV taping scheduled. They may have already changed the start date. TNA might not be around by then either. Jarrett's GFW....hold on....let me stop laughing because I forgot why I brought that up...in 90 days maybe Jarrett conned someone into becoming the actual money mark behind his idea.

I don't think CMLL has even thought about bringing him in. I can see him going back, but it would probably be ADR asking to meet with Paco Alonso and him trying to work something agreeable out (money and scheduling-wise) and not CMLL seeking to bring him back. CMLL could use a top tecnico though and this story of why he was fired in Mexico would make him a tecnico and someone the fans would cheer since he stood up against racism in the US.

I'm assuming the 90-day wait is some kind of WWE non-compete clause.

But if that's the case, does that still apply if WWE fires you? I can understand if a wrestler quits why WWE doesn't want them immediately showing up in another promotion. But it doesn't seem right that WWE can force you out of work and then not allow you to earn a living for 3 months.

Also, does WWE even consider CMLL or AAA competition?

• 2 weeks later...