DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

On 6/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, The Natural said:

To celebrate this news, Larry Nasser, the doctor who abused her and countless other gymnasts, was stabbed multiple times during an attack in prison.  He's currently in the hospital.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/37989188/report-larry-nassar-stabbed-multiple-s-federal-prison

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To celebrate this news, Larry Nasser, the doctor who abused her and countless other gymnasts, was stabbed multiple times during an attack in prison.  He's currently in the hospital.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/37989188/report-larry-nassar-stabbed-multiple-s-federal-prison

Shucks. Darn.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

8 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Shucks. Darn.

Great news!

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Just hold on Bri... I'm about to make it a lot harder:

*Norm voice*

"And in other news: Disgraced ex-doctor Larry Nassar who is currently in prison for sexual assault again countless gymnasts was attacked and stabbed repeatedly by a fellow inmate . Judges gave the attack high marks for it's technical proficiency and artistry but had to deduct points because Nassar didn't bleed out and die."

• Like 3

Chess players are not human.

Here's proof.

(the original version of this had Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen identify famous chess match endings just from an endgame position. THIS version? Replaced all the pieces with sponsored air control devices, so he knew WHERE all the pieces were, but not WHAT they were. And yes, he nailed just about all of them).

• 1 month later...

I got really into last year’s NCAA Women’s Volleyball tournament. Trying it out again now that the regular season has started and this is such a great sport. Who knew it was so popular in the Midwest? Watching Creighton/Purdue and the Boilermakers gym is packed. 

I am still new to the sport so I don’t know the strategies. But man the passing is incredible. Backwards set passes across the court to someone looking to spike the ball are exquisite. 

20 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I got really into last year’s NCAA Women’s Volleyball tournament. Trying it out again now that the regular season has started and this is such a great sport. Who knew it was so popular in the Midwest? Watching Creighton/Purdue and the Boilermakers gym is packed. 

I am still new to the sport so I don’t know the strategies. But man the passing is incredible. Backwards set passes across the court to someone looking to spike the ball are exquisite. 

Volleyball is THE fall sport for girls in elementary, jr. high, and high school in Indiana, and at least at the school I went to it was the most important girls sport, period.  My high school, which at the time had about 300 students from 9th through 12th grade, went 47-0 and won the state title in 1984 when it was still single class(all schools in the state in one tournament).  Overall, they won over 25 sectional titles, a number of regional titles, a few semi-states, and a couple of Single A state titles once they split things up by school size like the other sports.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is actually Volleyball Day in Nebraska! They are playing at the football stadium and expecting over 90K to see The Cornhuskers against Omaha. The university cancelled classes for the day. 

Must watch random sporting event.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:44 AM, Greggulator said:

Tomorrow is actually Volleyball Day in Nebraska! They are playing at the football stadium and expecting over 90K to see The Cornhuskers against Omaha. The university cancelled classes for the day. 

Must watch random sporting event.

Holy hell, you weren't kidding:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Holy hell, you weren't kidding:

What a visual. Supposedly Nebraska Volleyball is one of the very few women's programs that actually turns a profit, and it's not hard to see why. They also obliterated the volleyball attendance mark, as one might imagine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

#1 Wisconsin vs. #2 Nebraska in volleyball this weekend. The game is at Lincoln and the cheapest ticket is $300 or so on Stubhub. They are both juggetnauts. If you have not watched NCAA Volleyball and are curious — this is THE match of the year and it is going to rule.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NCAA Volleyball Final Four starts tonight. Final Four is excellent — Nebraska vs. Pitt and then Wisconsin vs. Texas. Nebraska, Wisconsin and Pitt have been the three best teams all season. Texas started the year at number one, fell off a bit to start the season, but have been lights out the past few weeks. Women’s volleyball really is fantastic and having a great breakout year. 

• 3 months later...