DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

WFTDA nationals are set for Saint Paul on November 6-8... now with ESPN3 goodness. Regional top seeds Gotham, Victoria, London and Rose City all held serve.

Ye Olde Brackete

This is going to be a very interesting "Championships" the top 4 are all very strong but have some cracks in their armor and I think Texas is going to upset VRDL in the second round. Also if the top half of the bracket holds that London vs. Rose semi-final is going to be one for the ages.

And in other WFTDA news they released letters to the IOC and FIRS pretty much telling them you're not taking over our sport.

https://wftda.com/news/wftda-publishes-open-letters-to-firs-and-the-ioc-on-the-governance-of-roller-derby

• 4 weeks later...

Gotham is still a juggernaut but they've lost a few players to retirement so their streak may end in St. Paul. I think Rose will win it all this year.

Called it! Rose takes out Gotham 206-195 in an absolute thriller to claim their first Hydra. Victoria beats London for third place.

• Like 1

That was an amazing bout and a great way to showcase WFTDA on ESPN3.

The vibe in the arena was amazing! I don't know if you could hear it on the feed but they played The Who's "Baba O'Riley" during the time out and final jam and that along with the crowd gave it such an epic "something special" feel that will be hard to match.

• 1 month later...

What a match. There's only word for it: MAGIC DARTS!

It was a darts Sophie's Choice there for a while over who I wanted to win but then I thought, ah screw it, Barney's the underdog and I dig the shit out of him being the age old story of the old veteran who took down the guy who everybody thought was unbeatable. Dude's been my guy since he was rocking the BDO in the late 90s. I mean, MVG will probably win a gazillion more world titles in the future but I'd love for Barney to win it again this year. Can't see it though, I'm thinking maybe finally Wade or else one of Anderson/Wright/Lewis.

Fuck a Phil Taylor though.

• Like 1

It's probably just us watching it, but Wright/Chisnall was pretty bonkers as well. 

Then Sky played a video package for Taylor which had a line from the much missed Sid Waddell (HE WOULDN'T GIVE A BLOB OF HIS SWEAT TO A MAN DYING OF THIRST) and it made me sad. Best sports commentator of all time.

BARNEY!

Last couple of matches Jelle Klaasen had against Taylor and Norris, it was like wrestling or something. Literally, Taylor and Norris came this close and could sniff victory then Klaasen makes his comeback out of nowhere and is like BIG MOVE-BIG MOVE-BIG MOVE-FINISHER-FUCK YOU-DONE!

Dude is pretty great.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering the sport, I wouldn't at all be surprised if his brain showed signs of CTE. Can you imagine all the concussions all the X-Games guys have gotten since they were 6 or 7? Especially, since they can turn pro in their early teens if they are good enough.

Considering the sport, I wouldn't at all be surprised if his brain showed signs of CTE. Can you imagine all the concussions all the X-Games guys have gotten since they were 6 or 7? Especially, since they can turn pro in their early teens if they are good enough.

I've been wondering when someone is going to point to ESPNs holyier then thou coverage of the NFL and ask what ESPN is doing for Xgame athletes who will likely face the same issues in the years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

My alma mater, Hampton University, made history on Saturday by being the first HBCU to put a D1 Lacrosse team on the field.

I was there!  It was cold and fucking awesome!

The team lost, but they played well and I am expecting good things from the program,

HU Lacrosse hoodies were sold out but I still plan to get one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks like Arena Football is on its deathbed... with Spokane, Jacksonville and Orlando all leaving and LA KISS shutting down, they're down to four extant franchises (Cleveland, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and expansion Washington DC) plus Portland, which is trying to find new owners.