DVDVR Message Board

Interesting sports you follow but not enough interest for their own thread

evilwaldo

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The final of the PDC World Darts Championship. Price wins 7-3 becoming the tenth man to lift the Six Waddell trophy and in doing so ends Michael van Gerwin's seven years as world number one.

Good. Michael is one hell of a darts player, but what a nasty little prick. I'll admit that I'm partial to "Snakebite" Peter Wright! I hope Raymond van Barneveld's comeback goes well, darts is a better sport with Barney in the mix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Good. Michael is one hell of a darts player, but what a nasty little prick. I'll admit that I'm partial to "Snakebite" Peter Wright! I hope Raymond van Barneveld's comeback goes well, darts is a better sport with Barney in the mix.

Hey, nice to see a fellow fan of the arrows!

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Hey, nice to see a fellow fan of the arrows!

Fan? Hell, I was a top-fifty in the US player in my prime. Also, wearing a lab coat with "Dr. Dart" in huge silver letters on the back and screaming "Turn out the lights!" when hitting the out made me one of the most hated heels in the sport. Yes, I watched professional wrestling and learned well. I think that the highest  I was ranked was 38 or 37, right about then was when they changed to accomodate the real pros, you got moved up on the rankings just for showing up at a major tournament which I think is just so much bullshit. It favors the people who do nothing but play tournaments and shits all over the players like me who are the backbone of the sport. No, I'm not going to win a tournament where Paul Lim, Peter Wright, Van Gerwen, Wade, Lewis, etc. are playing, as a matter of fact I will avoid a big tournament like that (maybe play in the blind draw doubles just for fun), back in the day my policy was if we could drive to it in one day I'll go for it if one of my buddies is going, and I'll pay for the gas. (I don't drive so I depend on friends for transportation and have no problem picking up the tab for petrol.) What I won't do is pay for a plane ticket to attend a tournament where I can see that there are ten or more players who are easily better than I am participating, that just doesn't make financial sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Fan? Hell, I was a top-fifty in the US player in my prime. Also, wearing a lab coat with "Dr. Dart" in huge silver letters on the back and screaming "Turn out the lights!" when hitting the out made me one of the most hated heels in the sport. Yes, I watched professional wrestling and learned well. I think that the highest  I was ranked was 38 or 37, right about then was when they changed to accomodate the real pros, you got moved up on the rankings just for showing up at a major tournament which I think is just so much bullshit. It favors the people who do nothing but play tournaments and shits all over the players like me who are the backbone of the sport. No, I'm not going to win a tournament where Paul Lim, Peter Wright, Van Gerwen, Wade, Lewis, etc. are playing, as a matter of fact I will avoid a big tournament like that (maybe play in the blind draw doubles just for fun), back in the day my policy was if we could drive to it in one day I'll go for it if one of my buddies is going, and I'll pay for the gas. (I don't drive so I depend on friends for transportation and have no problem picking up the tab for petrol.) What I won't do is pay for a plane ticket to attend a tournament where I can see that there are ten or more players who are easily better than I am participating, that just doesn't make financial sense. 

Good going, @OSJ. I see where you learnt gimmicks and theatricality in wrestling translating it to darts. Been a fan since 9 or 10 years old. I like Taylor, RVB, Priestley, Bristow, Wright, George, Lewis and Part off the top of my head. Priestley would have won more than two world titles, he was unfortunate that Taylor was in his era. Poor bastard.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Good going, @OSJ. I see where you learnt gimmicks and theatricality in wrestling translating it to darts. Been a fan since 9 or 10 years old. I like Taylor, RVB, Priestley, Bristow, Wright, George, Lewis and Part off the top of my head. Priestley would have won more than two world titles, he was unfortunate that Taylor was in his era. Poor bastard.

Dennis actually came along a bit too late, ten years earlier and he'd have been thumping guys like John Lowe, Eric Bristow and Barry Twomlow. As it was it was like the American baseball situation of Jimmie Foxx and Babe Ruth (with Ruth taking the Phil Taylor role), just because Foxx would always come in second to Babe Ruth didn't mean that Jimmie wasn't a hell of a ballplayer, his #2 to Ruth in lifetime home runs stood the test of time for nearly forty years, that ain't nothing. Dennis Priestly is one of the finest players that I've ever seen, unfortunately the money for the #2 guy was shit (comparatively speaking), and he just wasn't going to beat The Power on a regular basis. Poor Dennis, just horrible timing. 

I used to love playing the Desert Classic in Vegas every year until your countrymen* fucked the thing up by insisting that anyone that was a ranked county player or above would be seeded, which usually meant a first round bye. Totally eliminated the luck aspects of the draw, just as changing the game from 301 dbl in dbl out to 501 open on dbl out screwed things up. Here's the deal, in 301 I still have a chance against a top ten in the world player, if they miss the double in and I don't, I have a chance to shoot a free round at the out before they have a shot at it. It's just possible that I could win. In 501 the superior player will always win, it's just too long a game for the weaker player to sustain the advantage. The whole seeding business just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I found it to be total cowardice on the part of the international players to make the argument that people come to see them play. No, people come to play darts, the number of pure spectators not related to or friends with someone playing can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. The seeding business means that no matter what, I'm guaranteed to have to face a top 100 in the world level player in my flight. Under the previous (fair version), draw meant just that... Luck of the draw, it only happened for once, but I drew a hilariously weak flight wherein I was clearly the superior player out of the dozen in our flight. I coasted to an easy win and just like that I'm in the money, (got knocked out immediately, but $150 is still $150, had I won that first match after qualifying I could have done no worse than $300). With this seeding business, it practically guarantees that I have no reason to play as I'm certain to be facing a superior player no matter what. 

*Wasn't just the Brits, it was pretty all non-North American players having a tantrum because of the way the draw worked the preceding year, some of these internationally ranked chaps had to face each other with the result being that several guys who thought they were going to coast into the money rounds instead got to sit down or spend their time fetching drinks for the chaps that beat them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In today's example of the Internet being wonderful, I found the T-Birds bout from MSG my dad took me and my sister to in 1983. Ralphie Valladares! Big John Hall! Skinny Minnie! Mizz Georgia Hase! 

Spoiler

xnPNJq.gif

Spoilers for Ralphie committing murder on a hapless Detroit Devil. It is jaw-droppingly horrific.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Medina Spirit, who won the Kentucky Derby, failed a steroid test over the weekend.  

His trainer Bob Ballart (unironically) said his horse was a victim of 'cancel culture' yesterday morning.  

Today, he quietly admitted that the whole thing is true, and the horse did get a steroid injection and Medina Spirit will not run in the Preakness this weekend.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Medina Spirit, who won the Kentucky Derby, failed a steroid test over the weekend.  

His trainer Bob Ballart (unironically) said his horse was a victim of 'cancel culture' yesterday morning.  

Today, he quietly admitted that the whole thing is true, and the horse did get a steroid injection and Medina Spirit will not run in the Preakness this weekend.

tenor.gif

What the "Medina Spirit ate hay tainted with some grooms cough medicine laced pee on it" excuse didn't fly? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

tenor.gif

I read his explanation but all I heard was this:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prepare your shocked faces.   Medina Spirit's positive drug test has been confirmed.  

The horse and his trainer may now be disqualified.    

*Price is Right Losing Horn* 

• 2 weeks later...