DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: JEFF JARRETT

RIPPA

First - this is for Jarrett the wrestler. Save the nonsense about the fed and the database and whatnot for elsewhere

Second - I am gonna just leave this here

- Jeff Jarrett rules the fucking earth. His match on Nitro this week was beautiful. I don't know who is the best in WCW now at getting opponents over- Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho or Jeff Jarrett. The Argument for Jericho would be his recent match against Mike Enos, the houseshow reports of him pulling very good matches out of Disco Inferno, and the >hell!< miracle match against Steve Armstrong Saturday on WCWSN, which I was amazed at seeing. I actually forgot for a minute that Armstrong was jobbed into oblivion prior to this match and was just being carried by Jericho with such absolute perfection. Jarrett might have it over Eddie because Eddie couldn't drag a decent match out of Bubba like Jarrett did Monday and Jericho may have it over Eddie because Chris pulled a good match out of Enos, unlike Eddie. Of course, the true proof is when they are in with real, honest to God workers. I'm guessing sooner or later we're gonna get the ass-stomping Benoit/Jarrett feud and then we'll see double J's true workrate colors. Benoit/Jericho was great, the elevenish Guerrero/Benoit matches RULED, and I'm guessing that the heat in a Benoit/Jarrett match may be enough to take to that same level- though Jarrett isn't quite in the other two's league, physical talent-wise- though he does have a flawless grasp of old-school American selling and psychology, and GOD! can anybody work a match better in the US?

Dean - DVDVR #10

There's this one particular Jeff Jarrett match that I remembered loving quite a bit, a USWA Texas Death Match against Eddie Gilbert held (iirc) in Kentucky.  It was like a beautiful highlight reel of all the standard old Memphis finishes, used as false finishes for once.  Illegal piledriver, powder in the eyes, chain on the fist, fireball, they did everything.  And it had the bizarre addendum of Jim Cornette being in babyface Jarrett's corner, for some kayfabed reason I cannot remember.  I couldn't find a video of it with cursory searching, but that's the Jeff Jarrett that I enjoyed most.  You can keep your hidden Thunder gems with various B-listers and "well this one time in TNA, Jeff Jarrett and [iNSERT NAME HERE] had one hell of a good ol' fashioned slobberknocker"... although those other things do kinda build up his legacy.  He really is Nise Triple H, which is more of a compliment than it sounds.  

Jeff Jarrett was better off when he was about business and not letting back room politics distract him, but we will not discuss that here.

As much as I love Evil Country Singer JJ, Grizzled Surly Veteran Fuck You King of the Mountain JJ was also pretty awesome.

Was any of Jarrett's AAA stuff any good?  That's after I had to stop watching.

Don't remember how his matches were, but he got back to TNA crowing about how over he was as a heel. It's because he was tossing tortillas into the crowd and calling them beaners.

I really enjoyed Jarrett up until the end of his first WWF run. From that point forward I always felt he was miscast - from being a possible member of the Horsemen, to being all shooty and rage filled upon his WWF return, to his various runs at being a main eventer. I always thought Jarrett was the perfect IC title level guy. Good charisma, but not "build the fed around him" charisma. Good heel to run with the secondary belt and challenge (and fail) for the big belt every so often. Limited as a babyface long term, but capable of working the style when needed. His series of matches where they flipped flopped the IC title with Bob Holly are way underrated. 

• Like 1

A man who can rock the white pants after Labor Day is fully deserving of our respect. In the Bizarro World where WCW won the Monday night wars, JJ is still (after twenty years) YOUR US Champion, and good on him for that.

Was any of Jarrett's AAA stuff any good?  That's after I had to stop watching.

Don't remember how his matches were, but he got back to TNA crowing about how over he was as a heel. It's because he was tossing tortillas into the crowd and calling them beaners.

Karen the Witch

I seem to remember these guys wrestling eachother in some combination an awful lot on Nitro in this era, and a lot of those matches being pretty decent.  But then again if you're in the ring with Benoit or Guerrero and can't have a good match, you pretty much have no place in wrestling.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6a9x3_nitro-97-benoit-mongo-vs-jarrett-ed_shortfilms

During my first semester of college my roommate was some obnoxious preppy asshat, but he actually watched wrestling.  I got into the habit of calling him "slapnuts" when he'd get on my nerves.

How this wasn't the first video posted, I don't know

Those kids aren't acting, btw. They really do suck THAT bad at fighting. That's the David Deaton "Martial Arts Studio", the exact same one that I spent two boring-ass years "training" in as a child. Hendersonville, TN might be both my and JJ's hometown (we were born in the same hospital, went to one of the same schools, lived less than two miles from each other, at one point my family lived in a Jarrett-owned subdivision) but it ain't exactly the MMA capital of the world. Our training regimen consisted of NOTHING BUT KATA, kata all the live-long day. It was one of those dojos that offered a massive rainbow of different colored belts that everyone graduated through at lightening speed, and focused way harder on the "discipline" and "respect" parts (along with a LOT of pidgen-Japanese gobbledygook) rather than teaching anyone how to actually win a fight. Our rankings at the few tournaments we attended were pitifully low, I got squashed in my one-and-only competitive match. So this video is a completely accurate documentary of David Deaton students.
  • Like 1

My favorite Jeff Jarrett is American Businessman, Leader of RDX Jeff Jarrett from Ring Ka King. The ongoing deal with Jeff abusing his lawyer and his lawyer coming out with more and more injuries every week was the best.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...