DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

m80do3.jpg

Oh man, "The Wrestling Ring." I remember their ads and their mail order catalog, and I definitely got DiBiase and HTM from them as a youngster. Good times.

Don't blame your mom. From what I remember (and this was, what, maybe 87 or 88?), this line of figures was dying out by then and the only place to find the new ones was through specialty outlets like this.

Yeah when I got older I realized that not every toy ever made was available at KB Toys, its actually pretty amazing she found Tito and Bruno when she did, seeing as they were way out of date at the time.

I always hated the figures with the "press slam" feature, (Luger, Bulldog, Warlord, Borga, Warrior #3, Demolition Ax) You couldn't even clothesline anyone! The next worst was the more rare "snap mare" feature (seen above w 123 Kid, Rick Rude and Ric Flair) What exactly are these guys supposed to be able to do?

Always thought Flair's Hasbro had to be a rib on him. They never made any of their other figures that damn skinny & weird looking

flairpic.jpg

Fully agree on the "legs stuck together" models being the worst from that line. 

Best was always the guys with the "rocket punch arm" or the "whiplash arm"

"Clothesline arm" dudes were sorta cool too but they broke too easily. 

I always hated the figures with the "press slam" feature, (Luger, Bulldog, Warlord, Borga, Warrior #3, Demolition Ax) You couldn't even clothesline anyone! The next worst was the more rare "snap mare" feature (seen above w 123 Kid, Rick Rude and Ric Flair) What exactly are these guys supposed to be able to do?

Always thought Flair's Hasbro had to be a rib on him. They never made any of their other figures that damn skinny & weird looking

flairpic.jpg

JIMINY JILLIKERS!!! JIMINY JILLIKERS!!!! JIMINY JILLIKERS!!!!

• Like 9

Same year the Galoob figures came out, JusToys produced a line of WCW Bend-Ems figures as well.  The Doom Bend-Ems are wearing the same outfits as the Galoob figures.

I'm thinking on photo shoot day Doom thought they were only getting shot from the waist up so they only taped their wrists instead of bothering to put on all their gear.

Like Galoob's first series Horsemen figures match this photo (minus Ole) and none of the Windham figures had kneepads either...

01_IV_Horseman_0.jpg

Barry_Windham_(WCW_Galoob).jpg

This makes perfect sense. Look at the detail of the figure compared to the photo, Barry's knee pads are pulled down over the boots.

m80do3.jpg

I remember being home from school sick as a yute, and my mom bought me a couple wrestling magazines to keep me occupied. In the back of one of them was this ad, which I flipped about. I then demanded my mother go to KB Toys and get me Bam Bam Bigelow, One Man Gang, the Hart Foundation, Killer Bees and Demolition Ax. She returned later that night with Tito Santana and Bruno Sammartino. A river of tears followed. I was an ungrateful little shit.

Awww man, I had a bunch of those figures. There were two things I remember most about them.

First, they were heavy as shit. My brother pulled a Montreal Screwjob in one of our matches which I told him I didn't appreciate so he whipped Brutus Beefcake at me and the sucker left a bruise like I got hit with a baseball bat.

Secondly, the paint was defective on them. Maybe they corrected this with later production models but I got them when they first came out - the belts were all replicas of the Green Circle Belt Iron Sheik wore when he jobbed the belt to Hogan - and literally after a week of casual play the paint would rub off them. I think I did like 3 leg drops with Hogan after which his knee pad and most of his tights were all gone. I remember having my mom go to the model shop to buy some Testors model paint to try and fix them but I guess the paint was wrong for the vulcanized rubber because the paint never absorbed - it'd dry but just sit on the surface sticky as hell.

Now that I look back, I'm kind of torn on the line. At the time the paint issues and total lack of articulation kind of pissed me off - but today as an adult who still likes to check out what's going on in the toy aisle once in awhile, the scale, sculpts, and paint jobs were actually pretty damn fantastic, never mind by mid-80s standards. I also really dug some of the little accessories they came with, like Piper's skirt kilt or JYD's chain.

• Like 1

Seconded for Tom Zenk subbing as Tito Santana and/or Tully Blanchard (I'd use red electric tape on the back of his trunks to match up with Arn Anderson's outfit)

I think that Barry Windham figure is (stupidly) one of the reasons he became on of my faves growing up - you could hit all the best highspots with that mold.

That Hasbro ad has reminded me that the Macho Man 92 figure was the shittest of the lot - why would you put those tassles on it?! The 88 Macho was great on the other hand

First, they were heavy as shit. My brother pulled a Montreal Screwjob in one of our matches which I told him I didn't appreciate so he whipped Brutus Beefcake at me and the sucker left a bruise like I got hit with a baseball.

You could kill a man with the King Kong Bundy figure.

• Like 5