DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Having Goldberg lose the title to a heel through nefarious means so he can eventually get revenge was the right call. Having him lose it to Nash who gives it to Hogan and then just getting tased on weekly TV all the time might have been a misstep.

• Like 2

I think DDP should have been the one to end it. If you watch Havoc, the fans would have bought a flash Diamond Cutter as a legit way to beat Goldberg, AND DDP was much more fresh than anyone else they could have chosen at that point (though I kinda like the "build Bret Hart to win it" idea, too). 

• Like 1

At the time, I would have thought giving the win to Page was crazy, but since the streak didn't even make it to the end of the year anyway...

You can't protect a guy in a loss anymore than they did Goldberg, it's the booking after the fact that sunk it.

I always say the fingerpoke wouldn't have been that bad if Goldberg destroys Bigelow, Hall and Nash before getting Hogan in early Summer and reclaiming the belt. Then he keeps it until Starrcade when Scott Steiner wins it starting a huge heel run.

• Like 2

I always say the fingerpoke wouldn't have been that bad if Goldberg destroys Bigelow, Hall and Nash before getting Hogan in early Summer and reclaiming the belt. Then he keeps it until Starrcade when Scott Steiner wins it starting a huge heel run.

Agreed. I think they should have taken a cue from the Sting chase in '97 or Austin's chase on WWF TV and had Goldberg "start from the bottom" before finally getting his shot. I think they later ran some kind of streak-redux where that was the general idea, but it was way after WCW mattered anymore.

I think Nash beating Goldberg was the right call. 

Nash was getting huge reactions at that time, and though he was booking, I can't imagine the fingerpoke was his call. I often wonder how much of Nash's popularity was the perception that he was a WWF guy

Yeah, when did the Giant give notice that he was going to WWF? Seems like having Goldberg run through him right at the end of Giant's time there would have been a good idea. 

Having Goldberg defend the WCW Heavyweight Championship in the midcard against jobbers and midcarders is the most blatant act of booker sabotage that I can think of. They could have made so much money off Goldberg. Terrible.

Having Goldberg defend the WCW Heavyweight Championship in the midcard against jobbers and midcarders is the most blatant act of booker sabotage that I can think of. They could have made so much money off Goldberg. Terrible.

Absolutely. A Goldberg / Hogan rematch for one... 

Absolutely. A Goldberg / Hogan rematch for one... 

Have they ever had thier rematch. Not talking tags or three ways or four plays (*insert sex your own sex joke) but a second one-on-one match between the two?