DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I understood that it was dropped because Foley's health problems were more extensive than he realized. Hmm.

Still, I'm referring to the period between when that was dropped and Survivor Series 2012. Ambrose fell off the face of the earth for what felt like forever, occasionally emerging from the ether just long enough to go over Alex Riley in a dark match. 

• Like 1

I wish there'd have been more of an explanation for Ambrose's lost (almost)year between FCW and the main roster. But we got to learn that Ambrose was raised by wolves before ending up in that Mexican prison. So that's something.

Wasn't there going to be a set up for him and Foley to fued with the reason being guys like Foley made it necessary for guys like Ambrose to be death matchy to get attention? Or something?

I remember seeing a clip somewhere of Ambrose confronting Foley in a hotel lobby (Wrestlemania weekend a few years back). Foley said it got dropped because he said for Ambrose to not mention his kids and he did, but later Foley made it seem like everything was a work and it just got dropped by creative.

it also got dropped because no licensed neurologist would clear Foley to wrestle

• Like 1

Confirmed in an audio interview on figure four online. He said he couldn't pass the impact testing. Dude can't even ride roller coasters anymore, and he loves them so much. Sad.

This is why he was supposed to retire in 2000.

I wish there'd have been more of an explanation for Ambrose's lost (almost)year between FCW and the main roster. But we got to learn that Ambrose was raised by wolves before ending up in that Mexican prison. So that's something.

Wasn't there going to be a set up for him and Foley to fued with the reason being guys like Foley made it necessary for guys like Ambrose to be death matchy to get attention? Or something?

I remember seeing a clip somewhere of Ambrose confronting Foley in a hotel lobby (Wrestlemania weekend a few years back). Foley said it got dropped because he said for Ambrose to not mention his kids and he did, but later Foley made it seem like everything was a work and it just got dropped by creative.

The story I read was Ambrose was in Europe and was having issues receiving text messages from the States, so he was late in getting the message from Foley to not talk about his kids.

I'm so bummed about his health problems, man. It was really scary to hear him talk about throwing up after matches in TNA. I wish he could do it forever, but he really should have hung it up after that fantastic Orton match back in 2004. The ECW and Edge stuff in 2006 was great, too, but I can't imagine it helped his situation any.

Yet another reason I wish Sting had come to WWE earlier: a Cactus Jack re-match where both guys were still just a little bit closer to their primes. The TNA cage match was fun as hell from a certain perspective, but it would have been that much sweeter if they had been able to TRULY tear the house down.

In my opinion, Foley should've never wrestled another match after No Way Out 2000. That was a great final match and other than putting over Orton, there was no net positive to him coming back afterwards.

Agreed.  I'll never understand why he came back at Mania just to lose again,

Watching a lot of Foley's matches/segments the last few years is difficult. Especially now that we know how hazardous concussions are, I cringe watching any Attitude era chair shots.

In hindsight, i am happy i wrote a critical article (i think for Wrestlemanaics) about the Rumble 99 i-quit match when it happened. i still think that's one of the worst examples ever of not protecting your opponent.

• Like 1

Watching a lot of Foley's matches/segments the last few years is difficult. Especially now that we know how hazardous concussions are, I cringe watching any Attitude era chair shots.

In hindsight, i am happy i wrote a critical article (i think for Wrestlemanaics) about the Rumble 99 i-quit match when it happened. i still think that's one of the worst examples ever of not protecting your opponent.

Is there a link?  I'd like to read it.

Rumble 99 is without a doubt one of the most cringing examples of wrestler stupidity in hindsight. Its shocking that at the time it was regarded as intense and brutal etc and not dangerous and retarded. Everybody got carried away. Its not as if people didn't know smashing a skull with hard objects was a dangerous idea.

Foley came back in 00 because they offered him a Wrestlemania Main Event as the one last thing in his career he hadn't done. 

The frustrating thing about him is that he's very good at storytelling and match layout. He's wildly underrated in these things, actually, and once he hit WWF, he really didn't need the bullshit to get over because it's a company that thrives on easily encapsulated storytelling. 

In his second book, he spends a ton of ink on how he didn't want the Mania match, and only did it out of fear that Vince might consider him in breech of his contract and withhold money Mick had coming from the previous several ppvs (including the two main events with Triple H.)

He admits that fear was probably unfounded and Vince most likely wouldn't have done so, but at the time, having just retired, he was very concerned about making sure his family would still be set financially.