DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The story I heard on the United Center was that the rent was just too darn high.  WCW of course was like that one family that stays poor, and gets their tax return.  Instead of spending it on something useful, they go buy the most expensive, bullshit item they can find.  That was WCW with everything.

At a guess, it's stuff that's been said.

1) WWE has a relationship with Allstate Arena going back to when it was the Rosemont Horizon in the 80s.

2) It's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to rent.

3) Ease of access from O'Hare.

Also, they tend to always get a spectacular atmosphere at Allstate, so why bother? 

The Network showed the Nexus takeover Raw this week, Jesus, where are all these guys now? Barrett was on a run before his injury but God, what a wasted angle that they couldn't do shit with any of these guys.

Other than Tarver, everyone's still in the company.  Compared to the other NXT seasons, that's actually pretty impressive.

At a guess, it's stuff that's been said.

1) WWE has a relationship with Allstate Arena going back to when it was the Rosemont Horizon in the 80s.

2) It's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to rent.

3) Ease of access from O'Hare.

Also, they tend to always get a spectacular atmosphere at Allstate, so why bother?

Small pet peeve but it irks me whenever it's said they're in Chicago when the Allstate is in Rosemont. Or saying Wrestlemania 29 was in New York City when the MetLife Stadium is in New Jersey. I know it's easier to say that they are running a bigger city instead of saying they're in a suburb on the outskirts of the big city in question.

• Like 1

Quick rundown of the NXT guys:

Bryan:  Injury aside, things worked out pretty well for him.
Wade:  Main-evented some PPVs, was I-C Champ a bunch of times, hit on a pretty cool character with "Bad News", got hurt a lot.
Otunga:  Proved that "a look" and tangentical celebrity status won't help you if you suck in-ring...but is somehow still employed.

Gabriel:  In NXT "purgatory".  Actually finding him more interesting as a heel these days.  Not the best talker or personality, but KEWL MOVEZ.
Heath:  Found a niche as a midcard comedy guy.
Ryback:  Main-evented some PPVs, doing okay as midcard heel tag guy.  Got a soft spot for The Big Guy lately.

Darren Young:  Solid in-ring but only seemed to show personality when playing off someone else(Percy Watson, then Titus).  Coming out may have saved him from the cutlist.
Tarver:  Liked his look.  Decent talker.  Tough to do a puncher gimmick when Big Show's already doing it.  Forget why he got cut(in-ring or attitude issues?)

Low-Ki:  Wish he'd stuck it out, things may have gotten better for him.  At least I can see him in TNA for the moment.

Axel:  Brief push as a Heyman guy.  Talented but kinda bland.  I'm good with him in the Rybaxel team.
Alex Riley:  One of those guys who got hyped to the heavens, but his biggest push came as a face when he was better as a heel.  Always found him kinda bland in the ring.
Percy:  Dug his character and thought he had potential.  Feel like they stripped down his gimmick over time until there was nothing left of it.
Bray Wyatt:  Doing okay for himself, debates over his current booking notwithstanding.

Lucky Cannon:  One of those guys they were clearly high on, but screwed himself over with his legal issues.  Desperately needed a better name.  Liked him better as a heel.

Eli Cottonwood:  Tall and creepy-looking and that was about all he had going for him.  MUSTACHE.

Titus O'Neil:  A bit marble-mouthed but has charisma.  Liked the PTPs, like the Slater Gators.  Age(37) may work against him.

Kaitlyn:  Had a good run while it lasted.  One of those people who was said to be more charismatic off-camera than on-camera.  Improved in-ring, but then she pretty much debuted on live television.  Never got the big deal about her, personally.

A.J.:  Doing okay for herself, obviously.
Naomi:  Sadly the eye injury probably derailed her big push.  Hope she gets another shot.
Aksana:  Never improved past a certain point.
Maxine:  Started out rough, got better, then got cut before anything could happen with her.

Jamie Keyes:  Barely saw her.

Fandango:  Had fifteen minutes of push, now a comedy midcard heel.  Any developmental divas feel like becoming his new dance partner?
Brodus:  Had his niche for a while as both a singles face and with Tons Of Funk.  Not quite sure what went wrong with him.
EC3:  Was the surprise breakout character on NXT4 and I was honestly disappointed when he was eliminated from the show.  CHICKS AND AMERICA.  They did nothing with him after that except for a boring heel run where he was basically subbing for Lucky Cannon as Maxine's love interest.  One of the highlights of TNA nowadays, wonder if they'll eventually bring him back.

Byron Saxton:  Tough to establish yourself as a wrestler when you're introduced as a commentator.  May be good in a manager's role down the line.  It bugs me that he sounds almost EXACTLY like Tom Phillips when they're calling shows together.

Konnor O'Brian:  Another guy they're clearly high on, to the point where they clung to the Ascension gimmick for dear life when everyone else got cut or repackaged.  Kinda limited in-ring so tags are probably his best bet.

Jacob Novak:  Incredibly bland despite multiple repackagings.  No idea what they saw in him.

(EDIT:  Okay, not so quick.)

• Like 2

The Network showed the Nexus takeover Raw this week, Jesus, where are all these guys now? Barrett was on a run before his injury but God, what a wasted angle that they couldn't do shit with any of these guys.

Other than Tarver, everyone's still in the company. Compared to the other NXT seasons, that's actually pretty impressive.

Dude, when was the last time you saw that angle? They destroyed the WWE Universe! They tore the Fuckin ring apart and sent Cena out on a stretcher. Two weeks later they're chumps.

I'm not surprised, but fuck, why even do it.

Other than Tarver, everyone's still in the company. Compared to the other NXT seasons, that's actually pretty impressive.

Dude, when was the last time you saw that angle? They destroyed the WWE Universe! They tore the Fuckin ring apart and sent Cena out on a stretcher. Two weeks later they're chumps.

I'm not surprised, but fuck, why even do it.

I think something that goes a little under-the-radar as far as hurting the Nexus was WWE needing to "fire" Bryan. He was obviously going to be the workhorse of that group, (you can see it in how he got booked in the NXT shows,) and in tags and such, could have covered for the relative greenness of a lot of the others. Without them, it was going to be a lot harder in matches to make Nexus look like they could match up person-for-person with more experienced opponents.

Other than Tarver, everyone's still in the company.  Compared to the other NXT seasons, that's actually pretty impressive.

I think my greatest regret when it comes to wrestling other then Regal never becoming World Champion is how the Nexus turned out. It had so much potential, and was easily my favorite angle in years.

• Like 1