DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Is this before or after we laugh at the people who were fantasy booking Hero and Claudio to come in, bypass developmental, and team with Punk right away - basically main-eventing on their first day in the company?

Edit: and what Jae said.  I can't imagine Steen going anywhere in the company.

When it was first announced that Hero signed with WWE, I boldly predicted Wrestlemania XXX would be headlined by Punk vs. Hero.

Well, it turned out I was wrong about that.

I think Steen's a different kinda of fat than Hero.  Hero looked flabby and out-of-shape, like a dude who wandered in from a restaurant and went "Hey, I could do that!" where Steen looks fat, but in a more intimidating way, which is weird because Hero is much taller than Steen.

I thought Hero looked fine in NXT. I didn't think his physique was worth firing him over at any rate.

I hope they give Steen a foul-mouthed Baby gimmick that cannon balls onto his victims in the corner. It'll get over too.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the biggest problem with Roman Reigns is that the internet fans are bored with him now.  When The Shield came in it was "Why are they saddling Ambrose and Rollins with THAT GUY!?" then all of a sudden it became "I love that guy! He's going to be a big star! Ambrose is the lesser member of the group!" then it became "Reigns isn't very good, I love Dean Ambrose!"  The interest level of the internet pretty much wanes as soon as a guy becomes famous/pushed.  It's sort of the musical equivalent of "I liked these guys when they were on an indie label/not selling but now that they're doing well I'm into other things".  I mean, isn't that, in essence, what has been going on for the last how many years: "Randy Orton's good needs to turn heel again, he's much better as a heel!" to "Randy Orton is boring!" or "The Wyatt Family is amazing!" to "I don't like Bray Wyatt!" or "When is WWE going to bring up Paige?! She's better than all the divas combined!" to "Paige is so boring."

There's a reason WWE doesn't market towards internet fans, we are fickle and we kind of suck.

• Like 6

What was so weird about The Shield push is that after seeming like a vehicle just to get Reigns over, they started highlighting Rollins, marketing him as the leader and brains of the outfit, letting him do wild high spots and then gave him the intelligent turn and the briefcase. Then, for Reigns main event push, they turned him into cooler Sheamus. Poor logic. 

Also, and I know it doesn't matter, but Randy Orton is a really, really, really good professional wrestler. Not exactly a high spot machine, but I always thought his style of wrestling and psychology would be taken better here. 

I mean, even stuck in a babyface role he despised, he was having wild matches with Damian Sandow and Cody last year. 

• Like 1

I'd be curious to look back and see if the people harping on Reigns' ring attire were the ones calling Ambrose the weakest member of the Shield, in the hopes that maybe those people realized they were lousy judges of wrestlers and were sticking to fashion critiques from now on, but in the end I can't be bothered.

Nah...I always though Reigns was by far the worst member of the Shield.  I've like Ambrose since his Indy days, and when he got signed I predicted he would be main eventing in 2-3 years.  I also predicted that the Rock would be one of the biggest stars in the industry the night he debut in 1996.  Me, JR, Jim Cornette, Dr. Tom, Vince McMahon, the old lady who smokes cigarettes behind the 7-11 on my corner, and my cousin Eddie all got that one right!!!!! 

Cornette's not a good judge.  That old carney touted the chick with the thing on her face as The Next Sunny and Matt Morgan as a future WM main eventer.

'Pro Wrestlers vs Zombies: The Franchise Shane Douglas accidentally kills a wrestler in the ring. The wrestler's brother Angus seeks revenge by surrendering his soul to an ancient demon to gain the power to raise the undead. Angus then pays for a private show at an empty prison to lure Douglas and his friend Rowdy Roddy Piper into a death trap.' www.imdb.com/title/tt2240046

Has anyone seen it? Is it hilariously horrible or just horribly horrible?

I think part of what Caley is saying has merit; some dudes just hate on anyone who becomes popular. However, I think the bigger issue is how inorganic this push feels. For a counter-example, people don't hate Bryan because he is popular, but part of that is that at some point, almost everyone in the audience - men, women, kids, families, groups of single dudes - decided that they really were going to believe in him and want to see him win. 

With Roman Reigns, he was positioned as that guy before the whole crowd really had a chance to get behind him on their own, which leads to fans feeling resentful that a dude is getting pushed down their throats before they are ready to accept him as their guy. 

Re: DVDVR specifically, there were a lot of questions about the abilities of these guys to get over on their own even as most folks here enjoyed The Shield as a unit, and lots of the carping on Reigns here is fair because the guy is all signature moves at this point. The "his slightly different gear is a marked negative" stuff is a bit silly in my view, though. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the biggest problem with Roman Reigns is that the internet fans are bored with him now.  When The Shield came in it was "Why are they saddling Ambrose and Rollins with THAT GUY!?" then all of a sudden it became "I love that guy! He's going to be a big star! Ambrose is the lesser member of the group!" then it became "Reigns isn't very good, I love Dean Ambrose!"  The interest level of the internet pretty much wanes as soon as a guy becomes famous/pushed.  It's sort of the musical equivalent of "I liked these guys when they were on an indie label/not selling but now that they're doing well I'm into other things".  I mean, isn't that, in essence, what has been going on for the last how many years: "Randy Orton's good needs to turn heel again, he's much better as a heel!" to "Randy Orton is boring!" or "The Wyatt Family is amazing!" to "I don't like Bray Wyatt!" or "When is WWE going to bring up Paige?! She's better than all the divas combined!" to "Paige is so boring."

There's a reason WWE doesn't market towards internet fans, we are fickle and we kind of suck.

Beautifully said. I certainly have my opinions on who should be pushed more/less and believe that wins and losses should matter, but still it seems like most internet fans (and even many here) look for ways to suck the joy out of wrestling.

Why does he need to wear a vest at all! That bottom pic doesn't do his Hardy Boys pants justice. And yes, his new gear looks way shittier then his old gear.

They're literally the same pants, just with contrasting zippers.

What they should do is a shocking double turn with him joining the Authority and double crossing Seth Rollins (this should be done at some type of tournament perhaps a deadly one). Then after loosing the title to Daniel Austin at Wrestlemania he should turn on the Authority the next day.

I disagree. I don't think we suck. I just think Internet fans have very high expectations and view the product under a microscope. 

Randy Orton needed a heel turn, then they botched it. It was almost a year ago but when they first turned him. he actually had heat. Now he comes out to no reaction. I guess each arena is made up entirely of internet fans. 

Bray Wyatts promo skills were a breath of fresh air when he first appeared. Then they proceeded to have him come out week after week and cut that same promo. The boring chants were pretty audible a few weeks back. Again, the internet must've taken over that arena too.

I don't think anyone is turning on Reigns. It just does not look like he's ready and he's been getting the rocket ship push for close to a year now.  People are going to be talking about it. And about his man-boobs. And his parachute pants. And how he loads up his punch like a gun. 

The internet fans opinions are not that different than the general fans. It just takes the general fan longer to get there. 

• Like 1

Reigns is another example of why it sucks that the I-C title doesn't mean what it used to. If it did, a long reign as champ (no pun intended) would do him wonders. It would be a good excuse to get him in the ring with veterans every week to get him acclimated to longer singles matches. It would make his rise to the top feel more organic. And it would give him a chance to cut more focused promos about the title and his challengers until he's a little more comfortable on the mic.

• Like 3

Is it weird I think he should join the New New N.O.D. after he fizzles a little bit?  He needs a little extra *something* to take him to the next level.

I swear, he joins the NNNOD and drops a "Know your role" on someone and asks if they "Smell what Reigns is cookin'" and turns out to have a whole fuckton charisma that won't work unless he goes full on heel, I'm out.

Also, and I know it doesn't matter, but Randy Orton is a really, really, really good professional wrestler. Not exactly a high spot machine, but I always thought his style of wrestling and psychology would be taken better here. 

I mean, even stuck in a babyface role he despised, he was having wild matches with Damian Sandow and Cody last year. 

Randy Orton is very good when he wants to be. His timing and pacing his excellent, and he mixes up his spots better than just about anyone. I think most of the hate he gets is because it appears that his effort level varies greatly. I think he's just been doing it for 12 years now, so if the writing/his opponent isn't fresh, he tends to coast. You don't even have to look back far to see this phenomenon. His work when he was paired with Show and Cena at the end of last year/beginning of this year was really uninspired. Then when he got paired with Bryan and The Shield, he looked like a top guy again.

As far as Roman goes, while it's clear his ring-work isn't up to speed for a main eventer, he's still getting very good reactions. He just needs to work with guys who can hopefully boost his game in the upper midcard. I think a program with a freshly-turned Sheamus would do both guys a lot of good. Cesaro would be another option if he hadn't been jobbed out all summer.

I think everyone assumed Ambrose was a heel for life based on his look. Then he took up the Ricky Morton role during The Shield's brief face run, and everyone realized (or should have realized) he's got money written all over him as a psycho face and we all missed it because of our sheltered and ignorant views on face/heel dynamics.

Don't judge a book by its cover!

• Like 2