DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

when I read just drew's post above I envisioned the comedian JB Smoove of Pootie Tang & Real husbands of Hollywood fame.

When it comes time for JB Smoove to bring in a mystery tag partner, it's gotta be Larry David.

JB firing Larry up for his match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUu6Y5_xysQ

We used the public park's tennis court as a makeshift Wargames cage with a huge interior. The net divided 'the rings.'

It was mostly just brawling with lame punches and kicks to the gut...and of course the occasional throwing each other head first into the wire mesh. No bumps, no blading, we weren't stupid.

I was expecting a lot more interesting original content for the network. Where are new legends round tables? Where are today's talent hosting interesting looks at the archives? Heck, where are the longer looks at today's talents to give them depth and much needed character development?

I think ultimately the problem is a huge chunk of those who subscribe do so only for the ppvs. That brings the numbers of people scanning the archives and/ or waiting for certain content to appear relatively low. Of this subset, a good number (including myself) would subscribe no matter what. Thus, there is no rush to produce interesting new content or fast tracking the archives.

I enjoy the WrestleMania Rewind and Countdown shows. Would be nice to see more things like that. Legends Roundtables can't cost much to produce. Just get the backstage agents together before a show and have them talk for an hour. The Heyman doc they just released on DVD seems like something that should've been on the Network instead of a DVD.

I'd heard somewhere that Davey hated his time at NXT, so it's just as well.

Davey joining the WWE family permanently would probably be the thing that makes me throw in the towel completely on professional wrestling.

The American Wolves were in a televised match against the Ascension (on the Network) on NXT and lost. One of them got hurt during the match, and the rumor was that they were told to go home but didn't. The match was pretty sloppy, which I'm not going to attribute fully to the Wolves, but they certainly didn't help things.

Also, Low-Ki has been let go by WWE twice.

Edit: By "one of them" I meant one of the wolves, but I don't remember who.

Where are new legends round tables?

I think this is what I want more than anything else. Especially if they do panels that exclude Michael P.S. Hayes, because he always dominates the conversation & never lets anyone else get a word in.

I remember getting really angry at James J. Dillion & Ted DiBiase in the "achievers" episode because it felt like they were being very dense, short-sighted & holding grudges.

We had this scary-ass heel champ. Triage. My friend Tom Owens wore a mask his sister made for him out of old workout shirts. He'd finish everyone with this nasty belly-to-back duplex where he'd release halfway through the move and you'd end up flying across the ring. I had my turn as #1 contender, and we booked a finish where he'd give it to me, I'd fly out of the ring, and then struggle to beat the 10-count back in. I was holding on to the bottom rope trying to pull myself up and didn't make it back in. My parents let me skip school the next day. Kayfabe, man. He spent the next few "shows" avoiding a rematch with me, until I came back under a mask as "the Star Spangled Ass-Kicker" (inside joke, don't ask) and won a battle royal to face him. I took the mask off to let him see it was me, and he sold it like HHH when Mankind turned into Cactus Jack right in front of him. This time, I hit him with the swinging neck breaker (the "Northern Aggression") and won the belt. Three weeks later he beat me to a pulp in a no-DQ "Southside Street Fight" (we were south of Atlanta, plus it sounded cool to us) to win the belt back. 

We had a lot of free time on our hands...

• Like 1

Since i was 6'3 by the time I was 13, I was pretty much the Sid Vicious of our group of yardtards. I was powerbombing fools left and right. Fist bumping friends and the like. One time a busted our HHH open hardway when I accidentally powerbombed him on the sidewalk. Poor kid retired that day.

• Like 1

He'd finish everyone with this nasty belly-to-back duplex where he'd release halfway through the move and you'd end up flying across the ring.

I knew it was only a matter of time before some indy dude tried to finish his opponent off with a house.

• Like 11