DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

We used to steal "wet floor" signs from school. Sound great, and don't hurt. We'd use the heavy empty wrapping paper tubes as kendo sticks. Can hold up for a few shots before breaking, like a real kendo stick. 

I took a real folding chair to the head a few times. I always covered, and sold it like death, but in retrospect it wasn't the smartest thing i've ever done. We never dropped each other on the head/neck though. We had a friend who was in a wheelchair at 8 because of a household accident that taught us all about the dangers of spinal impact. Mostly kick/punch/bodyslam/resthold. We were like WWWF in the 70's. Lock up, take the headlock, into the ropes, shoulder tackle. Bump, heel takes powder/talks trash to audience, face poses in the ring. We were the shittiest backyard fed ever. No work rate to speak of at all. I just wanted to make uncle Ron laugh with my promos and paint my face with the Confederate flag like Michael Hayes. If I'd wanted to do athletic shit, I'd have joined the wrestling team. We needed something to do between football and the spring sport du jour and our boy Richie built a ring in his backyard. We were set. The highlight? Winning the Regal Oak (the street the house with the ring was on) Television Title from exchange student/foreign heel "Green Card" Andres Stojefski at our first big event, "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down." We weren't good at naming shit. Fuck you. Afterwards, the other baby faces came and draped me in the American flag and started a "USA" chant with the 38 people gathered around the ring to watch what these idiots were doing in the Mayor's backyard. Yup, Richie's dad was mayor, before he was defeated by the lady who drove my school bus. Welcome to rural Georgia. 

Ah, the memories...

• Like 7

My brother killed the territory when he completely no sold 3 consecutive piledrivers on the exposed hard wood floor. I commend him for his 6 week sell job of the subsequent chicken wing post match beatdown for it, but, really, I don't care if you're 9. That's not what's best for business. As far as I'm concerned, he was the one who deserved all the backstage heat for that. Not I. I was defending the business, and standing up for all the other boys in the back.

I used a full Nelson slam as my finisher and,I don't know why, one day I told my friend to just get up after hitting it, we did this about 4 times in a row, hit the slam, he gets up groggy, I killed my own finisher. He was small too, his entire moveset was tornado DDTs and the Acid Drop mixed with the Juvi power bomb reversal.

Man, reading these backyard wrestling stories tickle me so much. I was terrible at actually wrestling so I was always doing this AWFUL Mick Foley tribute act, which pretty much consisted of me getting hit in the head with stuff we found in peoples' large item pickup piles.

our fed started off legit. we did a tournament of "submission matches" to crown our first champion.

things got taken to the hardcore shortly thereafter. garbage cans, steel chairs, tables (we used hollow core doors with no hinges/hardware and laid them across stuff for makeshift tables). we used a serving tray from Burger King and hit each other as hard as we could to see who could break it. thumbtacks. set a table on fire once (i got powerbombed thru it). we had these rubber straps that we stole borrowed from school and whipped each other with those. no scars, no serious injuries.

my finish alternated. i generally used the F5 unless the other guy was too big, when i used the pedigree.

my buddy was a huge Austin fan and of course used the Stunner.

there were lots of DDTs also.

(edit): i still have the belt (a hubcap spray painted gold and screwed onto a weight lifting belt) hung on my basement wall. i still issue challenges for it occasionally. but nobody takes me up on them. probably for the better.

at our first big event, "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down." We weren't good at naming shit. Fuck you. 

If WWE named one of their PPVs "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down" it would instantly be the second best-named PPV they have (Behind, of course, Royal Rumble).

• Like 2

thanks guys. now i had to go and take a picture of my belt. Open challenge.

agwbelt_zpse2413d65.jpg

for those curious, our promotion was AGW, or Andrew Gang Wrestling. andrew being the name of the town.

also, in the corner you can see an acceptance letter from the people who made those "Backyard Wrestling" comp tapes. we submitted some footage but were never actually on the tapes. again, probably for the better.

• Like 2

at our first big event, "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down." We weren't good at naming shit. Fuck you. 

If WWE named one of their PPVs "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down" it would instantly be the second best-named PPV they have (Behind, of course, Royal Rumble).

That would actually be a pretty bad ass event name for a Southern wrestling promotion. 

Good job. 

That would actually be a pretty bad ass event name for a Southern wrestling promotion. 

Good job. 

Or a Dixie Carter snuff film.

Either or. Just saying..

• Like 1

I still have a scar near my left eye from backyard wrestling, tree branch was supposed to snap back and hit me in the face for the finish, but not at that speed, or in my eyeline.

Kinda feel bad I went into business for myself, and unsecured a trampoline spring and punched him in the mouth with it afterwards. Safety first, kids.

The best angle we ever booked involved my partner, JB Smoove, against our lead chickenshit heel Lance "Cake Eater" Alders. Lance had this sweet little Mustang his parents bought him, and he kept interfering in JB's matches, so he had to put up use of his car for a month in a match against JB's Piedmont Regional Championship Ring (a class ring we kayfabed.) Of course, JB makes Lance tap to the Texas Cloverleaf, which we called the Southern Cross, and JB got to legit drive Lance's car to and from school for 30 days. Gotta live the gimmick, brother...

• Like 1

Okay maybe not every week. But you get what I was saying. Just broadcast something...anything that's not "well we're gonna play another old PPV from 20 years ago randomly".

That's the big thing. Having the library is good. But there needs to be something else. Why? Simple. In about 1 to 2 years time there will be people who have watched all 1K plus shows of Raw (as they are uploaded to The Network of course). There will be people who watched all The WCW Halloween Havocs. I am sure this board will have a Network inspired project at some point. People will grow tired of the library (whether it continues to expand or not), especially if it doesn't grow at the pace people want in order to suit his/her persaonl tastes. There are some drooling at the thought of Mid-South going up...hasn't happened yet. There hasn't been any announcments (going into the second half of the 6 month period) of new content lauching for the internation expansion. I am guessing WWE is watiing for SS to end before announcing All Nitros, Thunders, etc will be uploaded by the end of the year?

I've seen some good 'exclusive' moments on The Network this year, but I don't think its enough for me or others to re-up. Someone said it best: The Network cannot be a place where WWE owned footage goes to die.

Good job.

Or a Dixie Carter snuff film.

Either or. Just saying..

I'd buy the Dixie Carter snuff film. Dare I say, I'd even pay $9.99 for it.

when I read just drew's post above I envisioned the comedian JB Smoove of Pootie Tang & Real husbands of Hollywood fame.

When it comes time for JB Smoove to bring in a mystery tag partner, it's gotta be Larry David.

Renee Young: Larry David how does it feel to win WWE World tag Team championship?

Larry David: Pretty pretty pretty good.

• Like 5

thanks guys. now i had to go and take a picture of my belt. Open challenge.

agwbelt_zpse2413d65.jpg

for those curious, our promotion was AGW, or Andrew Gang Wrestling. andrew being the name of the town.

also, in the corner you can see an acceptance letter from the people who made those "Backyard Wrestling" comp tapes. we submitted some footage but were never actually on the tapes. again, probably for the better.

SHIT!  Next time I'm at my friend's house, I'll have to get a picture of the WBW title hanging on his living room wall.

(WBW = White Birch Wrestling, the subdivision he lived in, and where we first started our own stupid back yard wrestling adventures.)

Man, backyard wrestling was probably the funnest times I had in high school. Big trash pickup day was the best, driving around in my buddies pickup looking for mattresses, tables, etc. We would go to Home Depot and buy drywall sheets, they were great makeshift tables or good for a headshot with a smaller piece. Made for a cool sound and visual. Tiki torches made good Singapore canes too, if doctored correctly. Never did anything too stupid, well aside from jumping out of a tree through a sheet of drywall, taking a brainbuster in the grass, or having Snot's "My Balls your Chin" for intro music. Goodtimes.

Y'all could have just done what my buddies and I did, which was get together every Friday and Saturday and play Revenge, and later Wrestlemania 2000, and even later No Mercy, until 5 or 6 AM.

• Like 10

We used to have awesome battle royals on my mates patch of grass when we were kids, sometimes we'd use our bikes around the grass as a makeshift cage of death and you had to submit or pin someone to eliminate them. I don't remember any high-spots being used in the matches outside of for a finish, just a lot of side slams, DDT's, backbreakers, clotheslines and the like because we were old school. I also think we'd read to many issues of Wrestling Eye.

Okay maybe not every week. But you get what I was saying. Just broadcast something...anything that's not "well we're gonna play another old PPV from 20 years ago randomly".

That's the big thing. Having the library is good. But there needs to be something else. Why? Simple. In about 1 to 2 years time there will be people who have watched all 1K plus shows of Raw (as they are uploaded to The Network of course). There will be people who watched all The WCW Halloween Havocs. I am sure this board will have a Network inspired project at some point. People will grow tired of the library (whether it continues to expand or not), especially if it doesn't grow at the pace people want in order to suit his/her persaonl tastes. There are some drooling at the thought of Mid-South going up...hasn't happened yet. There hasn't been any announcments (going into the second half of the 6 month period) of new content lauching for the internation expansion. I am guessing WWE is watiing for SS to end before announcing All Nitros, Thunders, etc will be uploaded by the end of the year?

I've seen some good 'exclusive' moments on The Network this year, but I don't think its enough for me or others to re-up. Someone said it best: The Network cannot be a place where WWE owned footage goes to die.

I like the exlusive stuff they did for Warrior and Vickie Guerrero.  To me, THAT is the type of stuff that should be on the Network.  Some different style programming that still appeals to the wrestling fans.  There are so many workers that will never get a full dvd release, and they could do those docs on the Network.  I would love to see something like 24/7 to build up these ppv main events, add another wrinkle and make people care about why these dudes are fighting, since the writing team clearly can't find a way to do it.

• Like 1

when I read just drew's post above I envisioned the comedian JB Smoove of Pootie Tang & Real husbands of Hollywood fame.

When it comes time for JB Smoove to bring in a mystery tag partner, it's gotta be Larry David.

JB firing Larry up for his match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUu6Y5_xysQ