DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Man, y'all are hardcore. Not that we were backyarders, but when we'd mess around in the schoolyard or whatever sometimes, it was all headlocks, Sid Vicious like-punches to the shoulder, overhand chops, and kicks that missed by miles. Maybe if there were a trampoline or discarded mattress in the backyard where we'd be horsing around, there would be a sidewalk slam or two, which was the only move anyone would actually pick someone up to do. 

Oh, and splashes where we hit our knees first and THEN went the rest of the way to do the splash were a common finishing move. Basically, we wrestled something like Eva Marie, but with way better emoting. 

• Like 3

My older brother and I wrestled very much like Smelly McUgly and pals.  Our only injury came when we tried boxing.  My brother approached it with a, "yeah, this should be fun just like our play wrestling" attitude.  I went into it with, "this stuff's real, bro".  Needless to say my first punch to the temple landed without him even trying to block it.  I ran like hell and we never boxed again.

Here's something that interests me:

The evolution of tastes among the internet wrestling community. 10 years ago, people were all about using blood to get an angle over, Davey Richards style MOVEZ~! guys and PURE SPORTS BUILD. Now, it seems to be the opposite. 

Has there been a seismic shift in the IWC's attitudes or is DVDVR an exception?

Seriously. By no means am I current RVD fan, but dude should have had a run on top in 01-02. He was getting pops bigger than Rock and Austin on many nights.

Yeah, I think those that haven't revisited that era much have definitely forgotten that there was a good six month period where RVD was over in a BIG way.

I could see maybe being gunshy about putting the main belt on him, but they should have just kept the Hardcore Title on him for a year and make it the "Being RVD" title.

Hell, they should do that now, put the U.S. or IC belt on a high midcarder and make a big deal out of him having a stranglehold on it. Would probably work wonders for both the title and the wrestler holding it. And having it be a REAL title reign, not giving the US belt to Dean Ambrose and forgetting that he has it.

Probably my all time favorite RVD moment was during the Invasion angle (actually might have been post-Invasion) when he had beaten the Undertaker.  A month or so later, he had crossed Vince over something and Vince told him "TONIGHT, you go ONE on ONE with the UNDERTAKER!!!" with heel Taker standing beside him. And Rob shrugged his shoulders and said "That's cool, I'll just beat him again" and walked off.  And Taker looked like he was about to murder him right then and there.

Dean Malenko proves that a lot of the fun of a good match can be in clashing styles. Malenko wrestling luchadores and Japanese wrestlers and actually working matches where it was basically a battle of wrestling styles made them so much fun. He's the secret star of the early Nitro era of WCW. 

Also, I like that even when the middle part of his match was sort of forgotten at the end, it seemed like when he'd work holds, it was actually a struggle where he was always trying to get out of the hold if he was in it or he was working to keep it on his opponent as they struggled out of it. That sure beats the typical Randy Orton-style chinlock where both dudes look bored as hell while they sit around waiting for the next meaningless mid-match sequence to begin. 

When they found out about the stipulation for the Rollins/Ambrose match, my stepkids were asking me to show them an example of a lumberjack match b/c they'd never seen one. I couldn't think of any good ones off of the top of my head so maybe you guys can help. Are there any lumberjack matches I can find on the Network that are worth watching?

Dunno if it's on the Network, but I'm partial to Santana/Valentine from 3/17/85 at MSG.  Might be either up as an MSG show, or if they have the old "Weird Matches" Coliseum Video.

You know who always stays good and even gets better with age, like a fine wine?

Dean Malenko.

I always thought of myself as a guy who appreciated Malenko, but now I look back and can't think of a match I want to watch.  Keeping the list confined to the Network, what match would be the best example of a straight Malenko match?

Was that news item (supposedly from the Observer) about Triple H "being mad at WWE fans for being cheap" real?

(Cheap in the case = not subscribing to the network)

Hopefully, the next batch of fans they call up from developmental are better.

Edit: Mad at fans, not made at fans.

You know who always stays good and even gets better with age, like a fine wine?

Dean Malenko.

I always thought of myself as a guy who appreciated Malenko, but now I look back and can't think of a match I want to watch.  Keeping the list confined to the Network, what match would be the best example of a straight Malenko match?

Just go and watch Malenko vs Scotty 2 Hotty from Backlash.

• Like 3

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week. 

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.

• Like 2

Was that news item (supposedly from the Observer) about Triple H "being made at WWE fans for being cheap" real?

I don't believe so.

I remember the Malenk/Disco Inferno match at Bash '96 being one of those 'better than it had any right to be' matches.  Disco had mainly been treated as a comedy character and had never shown any signs of actually being able to wrestle, but the match tells the story of him starting off all aloof as usual, then slowly getting more and more serious to the point where he's holding his own against Malenko.  Of course it's been years since I've seen that match, but I remember 15 year old me being really impressed by it.

Did Malenko and Curt Hennig ever wrestle in WCW?

Was that news item (supposedly from the Observer) about Triple H "being made at WWE fans for being cheap" real?

The source quoted was F4Wonline.com, that's all I know.

I take pretty much every rumor with a grain of salt, given how much of a priority WORKING TEH SMARKZ~! seems to be nowadays.

Never DDT a kid on his Bar Mitzvah day.  When you know his tooth out you will

a. Piss off an over protective Jewish mother

b. Be disinvited to the event

c. Prove that maybe Sergi wasn't ready to be a man at 13

I'd have grabbed the mic and requested they carry him out on a stretcher, not a chair.

• Like 5

Probably my all time favorite RVD moment was during the Invasion angle (actually might have been post-Invasion) when he had beaten the Undertaker.  A month or so later, he had crossed Vince over something and Vince told him "TONIGHT, you go ONE on ONE with the UNDERTAKER!!!" with heel Taker standing beside him. And Rob shrugged his shoulders and said "That's cool, I'll just beat him again" and walked off.  And Taker looked like he was about to murder him right then and there.

I fondly remember a Raw from May-ish 2002 where they teased Van Dam taking the undisputed belt off of Taker only to have it reversed because the ref missed a rope break. Good times. 

My retirement came when twelve-year-old me took a bad pedigree. The carpeted floor shredded my face. I couldn't bare to make eye contact with anyone for about a week. 

When I was a kid, I remember "inventing" the Fisherman's DDT so I got my cousin in the headlock, hooked his leg and just spiked him on the floor. After he recovered, I let him superkick me in the face and it staggered me back into a cabinet that I promptly broke. Our wrestling was like a Concession Stand Brawl, complete with magazines used as chair shots and baking trays used as weapons when we got into the kitchen. You had to pay your dues to get into our House Wrestling Federation. It was like ECW but without the hardcore narcotics to numb the pain of jumping down stairs.

If you're looking for kid-friendly steel chairs, try the lid to one of these bad boys:

plstic-bin-590.jpg

This was pre-Benoit and I was a pre-teen. So of course I let my friends/brother wallop me with my hands down. 

Edit: To cover my ass, I should make it clear that I am in no way advocating doing this or letting your children do this. Don't use those lids. Don't look for kid-friendly steel chairs. Don't try this at home. And above all else, Be A Star.

Is it a case of pro-wrestling (well, WWE) fans being "cheap" or just the majority of people that the WWE Network would appeal to (I.E. people that already were stealing PPVs via illegal streams) just more tech-savvy than WWE anticipated?

You know what they probably didn't anticipate? People just streaming the damn Network...

Sure, it's not the same thing. It's only $10/month & you can pick & choose the shows you want to watch. The price isn't the problem for most of the people that I've spoken with, though. What's the selling point to hardcore fans? A bunch of stuff they've already seen & current PPVs that they're not interested in or were watching for free anyway.

WWE needs to find a way to make the WWE Network appeal to a wider audience. It feels like it's just the for the die-hard wrestling fans right now. Like, why is a casual WWE Monday Night RAW fan going to care about WCCW episodes getting uploaded? I'm just not sure what the demographics are & it feels like it's really underachieved.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1359-jan-2014-wrestling-discussion-reboot-thread/page-68#entry116521

• Like 1