DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, I think it may be Biker Taker was my favorite. I didn't think he was a particularly good worker during that period, but he was so entertaining. I still quote his, "You gonna pick that up?" and the other wrestler asks "Pick what up?" and Taker comes back with "That punk card I just dropped on you." Plus, he has my all time favorite surprise return at Judgment Day.

• Like 1

I liked the start of the Ministry, when he was kidnapping midcarders and brainwashing them. Of course, then the McMahons stuck their noses in it and we got the nonsensical Corporate Ministry. Biker Taker is a close second.

I'm actually sitting in an airport getting ready to fly to the NWA Legends fan fest, so it's quite the bummer to read that Harley won't be there. I know this is always a long shot, but any fellow DVDVRers going to be there? It's fun to meet up and chat some rasslin.

The best Undertaker character was the post-ministry, proto-bikertaker during the summer of 99. It's too bad he got hurt around Summer Slam, because that character was awesome. Couldn't find the guest commentary where Lawler asked Show how he knew if Taker wouldn't stab him back, and Taker jumped in with "Jerry, if you ever ask something that stupid again, I'm gonna stab you in the face." Oh well, this will do.

• Like 1

Harley Race is the new Mark Henry, eh guys?

Harley Race is what Mark Henry dreams of being when he grows up.

Guys like Mark Henry used to carry his bags!

Guys like Mark Henry used to carry the bags of the guys who carried Harley Race's bags.

As for The Undertaker: Bikertaker was by far my favourite. Just a total badass with great promos and matches. I never cared for any other of his incarnations.

Indy rasslin in the St. Louis area for August:

Saturday 8/2:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO(Stratford Inn)

Sunday 8/3:  High Risk Wrestling in Belleville, IL(Belle-Clair Fairgrounds) with A.C.H., Arik Cannon, Jonathan Gresham

Friday 8/8:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Eureka, MO(Brookdale Farms benefit show)

Saturday 8/9:  PWCS in Granite City, IL(YMCA); MMWA in St. Louis, MO(South Broadway Athletic Club)

Saturday 8/16:  SICW iN East Carondelet, IL(Paul Orndorff appearing)

Saturday 8/23:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Glen Carbon, IL(Sports Academy)

I can only assume that Harley will be at every one of these shows, broken hip and all.

Given the insane shit Harley has been through on the road (he even pulled a man's corpse out of a burning car once), there's no way you could tell him not to drive when he wants to. Being his son or current wife must be a bitch, because you can imagine all the stubborn things Harley shouldn't be doing anymore that he insists on doing, and you're the one trying to go against the word of Harley. 

Or hire someone to drive while harley throws empty beer cans at highway signs.

Hire someone???  I would drive Harley around for free.  

Hell, I'd pay money to drive Harley around while he chucked beer cans, shot at road signs and told stories the entire trip.

I'm actually sitting in an airport getting ready to fly to the NWA Legends fan fest, so it's quite the bummer to read that Harley won't be there. I know this is always a long shot, but any fellow DVDVRers going to be there? It's fun to meet up and chat some rasslin.

I wish I could've gone as Charlotte is only about a 4 hour drive but couldn't make it this year. I went in 2010 and it was awesome. This was around the time where D-Bry was fired for the tie incident and right before he came back. I remember when I got my pic taken with him and I asked him if he thought he'd ever come back. He totally kayfabed me and said, "I dunno. Vince was pretty mad so I doubt it." Kayfab brotha! I also got my picture taken with and fistbumped Sid Vicious, got zinged by Jim Cornette and Virgil rooked me out of $5.

Sunday 8/3:  High Risk Wrestling in Belleville, IL(Belle-Clair Fairgrounds) with A.C.H., Arik Cannon, Jonathan Gresham

Saturday 8/9:  PWCS in Granite City, IL(YMCA); MMWA in St. Louis, MO(South Broadway Athletic Club)

I can only assume that Harley will be at every one of these shows, broken hip and all.

Harley's own promotion has shows, but there's mostly in central Missouri and I tend to go to shows closer to home since I'm middle-aged and lazy.  It seems like fate constantly conspires against me ever getting to World League Wrestling; I was fully planning on going to the 8/30 show in Troy MO but that one was cancelled.

Am I the only one who liked the late-stage "mixed gimmicks" MMATaker the most of all his forms?

No, that's my favorite too. I think that's really when he was at the peak of his in-ring ability, before his body started going to hell and he had to semi-retire. He was having great matches with everyone from Festus to Batista.

• Like 1

I'm with debut, grey gloved Taker.  Really I have never been a big fan.  Biker Taker was pretty good as well.  Once a year Taker is also pretty solid.  

I'm down with old school Taker, too.  Bearer and the urn, all that jazz.  I absolutely hated the Biker Taker.  It was like running zombies.  And the fucking Kid Rock, ugh. 

I don't mind once a year Taker, either, and the Ministry was actually lots of fun just for how over-the-top it was. 

Harley's own promotion has shows, but there's mostly in central Missouri and I tend to go to shows closer to home since I'm middle-aged and lazy.  It seems like fate constantly conspires against me ever getting to World League Wrestling; I was fully planning on going to the 8/30 show in Troy MO but that one was cancelled.

Didn't they move their gym to Troy or somewhere near there? I thought they were going to run around there more often now.