DVDVR Message Board

Your most hated wrestler and why?

cwoy2j

(Yes, I know a lot of people like the Street Fight with Hunter, and the Mania match with Jericho.  I don't fucking understand how, but they exist. 

They're not as bad as the people that tried to defend some of Undertakers dreadful matches with guys like Kane, Mark Henry, etc. That took place in the Taker/HBK thread some time ago. You may have been one of them, not sure.

(Yes, I know a lot of people like the Street Fight with Hunter, and the Mania match with Jericho. I don't fucking understand how, but they exist.

They're not as bad as the people that tried to defend some of Undertakers dreadful matches with guys like Kane, Mark Henry, etc. That took place in the Taker/HBK thread some time ago. You may have been one of them, not sure.

It's good to see that you're moving on.

• Like 2

Even if I grant the premise that the Henry and Kane matches are as bad or worse (which, some of the Kane matches definitely are.  None of the Henry matches are bad, and the one from Smackdown in 06, I want to say February, is really fucking great, but I digress) there is still a massive difference in length.  Some of the HBK/HHH matches went around 40 minutes for fuck's sake.

(Yes, I know a lot of people like the Street Fight with Hunter, and the Mania match with Jericho. I don't fucking understand how, but they exist.

They're not as bad as the people that tried to defend some of Undertakers dreadful matches with guys like Kane, Mark Henry, etc. That took place in the Taker/HBK thread some time ago. You may have been one of them, not sure.

It's good to see that you're moving on.

Wish I could say the same for you.

• Like 2

Even if I grant the premise that the Henry and Kane matches are as bad or worse (which, some of the Kane matches definitely are.  None of the Henry matches are bad, and the one from Smackdown in 06, I want to say February, is really fucking great, but I digress) there is still a massive difference in length.  Some of the HBK/HHH matches went around 40 minutes for fuck's sake.

I remember the one from a December Raw (I want say 2007 maybe) that went pretty long but was tremendous. The lengths aren't comparable which is probably good because any Taker/Henry or Taker/Kane 40-minute match would be unbearable.

I'm going to go back and re watch some of those Henry/Taker matches because I don't remember any of them being anything more than punch-kick-slam snooze-fests.

I know that King has sucked on commentary for well over a decade now, but anyone questioning his brilliance in Memphis simply does not understand good pro wrestling. The man is still an institution in Memphis for good reason. 

• Like 4

I know that King has sucked on commentary for well over a decade now, but anyone questioning his brilliance in Memphis simply does not understand good pro wrestling. The man is still an institution in Memphis for good reason. 

If all he ever did was the kaufman stuff that would be enough, and there is hellava lot more than that. . . 

If all he ever did was the kaufman stuff that would be enough, and there is hellava lot more than that. . . 

And while I enjoyed the Kaufmann feud, I prefer the Dundee, Dutch, and Austin Idol/Tommy Rich feuds all to that, not to mention the Terry Funk empty arena match.

I despise Lawler. Never liked any of his work or promos, the guy is way too impressed with himself, and I hate how everyone talks him up as a brilliant worker. He isn't, he just had control of the Memphis area wrestling television, and jealously protected that spot to the point that no one was allowed to get even slightly popular in the area. 

No.  Just....no.

Yes. Just yes.

When you get guys fired just because they sold more merch than you, you're a scumbag and an asshole. He and Jerry Jarrett were conmen and control freaks, nothing more. 

I despise Lawler. Never liked any of his work or promos, the guy is way too impressed with himself, and I hate how everyone talks him up as a brilliant worker. He isn't, he just had control of the Memphis area wrestling television, and jealously protected that spot to the point that no one was allowed to get even slightly popular in the area. 

No.  Just....no.

Yes. Just yes.

When you get guys fired just because they sold more merch than you, you're a scumbag and an asshole. He and Jerry Jarrett were conmen and control freaks, nothing more. 

No.  Just....no.

Yes. Just yes.

You sound like either you worked for Jarrett or Lawler banged your chick(which if you're young, is a very good possibility).  You're beef describes the wrestling industry in general.

I'm sure Necro Butcher is a lovely person.

But I really hate deathmatch backyardy garbage wrestling, and he is it's Hulk Hogan, so he is my least favorite wrestler by default.

Second is Jerry Lawler, whose voice makes me want to die a thousand deaths via being staple gunned by Necro Butcher.  

No.  Just....no.

Yes. Just yes.

No.  Just....no.

Yes. Just yes.

You sound like either you worked for Jarrett or Lawler banged your chick(which if you're young, is a very good possibility).  You're beef describes the wrestling industry in general.

I'm trying to figure out why you think those qualities are forgivable/acceptable. They aren't. Yes, I'm aware the cliche of pro wrestling promoters is not a good one, but that doesn't mean everyone should just shrug and go, that's how it is. Lawler shouldn't recieve any respect/admiration from anyone within the business or any fan of the business. 

He is an all time great wrestler and was a wildly successful promoter using a shoe string budget. He did not pay shit but that was not exactly a secret. He never fucked anybody on a paycheck. He was not the only over act in Memphis, lots of the biggest names in wrestling got their start there. Yes he did make pushing him self a priority because

1. He was the most popular wrestler by a wide margin. 

2. He was going to be there next week.

Memphis outlasted all of the other territories before imploding in 1997. 

If the argument is "Jerry Lawler is a terrible human being and a god awful color commentator" then there is certainly evidence to back up the first point, and the second is as factual as an opinion can be.

If the argument is "Jerry Lawler was a terrible pro wrestler" then...  no.  Just no.

• Like 3

Too many to name. So I'll just say Phineas Godwinn. 

Agreed.

Though if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to watch Dennis Knight's matches, I'd much prefer Phineas Godwinn over Naked Mideon.

I was just thinking about that guy the other day. His big "lose his shit" babyface comebacks, which were all mostly just mule kicks and spitting and shit, was top notch.

I also miss Festus for similar reasons

If the argument is "Jerry Lawler is a terrible human being and a god awful color commentator" then there is certainly evidence to back up the first point, and the second is as factual as an opinion can be.

If the argument is "Jerry Lawler was a terrible pro wrestler" then...  no.  Just no.

I can accept this compromise. 

• Like 1

You need Jesus.