DVDVR Message Board

Your most hated wrestler and why?

cwoy2j

I despise Lawler. Never liked any of his work or promos, the guy is way too impressed with himself, and I hate how everyone talks him up as a brilliant worker. He isn't, he just had control of the Memphis area wrestling television, and jealously protected that spot to the point that no one was allowed to get even slightly popular in the area. 

• Like 1

I despise Lawler. Never liked any of his work or promos, the guy is way too impressed with himself, and I hate how everyone talks him up as a brilliant worker. He isn't, he just had control of the Memphis area wrestling television, and jealously protected that spot to the point that no one was allowed to get even slightly popular in the area. 

No.  Just....no.

• Like 2

He was in passable in WCW until about 97. He had some decent to good matches with Liger, Eddie, Juvi, and Super Calo in 96. Once he joined the NWO, he was terrible forever. Wolfpack/post-NWO Konnan was the worst, wrestling with sagging jeans and a girdle. One of those guys that was inexplicably over, though.

At least he was ok as the mouthpiece for LAX, so he didn't have to end his career on 10 consecutive years of sucking.

Konnan's biggest talent was getting crowds of mostly white people to yell about "LA Raza" in the affirmative.

Bubba Ray. Looks like a fat lump of something other than a big scary pro wrestler. Also his inciting the crowd promos didn't strike me as anything your average drunk stepdad from the trailer park couldn't stumble down to the ring and do. I guess basically he has all the makings of an even more inauthentic fake-o tough guy than that orange lego Taz. I couldn't believe how badly they stumbled with rookie monster Brock out of the gate by booking it as a struggle for him to put away this nothing doughboy Bubba.

As far as the Dudleyz tag team goes it also didn't help how lame "get the tables" and the 3D were compared to every single thing the Steiner Brothers did in the ring.

Is there some rule that you can't detest both Triple H and Punk? Because I do. Triple H; I don't care if DDP was Bischoff's neighbor, his rise to the top (well, he was more of a guy with a few token runs with the belt but you know what I mean) was nowhere near as inorganic as Triple H's.

HBK. Just an awful unbearable champion as face. Who gives a hell about some puny male stripper realizing his boyhood dream? And how does a guy who wasn't even a draw at the time just arbitrarily decide he's going to back out of the WrestleMania (XIII) main event....and get away with it?

• Like 1

Konnan threw his shoes at his opponent so I can't hate him completely.

That said, Bobby Lashley, if he isn't in the ring with Finlay, he can f' off. Boring and bland.

Jeff Jarrett has always annoyed me and made me change the channel and because of that I missed out on some of Owen Harts last years.

Tommy Dreamer. I've always wondered why people liked him, he deserved to get his ass kicked by Raven all the time.

The Miz when he isn't teaming with Morrison.

Dino Bravo I've only seen his WWF stuff but good lord he was so terrible, probably because he was juiced to insane levels and it was a miracle his muscles didn't just fall off the bone.

Bob Holly, mostly boring wrestler and a miserable asshole to boot, but a damn fine dropkick.

Beefcake and all his other forms. Boring goofy looking dude who I never got the appeal of, couldn't wrestle, couldn't promo, dressed like an idiot in all of his gimmicks.

Hogan, never liked him got into wrestling in 1991 and was a Warrior fan, like my friends who got me into wrestling and then saw Hart/Perfect from SS91 and my dislike for Hogan was solidified, he never showed up on TV, his whole style was boring, never got into the preaching about vitamins and prayers and he had a skullet and was orange everything about him was wrong and still is. I do enjoy his match with Andre at WM3 though.

Randy Orton is like some kind of wrestling version of Serpentor. They tried to cram all these facets of much better legends like Jake, Stone Cold and even a little Rude (slender cut up badass guy as opposed to puffed up musclehead variation)into this bland legacy motherfucker. His stalking serial killer histrionics aren't a patch on Jake's mannerisms. And the guy's dead air on the mic so he had zero chance of ever being the next Stone Cold. He is what he is and things like ending the streak or winning a few more big matches against Triple H here and there wouldn't have catapulted him into any kind of once in a generation stratosphere.

• Like 1

Just curious: I note a lot of people who hate Jeff Jarrett are bringing up his heel runs, which I can understand (esp during his overlong heel TNA title runs), but do those opinions also cover face Jarrett, as he's a whole different kettle of fish as a veteran face? I'm no fan of heel Jarrett, but face JJ is fucking awesome.

Just curious: I note a lot of people who hate Jeff Jarrett are bringing up his heel runs, which I can understand (esp during his overlong heel TNA title runs), but do those opinions also cover face Jarrett, as he's a whole different kettle of fish as a veteran face? I'm no fan of heel Jarrett, but face JJ is fucking awesome.

I actually prefer heel Jarrett, he plays a good douchebag. 

I HATE face Jarrett, I always remember the Raven match from 03 and how Jarrett survived a virtual mugging. 

He was in passable in WCW until about 97. He had some decent to good matches with Liger, Eddie, Juvi, and Super Calo in 96. Once he joined the NWO, he was terrible forever. Wolfpack/post-NWO Konnan was the worst, wrestling with sagging jeans and a girdle. One of those guys that was inexplicably over, though.

At least he was ok as the mouthpiece for LAX, so he didn't have to end his career on 10 consecutive years of sucking.

Konnan's biggest talent was getting crowds of mostly white people to yell about "LA Raza" in the affirmative.

He said toss my salad and peel my potato on TV every week and no one cared. The man can do no wrong.

And Anderson is so comedically terrible right now that it's hard to hate him.  Same with Jeff Hardy - guy is probably the world's biggest douche, but I haven't laughed as hard at anything in wrestling than Willow in a while.  What an asshole.  

I was wondering for a second who "And Anderson" was.

• Like 1

I don't think I hate any wrestler.  I don't know any well enough to have any personal animosity, and it seems silly to hate a guy because I don't enjoy his matches.  Maybe someone like Hogan or Nash?  Hogan took the "Backstage POWERZ" thing too far, usually to the detriment of whatever company he was with at the time.  I really dislike what WCW became in '94 and '95 after Hogan came in and got some influence with the booking team.  WCW was pretty damn good in the early 90's - 93 was  great year - and it changed almost overnight when Hogan came in as top babyface and got the bookers to push his cronies in feuds (remembers the Butcher... shudders...)

That said... Sabu!  Sabu!  Sabu!  I'm sure I've enjoyed a Sabu match at some point - probably a tag match with RVD - but I'm not going to watch a Sabu match to doubleheck that.  It's safe to say Sabu and I have very different ideas about what professional wrestling should be.  Sabu's one of those guys I completely miss the appeal to the point that it's perplexing.  I've never thought his offense sans highspots looked "hurty" and there are plenty off guys who can pull off his highspots without botching things or - worse - looking like they might fall off the rope at any minute.  I've always assumed the "homicidal.... suicidal" tag line referred to the very real possibility that he would botch the spot and injure himself and/or his opponent.

I also haven't cared to watch Rey Jr. since he unmasked in WCW.  Never really one of my favorites, but I realize the dude was freakishly talented in his younger days and I enjoy most of his matches in ECW (of course, a lot of that has to do with the opponents, specifically Eddie).   Once he unmasked, though.... ugh.  The Filthy Animals stuff is not something I want to sit through, and WWE-era Rey is basically a formula wrestler.  I hate that the injuries have made Rey a fraction of what he used to be.  I really hate that most of his WWE matches post-Eddie have just involved bigger guys staggering around ridiculously to set up Rey's signature spots.  I really hate that 619 is hugely over since it usually involves someone like Kane getting dropkicked, staying his feet, then staggering melodramatically halfway across the room where he collapses across the 2nd rope and sits there like an idiot while Rey sets up for the 6-1-9,

Most of all, I hate that Rey will probably not be walking when he's 50.  He's stayed in the ring well past the point where he could do so without risking his long-term health.  I remember seeing some interview/documentary with Rey when he was with WCW and he made a point to say he didn't want to stay in the ring until he cripple himself.  His stated goal was to make a million by the time he was 30 and get out.  No idea if he made a million by 2004 (probably), but, if not, he made his first million shortly thereafter.  And yet...

Don't hate Rey, but even in his prime, there was a long list of luchadores I would prefer to watch.   He's been fast-forward material for me for years.

• Like 1

Taz. I can't buy a 4'10" monster. Sorry. Survive if I let you? He needed a stool to get his finisher on most guys believably.

"Taz is a freaking midget"

--- Gary Albright in a chat with me just prior to his death

I thought about naming Luger but realized I'm more really apathetic about the dude then hate him. He was good to bring the goods once in a while like when he beat Hogan on Nitro that was awesome and all the stuff I've seen of him before his WWF run shows me he used to bring it on the regular but over all he is met with apathy from me unlike guys like Beefcake or Bravo who I just cant stand.

Taz. I can't buy a 4'10" monster. Sorry. Survive if I let you? He needed a stool to get his finisher on most guys believably.

"Taz is a freaking midget"

--- Gary Albright in a chat with me just prior to his death

We went to a TV taping at the ECW Arena and absolutely ruined Taz's big face promo with a "Taz is short!" chant that caught on. He was pissed. Despite Paul's best efforts, Taz was never the most over guy in Philly.

I did not even see that one. It was the post about Lawler.

Damn it Vic...go read that one and come back.

I saw that just now, I mean it is wrong. But I can follow the broken Scott Keith logic. But the stuff with Lawler is the trying to explain the color red to a man born blind level. 

Favorite thing here is people acting like Taz being short is a secret. How tall do they expect a dude named Taz to be?

• Like 1

Since Rippa broke my years of expensive repression therapy...  Michael Fucking Shane/Matt Fucking Bentley.

In 2003, here he is doing the worst intro/fan involvement spot ever (the fucking Bentley Bounce) and doing a bad job of aping HBK.  And not fucking awesome 1997 megaheel main event HBK.  Or early-mid 90's douchebag midcard heel HBK.  Or really good late 80's/early 90's tag worker Shawn Michaels.  Or even obnoxious but still fucking good 1996 super babyface HBK.

No, he's doing a bad tribute to 2000's fucking terrible, washed up, super obnoxious babyface old man HBK.  Right when Michaels was having that terrible street fight with Triple H, and that ghastly and disappointing WrestleMania match with Jericho, and then launching that fucking never ending feud with Triple H (which included exactly one match that was good, and one other that wasn't terrible) here's Matt Bentley cosplaying as his older cousin, and I just wanted to fucking kill him.  Almost literally.

(Yes, I know a lot of people like the Street Fight with Hunter, and the Mania match with Jericho.  I don't fucking understand how, but they exist.  I also know some depraved souls even like the later Triple H matches, including the all-time awful HIAC, and somehow even worse 3 stages of hell match, but those people clearly need mental help.)

Oh Jumping Jesus Fucking Christ on a motherfucking pogo stick do I fucking hate Matt Bentley.

• Like 2