DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

I tried the Guardian's draw simulator the first time and got: Switzerland, USA, Cameroon, Portugal. We actually advance with Portugal and immediately get whomped by Spain but still, baby steps people.

The other draw I got with USA, Uruguay, France and Holland would be an epic ass-raping.

EDIT: Ooh. Got a draw with Switzerland, USA, Ecuador and Greece where not only did we top the group, but get past Russia and Cameroon to make it all the way to the semis and... Spain, who beat us and BELGIUM to win it all.

The first one I ran with the Guardian one had the US with Germany, England and Ghana.

And then Ghana and England advanced????

So yeah that special "upset percentage" they added might be a little too high.

EDIT - Of course, I ran one that had Belgium, US, Bosnia and the Ivory Coast.

In that one Belgium and the US advanced

They then proceeded to met again in the Finals (with Belgium winning)

Umm... yeah... no...

Rippa or someone with more knowledge of FIFA how would you rank the teams in each of the pots?

I am an idiot and this doesn't have much thought

POT 1
1) Spain
2) Brazil
3) Germany
4) Argentina
5) Uruguay
6) Colombia
7) Belgium
8) Switzerland

Random Thoughts on Pot 1
You could argue that Brazil should be the top team in Pot 1 because they are playing at home. It basically is 1 and 1a. I put Colombia ahead of Belgium solely because they beat Belgium in a friendly a week or so ago. (Belgium also lost to Japan recently)

POT 2
1) Netherlands
2) Italy
3) Portugal
4) England
5) Russia
6) Croatia
7) Greece
8) Bosnia-Herzegovina

Random Thoughts on Pot 2
I like England and they really should be better than me randomly having them at 4 but I think everyone around these parts are well familiar with England and disappointment in big tournaments.

POT 3
1) France
2) Ghana
3) Chile
4) Ecuador
5) Nigeria
6) Ivory Coast
7) Cameroon
8) Algeria

Random Thoughts on Pot 3
Fucking hell - anyone who really can tell you much about the Africian teams outside of Ghana is good and Algeria is bad is a liar. And we will assume they will all field elgible players for the length of the tournament. Basically anyone wanting to avoid a group of death doesn't want to draw France or Ghana. And the US DEFINITELY doesn't want to see Ghana. Well and Chile, who probably could be a sleeper team.

POT 4
1) Japan
2) United States
3) Australia
4) Mexico
5) South Korea
6) Costa Rica
7) Honduras
8) Iran

Random Thoughts on Pot 4
The US expectations are way too high so they most likely will crash out with 1 point. I think everyone always forgets how good Japan is and how much fun they are to watch. I am an Aussie mark so there. Mexico probably should be considered the true #3 as I am pretty sure they finally have their head out of their asses. They are way too talented to keep playing like they did. Only reason I have Iran at 8 is because I know nothing about them - they probably are world's better than Costa Rica and Honduras.

Oh and apparently FIFA is supposed to announce the Draw Format today.

And little note I stumbled upon

ESPN statistician Paul Carr ran through the permutations and, based on his national team rankings, found that the U.S. had a 43 percent chance to move through to the second round next summer. Its worst-case-scenario group – Spain/Netherlands/Chile — produces a 15.3 percent chance of advancement. Those odds improve to an optimal 73.6 percent if the Americans are drawn with Switzerland, Algeria and Croatia.

Aww... so FIFA threw a little curveball

Here are the Pots

POT 1: Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay
POT 2: Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile, Ecuador
POT 3: USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea,
POT 4: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia

As you can see - Pot 4 has all 9 UEFA teams in it. So on the day of the draw, they apparently going to randomly pick a team to be in Pot 2.

No just because the other note was that they will change on the fly to prevent three UEFA teams from being in the same group.

It was unclear HOW they were going to do that but yeah...

Oooh.... ESPN3 is streaming the World Feed (they started at 11 am)

I have no idea who any of these people are but I am totally down with this as opposed to Alexi Lalas babbling