DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, totally forgot, congrats Reise, if you'll ever be sober enough to read this again.

Oktoberfest must be early this year.

Haven't seen any fireworks on the horizon yet, but a group of cars blowing their horns just went by.

Since I have to go to work in around 5 to 6 hours AND since there´s still a final to play, my beer count for today has been at two during the game and none after. I guess I will be at six to seven below average here in Germany for at least the second of the two respective points in time. It took an one hour walk home from my friend´s place I watched the game at to start realizing this actually happened.

If I have ever been a perfect game in football by any of "my" teams, it was Germany within the minutes 3 to 30. Brazil came right at us for like 120 seconds, then we started winning all the one on ones. After a few more minutes, we got all our passes going. And then he hit them straight away on our first set piece. The passing for Klose´s World Cup scoring record breaker was amazing. That dude is such a smart player. After that our team´s passing was just stellar and the team pressured Brazil right from kick off into big errors. It helped a lot Brazil either didn´t try or wasn´t allowed to regroup in that phase. 2-0 at halftime would have been great, but a scoreline that would have left all possibilities for a second half.

As weird as it may sound, but kudos to Brazil for actually trying, especially right at the start of the second half. They honestly didn´t look as if they were just going for a consolation goal, but as if they tried to really claw their way back into the game. This period showed two things regarding Germany: The centerback pairing Hummels-Boateng is vastly superior to Mertesacker-anyone. I love the big giraffe, but this is just how it is. And secondly, Neuer is an amazing goalie. He was there any time he was needed.

Schürrle was the right sub at the right time and swung the pendulum back in our favour. His two goals helped to emphasize that point. And his second has beautiful to look at. I didn´t like that we conceeded a late consolation goal, but I liked how all the players were angry and livid about it. I hope it means they want to improve on that. Overall I have never seen a major battering like that in international footie on that level. Which is kind of logical, since the second highest semi-final win, a West German 6-1 win over Austria, was in 1954, sixty years ago.

P.S.: After today´s match the overall goal tally for this World Cup is at 169. Three more goals for the competition to break the record for the highest-scoring 32 team World Cup (France 1998).

P.S. 2: Major thanks for all the kind words to you guys. Hoping for another interesting semi-final tomorrow.

• Like 3

Reading some reactions of Germans on other message boards, they all seem to be too stunned by the result to actually celebrate, as if they're just walking around asking if it was real or not.

Reading some reactions of Germans on other message boards, they all seem to be too stunned by the result to actually celebrate, as if they're just walking around asking if it was real or not.

It's that thing where you realize you're probably in one of the more marginally believable multiverses and wondering if you're going to wake up tomorrow and find that Udi Kier is Chancellor and shrimp have wings.  But everything else is pretty much the same.

beIN Sports is great. We currently have a 2 month free preview and I'm really enjoying the discussion panels. Pretty cosmopolitan too. Right now some lady with a strong Middlesbrough accent suddenly starts speaking Italian to her guests Arrigo Saachi and Ruud Gullit. Much of the conversation is in Italian. Then she goes back to her dirty northeast accent.

The shows also feature my Sirius XM buddies John Harkes, Tony Meola and Ray Hudson. Also Bodo Illgner, Christian Vieri (who speaks excellent English) and Tony Adams, who I haven't seen since he retired and looks and sounds like he's a little retarded.

• Like 1

I presume that was the lovely Kay Murray.

She used to work for RM tv before coming to the States.

It's. Mildly surprising that many of the lady futbol hosts keep their accents and dont go for the BBC accent. Lynsey Hipgrave still has a pretty recognizable Geordie accent.

Edit:yep.

@KayLMurray: Great to have @GullitR & the man he still calls 'Mister', Arrigo Sacchi on couch tonight in Rio on @beINSPORTSUSA http://t.co/t4rxKPY5Vo

• Like 1

beIN Sports is great. We currently have a 2 month free preview and I'm really enjoying the discussion panels. Pretty cosmopolitan too. Right now some lady with a strong Middlesbrough accent suddenly starts speaking Italian to her guests Arrigo Saachi and Ruud Gullit. Much of the conversation is in Italian. Then she goes back to her dirty northeast accent.

The shows also feature my Sirius XM buddies John Harkes, Tony Meola and Ray Hudson. Also Bodo Illgner, Christian Vieri (who speaks excellent English) and Tony Adams, who I haven't seen since he retired and looks and sounds like he's a little retarded.

I loved that Sacchi's main point translated to "LOL PSG!!!"

Actually they're having a great debate right now in Italian about system vs. creativity.  Collective vs. Genius.  National Integration vs. Superstardom.  It should have just been those two for 1/2 hour.