DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 7/25/14

Big Fresh

* SmackDown opens with a recap of the segment with Triple H, Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman on RAW.

* Ryback and Curtis Axel vs. The Usos is up first. The Usos get the win after Axel gets pinned. It appeared Ryback was upset after the match and walked away, leaving Axel alone in the ring.

* MizTV is next. The Miz comes out and it turns into an Intercontinental Title acceptance speech. His parents are in the crowd and he asks his mom who her favorite Superstar is. She says Roman Reigns to a big pop. Miz goes on bragging until Bo Dallas interrupts to another big pop. They both compliment each other until Dolph Ziggler comes out. Ziggler cuts a promo but Bo interrupts him and tells him to Bo-lieve. Bo then decks Ziggler with a mic.

* Bo Dallas vs. Dolph Ziggler with The Miz on commentary is next. Ziggler hit a Fameasser at one point but Bo kicked out. The Miz distracted Dolph from ringside, allowing Bo to get the win with a roll-up. The Miz then attacks Dolph until Bo joins in and they double team him.

* Backstage promo with Roman Reigns and Renee Young. Reigns took shots at Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio.

* Cesaro vs. Dean Ambrose in a No DQ match is next. Ambrose brings in a bunch of steel chairs. They brawled with kendo sticks and chairs throughout the match. This was described as a very "ECW-esque" match. Seth Rollins came out and attacked Ambrose. Ambrose gets the upperhand and throws Rollins through the timekeeper area. Ambrose comes back in but Cesaro hits a superplex on top of a pile of chairs. Cesaro goes for the pin but Ambrose counters with a roll-up for the win. Rollins comes in and beats Ambrose down after the match.

* They sell the beatdown by having medics come out and check on Ambrose. They help Ambrose out of the ring and he gets a big pop going up the ramp.

* We get promos for the AJ Lee vs. Paige feud and for John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam.

* Paige vs. Naomi is next. Paige comes out and skips like AJ Lee to mock her. Cameron comes down to watch the match from ringside. Paige wins by submission and after the match, Cameron comes in to attack Naomi.

* Backstage segment with Goldust and Stardust.

* Bray Wyatt defeated R-Truth. A chant for Chris Jericho broke out during the match. Wyatt cut a promo after the match and took shots at Jericho.

* They aired more promos for the SummerSlam main event.

* Alberto Del Rio vs. Roman Reigns is next. Del Rio gets no love from Florida fans. Reigns gets the win with a spear. SmackDown ends with Reigns celebrating.

* Ryback and Curtis Axel vs. The Usos is up first. The Usos get the win after Axel gets pinned. It appeared Ryback was upset after the match and walked away, leaving Axel alone in the ring.

They can't be thinking of breaking up Rybaxel, can they? There are already only two heel teams in the division.

They can't be thinking of breaking up Rybaxel, can they? There are already only two heel teams in the division.

They've been together for a couple months...it's time to split them up!

• Like 1

The Dark Main Event was Kane coming out and calling for a "body" from the back, which led to the return of Big Show, since he's done filming Vendetta.

What a treat for the live crowd. I'm sure they all stayed too.

• Like 1

Guest meowput

The Reigns/ADR main was Roman's best singles match to date and a strong main. Great to see him adding variations to his big spots. I was just watching the Shield's debut TLC match the other day and he looks like a completely different wrestler. Say what you want about him but he's improved very rapidly in a very short period.

Del Rio/Reigns was terrific. All the arm work was suitably nasty looking, and I love how ADR can adapt almost any situation to turn it back to body part offence (such as going from being caught in the corner to holding an armbar over the ropes). Also loved the way Reigns was hanging from the second rope with both arms, but had to let go with the bad arm after a few seconds as it couldn't hold his body weight.

I also thought Paige's disingenuous "I like AJ, and I like you too Naomi" promo was her best so far.

Dean's "I can do this all night!" to Cesaro WHILE getting his ass kicked reminded me of Pam getting beat up when they mistook her for Cheryl on Archer:

http://youtu.be/1lcN2AP6NWQ

I think if you have Ambrose vs. Mark Henry where they both trash talk while getting and delivering a beating Rippa's pants might explode.

There were a ton of ad-libs throughout Cesaro/Ambrose and they made the match as much as the work. Cesaro's frustration was boiling over after that small package so him coming in with the ultimate post-face-scrape boot and then the Neutralizer was glorious. The crowd went dead silent after the curbstomp which was kinda cool and unexpected. I would have liked to see Ambrose push away the docs and crawl all the way to the back. Lots of great stuff in that one, every shot counted, Ambrose was ripping off Sandman and Cactus spots, Cesaro was just vicious with the stick. Pacing was slow but that lent realism to the brutality. Really good match. 

Cesaro/Ambrose was a friggin' war. Ambrose is the king. I know he's had the next Roddy Piper rep for a while now but he totally had that vibe going on in Smackdown -- he knows he's hurt and will forever get hurt and will be climbing up a wall but f-- it, the dude has been through worse and gives zero craps about taking a curb stomp or whatever petty little game HHH will play with him. HE gets to win.

I love that The Authority takes him more seriously than Cena or Reigns or the other thorns in their side. They keep on beating him down while Cena and Reigns go untouched. HHH has dealt with Cena for a decade. They've seen dudes like Reigns before. But Ambrose? Man, there's no one quite like him. "WHY WON'T YOU LEARN TO DIE" is the perfect thing for Rollins to say. Just pure frustration at having to deal with his biggest nightmare.

I really want Ambrose to end up with the briefcase and to just throw himself wildly into the Lesnar beast mode.

They've coyly slipped Cesaro into what they were grooming Wade for, as The Authority's hitman. Hopefully they keep that up because Cesaro's pretty perfect for that spot.

• Like 2