DVDVR Message Board

Best wrestlers/performances after 40?

Ramsey

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I was taking time away from here when this thread was created as I lost my Mum on the 26th of June and buried her in July. Interesting reading it now. A name not brought up, Minoru Suzuki.

The board weren't watching much NJPW in 2014, were we? When did NJPW World launch?

Wow some blasts from the past in this thread! Gotta throw Archer into the mix, though nothing in AEW has yet matched his stellar G1 run awhile back, I’m sure he still has the goods to bring it in a high profile match again. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Inoki was 45 when he wrestled Fujinami to one of my favourite Broadways on 8/8/88.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

17 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This thread will soon be full of fun Christian TV matches. 

At a first glance, I read this wrong and was wondering what wrestling is there on "Christian TV"? But yeah, you mean once he gets going on Dynamite. That should be quite the treat, with the right opponents.

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Tenryu had that Triple Crown run when he was 52 I think. Had a great match with Muto.

I'd go as far to say that I really don't have any desire to see under-40 Tenryu.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Log said:

I'd go as far to say that I really don't have any desire to see under-40 Tenryu.  

I saw 30 year old Tenryu in Georgia wrestling Mike Sharpe last night, and he did a Bret Hart style stomp punch and it was the weirdest thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I saw 30 year old Tenryu in Georgia wrestling Mike Sharpe last night, and he did a Bret Hart style stomp punch and it was the weirdest thing.

One of my absolute favorite things in all of pro wrestling is seeing a Tenryu match with some young punk.  The match starts and the punk cheap-shots Tenryu and he makes that, "Did you really just fucking do that?!?!" face.  That face.  It's one of my favorite things.  Then there's the ass-beating that follows.  That's also one of my favorite things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Log said:

One of my absolute favorite things in all of pro wrestling is seeing a Tenryu match with some young punk.  The match starts and the punk cheap-shots Tenryu and he makes that, "Did you really just fucking do that?!?!" face.  That face.  It's one of my favorite things.  Then there's the ass-beating that follows.  That's also one of my favorite things.

I have a lot of post AJPW Tenryu ahead of me, actually, but one match I love along those lines is the 05 Ogawa match. Obviously, 38-39 year old Ogawa isn't a "young punk" but he's absolutely a punk.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I have a lot of post AJPW Tenryu ahead of me, actually, but one match I love along those lines is the 05 Ogawa match. Obviously, 38-39 year old Ogawa isn't a "young punk" but he's absolutely a punk.

Tenryu has this gift for making pretty much anybody a punk.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Log said:

God, the KENTA match where he tries to jump Tenryu during introductions and spends the rest of the match getting lit the fuck up?  That's good pro wrestling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Salads said:

Suzuki (currently 52), Tanahashi (44) and Ishii (45) are the 'gotta be up there' 2021 entrants to this topic from NJPW's side.

Let's not sleep on Jushin "Thunder" Liger (57) and El Samurai (55). The number of luchadores is just simply ridiculous. I'm totally with the Rev in that I really don't start paying attention to a wrestler until they hit thirty, and don't take them seriously until they pass thirty-five. This is the source of my long-standing disagreement with Dave Meltzer on the WON HOF criteria. Yes, it IS certainly possible to assemble a body of work that merits HOF consideration before 35. Equally possible, nay, likely probable is the likelihood of not really putting all the pieces together until age 35. We used to think that baseball players peaked between age 27-35 and we've come to see that just simply isn't true. In he case of wrestling which is much more of a subjective thing, in fact getting more with less, it is really about working smarter, not harder. Tanahashi may be the t best case  study we have as he's worked with the same opponents for a number of years and has had to adapt to keep things fresh. To do so over a decade is difficult, to do bleso over twenty-five years is amazing, pushing thirty years is simply incomprehensi.

s

• Like 1

If you have ever had a chance to see Navarro Negro and Solar strut their stuff against each other, you emerged a better person. The time I saw it live, it was a clinic, and they deserved all the money thrown into that ring.

- RAF

p.s. - Wow that was a loaded card there. The poster is awesome but won't load here ("not a https address") so here is a link:

http://highspots.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/maskedmania-1.jpg

Check this out:

Name of the event:    Masked Mania
Date:    27.04.2014
Commentary by:    Joe Dombrowski, Leonard F. Chikarason & Sean Waltman
Tag Team Match
Latin Dragon & Ultimo Panda defeat The Spectral Envoy (Frightmare & Hallowicked)
Six Man Tag Team Match
The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian) & Green Ant defeat 3 Live Gringos (Chuck Taylor, Orange Cassidy & Papadon)
FLLM Masters Title Match
Negro Navarro (c) defeats Solar
PWR World Mini's Title Match
Mini Mariachi (c) defeats Pierrothito
PWR World Women's Title Match
Christina Von Eerie (c) defeats Sumie Sakai
Singles Match
Cassandro defeats Matt Cross
Six Man Tag Team Lucha Hardcore Match
La Familia de Tijuana (Bestia 666 & Damian 666) & Sabu defeat BLK OUT (BLK Jeez & Ruckus) & Homicide
IWL World Heavyweight Title Match
Dr. Wagner Jr. (c) defeats LA Par-K

And this fellow took lots of pics, like the one below - 

i-5XmDtCG-O.jpg

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
added more STUFF

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

Let's not sleep on Jushin "Thunder" Liger (57) and El Samurai (55).

Samurai has not wrestled in almost 8 years. Also did he do anything notable since the mid 00s? Samurai is actually one of the guys to break down relatively early.

Finlay had a good run about 10 years ago after he had to get released. He was working Japan,  Tajiri's promotion SMASH and indies.

Kevin Nash put on his working boots in TNA especially when he was working with the X Division. It's almost as if he set out to make up for his WCW run. He could have gotten away with doing damn near nothing in TNA but he decided that he was going to put on an effort to get these guys over. The backstage segments were some of the best you'll ever see anywhere. Even the run when they brought back Hall and Waltman at the end. 

Sting had a really good run in TNA as well. Some of his best promos too.

It's just proof of how the WWE system of doing things doesn’t work for these old school talent 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, Robert s said:

Samurai has not wrestled in almost 8 years. Also did he do anything notable since the mid 00s? Samurai is actually one of the guys to break down relatively early.

Missed this. So sorry to hear this, I just sort of assumed he was showing up at various Japanese indies and kicking ass and taking names. Yeah, if he more or less quit in the mid-nineties, he'd have just been in his mid-forties, an age when lots of guys are just figuring it out.