DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

My 10th grade Bio 2 teacher died this past Saturday, unexpectedly. He was a pretty good teacher, seemed like a pretty nice guy. It's not, like, the end of the world, but kinda a weird feeling.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got past math with a passing grade using means I'm not very proud of, but hook or crook. That whole semester was bizarre and I lost my mind.  By the time it was over I lost a friend or more accurately I found out they were never a friend. It has hurt every relationship I have because I trusted this person completely; so now I really don't trust anyone.

We are now in the writing course and I am doing very well. I got a lot of praise for some of the work I have done and its something I am not use to. I am built to handle apathy and hate, praise is completely foreign to me. Suppose I see any praise or kindness as a trap to get me to let my guard down. 

• Like 4

There was a shooting Saturday night at the water park near me. I found out my nephews were there separately. The youngest ran back into the park as people were rioting to get out to find his brother. I am proud of how much he loves his brother and how brave he is, but I am also mad he put him in danger. My oldest was looking out for little kids getting separated from there parents. He informed me that he and his friends, have worked out drills in the event of a shooting, because this is our world now. Thankfully no one was killed or seriously injured but two people were shot. 

• Sad 4

On 5/9/2019 at 5:45 AM, Brian Fowler said:

My 10th grade Bio 2 teacher died this past Saturday, unexpectedly. He was a pretty good teacher, seemed like a pretty nice guy. It's not, like, the end of the world, but kinda a weird feeling.

Several years back (05/06 I think) my high school world history teacher, who was by far the best teacher I had in either high school or college committed suicide. During my senior year he became vice principal and was the principal of the school at the time. From all accounts he went above and beyond to do as much good for the student body as he could during his tenure and based on how good he was as an educator I'm sure he was just as effective as an administrator. 

So, anyone here drink Sugar free Red Bull? Anyone know somebody who drinks sugar free Red Bull? No? Thought not. It's a pointless product. Sugar free drinks are for people who care about their long term health, energy drinks are for people who think solely in the very short term. If you go for Sugar Free for any reason other than Pepsi Max tasting nicer than regular Pepsi, you aren't touching energy drinks with a bloody ten foot pole. It's a fucking PR stunt, nothing more. Waste of shelf space. How do you have a product with 18 months of shelf life, and you still reduce half of your allocation? Because no fucker buys it, that's why.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, AxB said:

So, anyone here drink Sugar free Red Bull? Anyone know somebody who drinks sugar free Red Bull? No? Thought not. It's a pointless product. Sugar free drinks are for people who care about their long term health, energy drinks are for people who think solely in the very short term. If you go for Sugar Free for any reason other than Pepsi Max tasting nicer than regular Pepsi, you aren't touching energy drinks with a bloody ten foot pole. It's a fucking PR stunt, nothing more. Waste of shelf space. How do you have a product with 18 months of shelf life, and you still reduce half of your allocation? Because no fucker buys it, that's why.

I used to buy it when I worked late nights. But as I'm asexual, I am indeed no fucker, so your theory remains in tact.

Oddly, the only time I can remember someone buying the sugar free red bull specifically was to mix it with vodka.

I rarely buy energy drinks, only when I'm just absolutely exhausted and have to do something. I often buy sugar free Rockstar in those rare cases. Shrug

I've no use for energy drinks (except for my two pots of coffee daily). A friend of mine that owned a bar I played darts at used to drink this horrible combo of Jager and Red Bull, he offered it to me on more than one occasion, finally curiosity got the better of me and I tasted one. Spit right there in the bar, damn that was nasty.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, OSJ said:

I've no use for energy drinks (except for my two pots of coffee daily). A friend of mine that owned a bar I played darts at used to drink this horrible combo of Jager and Red Bull, he offered it to me on more than one occasion, finally curiosity got the better of me and I tasted one. Spit right there in the bar, damn that was nasty.

JAGER BOMBS!!!

Yeah, I used to really like those. Now? The last time I had any alcohol was almost a month ago at NXT: Asbury Park.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

JAGER BOMBS!!!

Oh yeah, that's what he called it. He wasn't too amused that I spit it out on his floor, but there ya go.  It was over thirty years ago and I still recall how vile that shit tasted, FWIW I wasn't a big fan of Jager back in the day, if I want to get fucked out of my skull on hyper-sweet tasting booze, I'm a Peppermint Schnapps guy, 120 proof thank you very much. Couple of pints of that shit in you and it's time to go DOWNTOWN MUTHAFUCKA!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I like/liked peppermint schnapps. Sometimes when I'm sick, I'll get a little bottle and dump it in my hot chocolate. I only really liked Jager in Jager bombs. I hate the licorice taste, same with ouzo and sambuca.

You're Greek! You're supposed to love that stuff! Of course, I'm Irish-Armenian and I'd rather drink anything flavored with licorice than not. True story, when my favorite watering hole held their last night of business (and it was New Year's Eve), they started giving away anything that was open as they weren't going to transport a bunch of open bottles to their new joint. One of the bartenders (who had always had the hots for me) gave me the nearly full bottle of Sambuca. We invented a drink called "Starry Night", Sambuca and Goldschlager. My oh my, I finished the bottle sometime around eleven and was working on the Ouzo when the New Year came in.  Need I ad, cocaine's a helluva drug. ?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, I like/liked peppermint schnapps. Sometimes when I'm sick, I'll get a little bottle and dump it in my hot chocolate. I only really liked Jager in Jager bombs. I hate the licorice taste, same with ouzo and sambuca.

I am going to have tap out from this thread. The wife just called to see if I wanted anything from Albertson's other than spicy chicken wings and I almost said "Get me a pint of schnapps!" Thirty-one years this month without a drink of alcohol and I still have moments like that. WTF? I guess this shit never truly goes away. Granted, she wouldn't have bought the schnapps in the first place and if she did, I'd just give it to our crazy neighbor who sees black helicopters everywhere.

I'm glad that you can exercise the self-control to utilize alcohol properly, unfortunately my idea of proper use is to drink the bar dry and then start in on another one.

• Like 3

My friend was on the cover of the local paper today. He was getting a trophy commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings. He was a Sergeant in the Royal Marines at the time. He already has a Legion D'Honneur, obviously.

I'd known him for years before he mentioned he'd been in the military. Also I'd guessed he was late seventies early eighties age wise, but he's actually ninety six.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, OSJ said:

It was over thirty years ago and I still recall how vile that shit tasted.

All that drinking has ruined your memory. Red Bull was only created 32 years ago in Asia, slowly trickled through Europe and didn't enter the US until about 20 years ago. The internet suggests that Jager Bombs only became a thing about 15 years ago.

3 hours ago, Swiftian said:

All that drinking has ruined your memory. Red Bull was only created 32 years ago in Asia, slowly trickled through Europe and didn't enter the US until about 20 years ago. The internet suggests that Jager Bombs only became a thing about 15 years ago.

That could well be, I have a memory of some vile tasting crap that was supposed to be loaded with caffeine so you could stay up longer and DRINK MORE!  I also recall buying this horrible shit that was on close-out at the liquor store for a buck-fifty for a fifth, Kummell, I believe it was called, imagine booze flavored with caraway seeds, yes, it was every bit as bad as it sounds. We bought the last three fifths as it was such a good deal and then spent a week trying to figure out what to mix it with to kill the atrocious taste. Nothing seemed to work, the caraway flavor overcame anything. Then there was our abortive attempt to make absinthe, yeah, that didn't go well at all, wormwood is pretty disgusting under the best of circumstances, trying to filter it to make absinthe doesn't work worth a shit, there were very few alcoholic drinks that I couldn't somehow choke down, but that attempt at absinthe was so bitter that there was just no way that I could swallow it without it coming right back up.

Oh, another big winner was Chateaux Mint-flavored Gin. When they got that shit down to $1.20 per pint, we swooped in and bought the last two cases. Damn, that shit was vile.  As far as memory goes, considering all the crap I drank until 31 years ago, I'm surprised that I can remember what I had for breakfast. Yeah, 6/26 will thirty-one years since I've indulged. Wow, I've been sober longer than some of the folks posting here have been alive... How's that for perspective?

• Like 1

I'm blessed in that I've never had a problem with drinking. I get drunk maybe twice a year, have a few drinks here and there maybe a half a dozen other times, and I literally don't think I've ever drank alcohol on more than two consecutive days in my life, and you can probably count on one hand the number of times I've done so on two straight days.

I have no idea what it's like to be addicted to booze, and I've never desired to drink more often. 

I applaud anyone that's never had addiction fuck up their life for any period of time. I've been drinking since I was 15 and started doing coke when I was 21 and stopping the blow in 2014; with a few relapses after. I should be dead, but I believe my late grandfather and late uncle are my guardian angels.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

There was a small fire at my local supermarket, one of the letters in the illuminated sign spontaneously combusted. It says S insbury's now. There used to be a letter A. Now there's just a flaming A hole. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I got a new laptop here at work but Windows 10 security measures enacted by the parent company dictate that I can't just use a share on it to move my files over.  So I'm using a USB drive to sneakernet files between two laptops 5" apart like it's not 2019.  WTF dudes.

• Haha 1

No, that sounds like 2019: where we pretend things are done in the name of "security", but they're so annoying and onerous that, to get around their stupidity, we do things that are considerably less secure and potentially more dangerous.

• Like 2