DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

My admin. assistant is having a grand ole time reminding me that, as of today, I am too old to tell people I am in my early 50’s.  I am officially in my mid-50’s.  Oh joy.

I jokingly threatened to fire her but she correctly pointed out that she is wonderful and indispensable and does a lot to keep the rest of the firm from finding out how inept I really am.

I mean, I knew that.  I was just hoping she hadn’t figured it out.  Now I really am her puppet,

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

My admin. assistant is having a grand ole time reminding me that, as of today, I am too old to tell people I am in my early 50’s.  I am officially in my mid-50’s.  Oh joy.

I jokingly threatened to fire her but she correctly pointed out that she is wonderful and indispensable and does a lot to keep the rest of the firm from finding out how inept I really am.

I mean, I knew that.  I was just hoping she hadn’t figured it out.  Now I really am her puppet,

When I worked for a big commercial real estate company it was the joke that old Mr. Edens was just the figurehead, his executive admin Holly was the one who really ran the company.

Surprised it took this long, really, but finally ran into my first Amazon scam.

Ordered a "new" copy of Absolute Sandman vol. 3 off AbeBooks (which is owned by Amazon anyway), and just got...something in the mail.  A used something. 

It appears this scumbag in CA decided to make a listing for a "new", order a "very good" from Amazon Marketplaces, then have that item shipped to me instead of to them, pocketing the $20 difference in price for the 2.  Luckily, the other seller did not follow the instructions included with the order (all caps, "GIFT DO NOT INCLUDE PRICE") and did point out that they sold it for $43 (plus shipping) instead of $63+.  So now I have a chargeback claim waiting with my credit card company and about 10 different photos showing that the book was not in new condition (and the different shipping address, and the secondary receipt) that I can use as evidence.

The real slap in the fucking face is that they *did* ship something from their address, too: a paperback copy of a Nicholas Sparks book.  It's the literary equivalent of littering.

My posting around here has really dropped off the past few weeks, probably because work has just been kicking my one-legged butt recently.

The beverage merchandising team I’m on is very small (like seven people) and we have one person who got promoted and is moving to a different role. With them training in their new role, me and the other admin have picked up extra duties plus we’re training someone on the basics to help fill in when we get overwhelmed. Yeah, it’s stressful right now but we’ll be fine!

Anyway, I said that to say that kinda been checked out on here recently. Because of work, just been tired and just haven’t really been motivated to jump on and check the board. I’ll still add some thoughts when I can but most of my time I have to check out the board or watch wrestling is on the weekends.

• Like 1

My wife actually answered one of the eleventeen billion daily scam calls we get this afternoon.  This one said US customs had an arrest warrant out for our her arrest.  Would've maybe been a little more believable if the scammer could've actually pronounced her supposed last name (Salazar) remotely correctly.  If I had to guess, I'd say neither of us being able to stop laughing probably told her she wasn't going to get anywhere.  My wife finally annoyed her enough that she hung up on us.

• Like 1

I got a message from my mom that some of our cousins near Whitesburg, KY lost everything in the floods down there. I used to go visit with my grandparents when I was a kid as they were from that area. We would drive down for a week or so each summer I was off school and we'd stay with my grandma's brother who lived in a holler called Spring Branch up the side of a mountain near Jeremiah, KY. There were also big family reunions where we'd grill hot dogs, hamburgers, skip rocks and my great uncle would make his famous corn fritters. I remember the little towns down there like Isom, Blackey, Fleming-Neon and Jenkins. Those were some fun times as a kid. It's horrible to see what's happened down there with all the flooding. I don't know if anyone has seen pictures of the flooding from there but it's terrifying.

• Sad 2

Thanks, Verizon, for slapping unwanted bullshit on my internet service so that, when I come to you to get rid of it, it takes 20 fucking minutes of someone chirping, "Are you happy with your service?!?  How do you typically use your internet?!?!? Blah-de-blah-de-blah!!!"  I get it's their jobs, but FUCK CORPORATE AMERICA for making it their jobs.  You useless fucks.

• Like 2

But, srsly, can we interest you in Verizon Cloud so you can have access to all your files on the go? Free for the first month, you will be automatically enrolled forever in this incredible service if you don't not say "yes" but not "no" in the next 5 seconds.

I use a lot of informal english for my typing style and I haven't proofreaded my stuff in years.

I did cut down the pictures posting spam, and I will cut down some more as the months go by.

I guess today shows why we should be more understanding about celebrities being cautious in public. Admittedly, extra dimensions in this particular case, but crazy stalkers are dangerous, whether it’s lady wrestlers, actresses or award winning authors. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Sad 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:41 PM, Blue Dragon said:

I use a lot of informal english for my typing style and I haven't proofreaded my stuff in years.

I did cut down the pictures posting spam, and I will cut down some more as the months go by.

I like your posts and enjoy you on here. I hope you’re not hard on yourself or getting guff about something. You seem like a swell person.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

I like your posts and enjoy you on here. I hope you’re not hard on yourself or getting guff about something. You seem like a swell person.

The other day I thinking about the wrestling belts thread I created that me and @Blue Dragon posted regularly in. I like him even allowing for the fact he's badly wrong on the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship ?. I hate everything about that fucking thing.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

So I was at a restaurant with my brother and his friend (and my son in a stroller) and they argued over wanting to pay and it got uncomfortable. Meanwhile, my hands were very far away from my pocket. Long story short, brother friend paid so we went to a place after so my brother could pay and it was much less and a lot of passive aggressive jabs at each other. My brother texted about the awkwardness. Do I say derp?

16 hours ago, Octopus said:

So I was at a restaurant with my brother and his friend (and my son in a stroller) and they argued over wanting to pay and it got uncomfortable. Meanwhile, my hands were very far away from my pocket. Long story short, brother friend paid so we went to a place after so my brother could pay and it was much less and a lot of passive aggressive jabs at each other. My brother texted about the awkwardness. Do I say derp?

People dueling on who wants to pay is the dumbest thing. Like for me, if someone offers to pay, I do one refusal in case it wasn't a legit offering. If they say "I insist!" I say "Thanks!" and I continue on with my life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So…. How much younger would I have to be to know what a deep is?   20 years?  25?  More?

I suspect they'd need to know how old you are to say. Though for the record, I'm with both you and your autocorrect in not recognizing "derp" as a word. (I'm 48.)