DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

The Green board (what most people call the Green board, with no subforums and no registered usernames) and the Sleaze Thread are two completely different eras.

Green board was late 90s to about 2002-03 (although the threaded board that replaced it was also green).

The Sleaze Thread was started in September 2004.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  Maybe I didn't show up until 2003 or 04 then.  I feel like I've always had a username on the board, though I could be wrong.  

I'm fairly sure I contributed to the sleaze thread.  Lol, who do I apologize to for that one?

15 hours ago, AxB said:

The Green board (what most people call the Green board, with no subforums and no registered usernames) and the Sleaze Thread are two completely different eras.

Green board was late 90s to about 2002-03 (although the threaded board that replaced it was also green).

The Sleaze Thread was started in September 2004.

Definitely mid to late 1990's. I was here when I was still in college, which spanned 1993 - 1997, then one last semester in 1999. I'm guessing sometime 1995 to 1996 ish.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure where to put this so hopefully it works here... 

Next week I've got three days/two nights in the New Orleans area (job in a suburb a few miles out of town). I've never been there and am looking for any specific suggestions of stuff to check out, with the caveat being that I'll mostly be walking and have ZERO desire to take in the night life where the tourists will be puking... Thanks for anything y'all got!!!

Got an email yesterday from chicks@<redacted>inass

The email is completely legitimate and above board (it’s from a surveyor who was working on a lot for me) but it’s still cracking me up 

I’ve got all the maturity and sophistication of Beavis. 

Edited by Robert C
  • Haha 2

Since retirement from the school district, my mom left her place to go live with my sister's family while my brother and his family take mom's place 

So through the last year, mom basically became a home school teacher so that my sister could work at the office few times a week while someone was home with the kids, both in elementary school still. Blessing in disguise as it turned out ? 

Mom and my sis recently went to get their shots and thankfully no ugly side effects other than minor bruising on my mom's shoulder but then also she tends to bruise easily bumping into things since she underwent chemo almost 10 years back. So bruising where she got the second dose didn't bother anyone, and it's slowly fading away to nothing in the days since she got her second shot

Lmfao! So she sees on tiktok of all places some lady claiming that nickels are sticking to her arm like magnets at the spot where she got her shot. Lady on tiktok does the whole optical illusion where u look left and meanwhile she does something on the right but you're supposed to be distracted and not pick up on it. So the sleight of hand i noticed and pointed out to my mom cause she and my sister are both alarmed about the possibility of microchips being implanted etc etc etc. So I point out the sleight of hand thing and they're both going OH! DIDN'T SEE THAT, GOOD CATCH 

And I think the whole microchip vaccine shit is past us. But then mom sent everyone a pic where she has a bobbypin stuck to her shoulder right on the bruise. She lives with my sister so remember, my sister and her family see this in person and they are BLOWN AWAY ? WTF is up, right? LMFAO well this morning mom decides on a whim to try the bobbypin thing on her OTHER shoulder, the one that didn't get the shot, and I swear to fucking Gotch the bobbypin STICKS to that shoulder also ? 

By now the whole family is confused as FUCK! I even joked "jeeze mom, did they give you 2 microchips?" ????

So true story, she at least knows the bobbypin will solidly stick to either shoulder, bruise or no bruise. But the question now is how tf do they keep sticking to her like magnets?

PS - 3 years post chemo she'd have this thing where her fingers would get sticky and would almost get glued to the steering wheel if she left them on the wheel long enough. Typically on hot afternoons or humid mornings, and we'd joke with her that she got superpowers and was going to be spiderwoman because of how sticky her fingers would get. She eventually got a steering wheel cover and didn't really deal with that anymore, so I imagine whatever happened with her fingertips back then MIGHT be causing the bobbypins to stick to her shoulders? Whatever residue or what have you that made the fingertips latch onto and stick onto the steering wheel peter Parker style is behind the bobbypin mystery?

My niece came over this morning and asked if she could stay with us while her parents are out of town.  We emphatically said no, though wife and I both feel bad about it.  The niece in question is in college and is staying at home until she can move into her new place in August.  My brother and sister-in-law are going to Las Vegas to watch my nephew compete in an athletic competition.  The plan was reunite their kids and take a family vacation afterwards, but they wont't take the youngest unless she gets vaccinated.  So....

I'm not sure we've ever said no to this kid, but this was a hard pass for us.  We don't really want to endorse her anti-vaxxer stance and letting her stay with us possibly puts us in the middle of the conflict with her parents.  She was hinting that she really wants to stay the summer over here since things are tense with her parents over the vaccination issue,  

I'm beyond frustrated with this kid.  I hate feeling disappointed in her, but I do.  She has absolutely no reason to be against the vaccine.  Her mom was one of the first in the state to get it.  Her parents got it as soon as they were able, as did both sets of grandparents, her brother and sister, her cousins, in-laws, etc.  There are few elderly distant relatives who are afraid of it, but mostly our family is of the mind everyone has the responsibility to get vaccinated and very few people have a valid reason not to get the shot.

What really annoys me is that the niece probably doesn't believe the stuff she says about being scared of blood clots and sterilization.  My daughters think she's just saying what she's just grasping at straws to back up her position and the real issue is her boyfriend's family (the boyfriend never even got his childhood vaccinations and had to attend private school because of it).  It's likely.  The niece is the type that just says what people want to hear to avoid conflict and has made some dubious decisions to keep her boyfriends happy.  Also, like a lot of 20 year olds, she doesn't read the news and usually doesn't have an opinion beyond "I don't know" on world or social issues.

I dunno.  She's a good kid, but... not a strong personality, I guess.  My girls and her brother and sister are much more independent and opinionated.  I never thought I'd be disappointed in any of my brother's kids.  Normally, I'd take a "we made dumb decisions at that age too" attitude, but this isn't normally and the vaccination issue is a little too important to be laid-back about.  I'm beyond frustrated with her, as are her parents.  My girls don't really want her around, and I can't blame them.  That seems to be common attitude.  The niece had quite a few summer plans and most of them are falling through because she won't get vaccinated.  I honestly don't get it.  I don't see much of an upside to not getting vaccinated for anyone and this kid has absolutely no reason to be opposed to it.  

Just frustrated with this.  Somehow, none of my kids or my brother's seemed to go through a serious rebellious stage.  Most of the teenage drama in our homes was short-lived.  I would never have guessed this would happen with the niece in question, or any of our kids.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Sad 3

@Eoaehow long has your neice been with her bf? It really is a shame that he and his family's influence has taken such a hold on her and put such a wedge between her and your family. I hope common sense will prevail in the end and she will do the right/safe thing.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

@Eoaehow long has your neice been with her bf? It really is a shame that he and his family's influence has taken such a hold on her and put such a wedge between her and your family. I hope common sense will prevail in the end and she will do the right/safe thing.

Two years, though they were together for awhile several years earlier.

My brother says the boyfriend's family isn't pressuring my niece not to get vaccinated.  Apparently, this is her dumb idea to.... fit it?  Or something?  Niece in question kind of did the same thing with her hs boyfriends.  Didn't want to make waves with them, went along with some questionable decisions that got the people directly involved in some trouble.  I dunno.  My girls did their share of crying and moping over relationship issues, but I don't think they were ever this clingy.  Fortunately, they like being opinionated and telling people what to do too much to just roll over for the sake of a relationship.

My wife is going to take another run at the niece this week when they have lunch.  Meanwhile, I've got another fire to put out. One of my daughters told me today that her cousin, the would-be pro crossfitter, isn't making enough money to pay his bills, so his solution is to run the air conditioner only at night to keep the utility bill down.  He lives in Las Vegas.  Unsurprisingly, this plan is making his house hellaciously hot during the day.  The nephew doesn't seem to mind but his dog is another matter.  My brother would give him money for his bills in a second, so I assume he wants to be independent and won't ask.  Doubt he wants to take money from me either, but I'm planning to make some sort of deal where I help with his utility bills for awhile.  I was going to write him a fairly big check in a few weeks for his birthday, so I don't see a lot of difference (other than that, if I help him with his bills, he's going to have to promise not to tell his parents about the arrangement).

I still can't get over the fact that my girls seem fairly stable and independent and have career goals, while my brother's kids seems mostly unprepared for adult life.  I would have gotten a lot more sleep when my kids were growing if I'd realized this is how they'd turn out.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2

Wife just texted me at work to tell me one of our neighbors is dating again.  Normally, this wouldn't be news or something we'd even care about, but neighbor in question is the possibly the local criminal element in an otherwise quiet neighborhood.  Neighbor is nice enough, but she and her husband were middle-aged bikers when they moved in.  Husband got bought out of his family-owned insurance business shortly after that under odd circumstances, and he was mostly unemployed after that.  Then he od'ed in his living room and his kids found him when they came home from school.

A few years after that, the wife started dating again and made the news when she and her daughter spent the night at the boyfriend's home on the same night some guy broke in, killed the boyfriend, and took the neighbor and her daughter hostage (neighbor got shot in the eye - I can't tell; only know that from the news reports and such - and they only survived because the daughter escaped from the basement and went for help).  Supposedly, it was a random break-in but by a dude seeking drugs or money to buy drugs. but I've never quite bought that considering what the previous husband was involved in.

Anyway, wife is like "I wouldn't want to be the new boyfriend.  His survival prospects are probably about the same as our fish" (our daughters liked fish growing up.  Most of them prematurely ended up in watery graves in the sewer system).

For the record, the neighbor is the only experience the wife and i have ever had with seroius or violent crime.  And we weren't directly involved.  No one in our circle of family or friends has ever been arrested, or even had to fill out a police report as the victim of a major crime or even a witness (so far as I know).  We lead a quiet suburban life.  So, basically, we're a little wary of the neighbor in question (not literally, but we do give her a bit of a wide berth, even though we feel bad about it).   She seems very nice and is a quiet neighbor most of the time, but she's still involved with some sort of biker club, and given what's gone on before, I would not be at all sad if she moved tomorrow.  I have no idea if she's involved in shennanigans or just an unlucky bystander, but I'm not wanting to find out.  For one thing, she's a nurse, so it seems unlikely her husband was getting high at home during the day and she didn't recognize any signs.

Edited by Eoae

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 12:46 PM, Eoae said:

So how old is DVDVR anyway?  I was trying to remember last night when I found my way here the first time.  Definitely by the mid-00's, because I remember talking to...someone about being a moderator at the same time I was moderating another site and that had to be 2005 (my one and only stint as a mod anywhere), but I think I was here long before that.  Early 2000's, maybe even late 90's sounds about right.  Is this site that old?

My memory is mush.  All the various board crashes and gimmick posters are running together.  When was the green board with the infamous sleaze thread?

The Wayback Machine first archived the site in May of 2000.  I remember posting here in 2001, I think.  The old green board that didn’t even require a login.

• Like 2

Heard about Cara Delevingne's vagina tunnel a bit ago and I am dying.

(Ok, get your minds out of the gutter.  Not that vagina tunnel.  I'm talking about the one in her home.)

Apparently Delevingne gave Architectural Digest a tour of her home recently and showed them her... vaginal tunnel.  Basically it's a secret room in her house that you access by opening a door that reveals a slit in the wall painted to resemble a vagina.  You climb through the slit and go down a short tunnel to a room that Delevingne uses to read, think, meditate, etc.

It gets weirder.  There's a back entrance that lets you in/out through what looks like a front-loading washing machine.  

Here's a video.  The tunnel bit is about 3 min in.

Apparently, her home has several odd theme rooms.  Still, I'm trying to decide how weird my life experience would have to be or how many drugs I'd have to do to think a vag room was a good idea.

• Like 4

Ugh.  Our AC seemed to be running nonstop after dinner and briefly failed to hold temperature, so I panicked and called our contractor's 24/7 service line.  On-call guy is supposed to be hear sometime after midnight, but AC started running normally right after I called, so now I'm sitting here trying to decide if I think it's just the extremely hot weather causing a false alarm, or if there's really an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain why most of us care about Twitter followers and the like?  I can somewhat understand if you’re monetizing your social media platform or YouTube channel, but that’s not the case for the vast majority of us.

I met with a client this morning and I had to insist she put her phone away and give me something resembling her full attention.  Apparently, the Twitter followers she lost last night are a more pressing concern than the 62 people who work for her failing business.  

I was very polite about it, but I finally had to suggest that, if I was boring her, she should hire another consultant and free me up to work with someone who does value my opinion.

Edited by Eoae

Just a quick thing since i hadn't checked this thread in forever.

Dean starting doing DVDVR reviews on RSVP in 96 or 97 (I figured it out exactly once but I don't have that stuff in front of me right now)

The website unofficially old enough to drink

(The website started sometime between July and Nov 1999 - I remember because it was around the same time as we did the first DVD 500)

I used to know better but Dean and I have transferred the domain back and forth so often everything is a fever dream now

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, Eoae said:

Can someone explain why most of us care about Twitter followers and the like?  I can somewhat understand if you’re monetizing your social media platform or YouTube channel, but that’s not the case for the vast majority of us.

I met with a client this morning and I had to insist she put her phone away and give me something resembling her full attention.  Apparently, the Twitter followers she lost last night are a more pressing concern than the 62 people who work for her failing business.  

I was very polite about it, but I finally had to suggest that, if I was boring her, she should hire another consultant and free me up to work with someone who does value my opinion.

I'm guessing that people just like to know that other people care about what they have to say, no one wants to be on twitter and only have three followers. Now of course some care way too much, and I don't care at all (I wish I had less), but some basic realm of caring I understand. But people that fret over every new follower and lost follower probably need to re-prioritize their life, and certainly when they are in a work setting.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Random work bitching....

When the user/developer/application owner blames the network...

...motherfucker, trust me; it's not the network.  Unless the core switch shit the bed (which it did once, what a fucking nightmare), it's never the network.

Lol, a client once blamed me for a bounced check he wrote.  When I looked at  the books, I realized that the business hadn't deposited anything into the business checking account for almost a week, which is why he didn't have sufficient funds in the account.  Client owned a bar - a cash business - and didn't trust his bank's overnight drop box so he took that day's take home and literally hid it under the bed.  A couple times he forgot to go to the bank the next day (or the day after that).  Normally, I would have called BS on that excuse but, in this case, it was probably true.  Dude was a terrible businessman who routinely made poor decisions.

Do people come to you with It questions off-hours.? That's my pet peeve, at the moment.  I'm happy to answer tax/investment questions for friends and neighbors as long as it's a relatively simple matter, but some want free advice on matters that should be racking up a fair number of billable hours.  

A neighbor called me over the weekend with a simple tax question.  Said he thought his accountant might have transposed some numbers.

About four hours later, my wife was fixing dinner for the guy since it was so late and i was imagining myself screaming and pitching a fit.  Neighbor's record-keeping is a mess and the "simple mistake" is more likely the result of a deliberate omission that the neighbor is only owning up to because he's being audited.

I'm a little foggy on who said what when that night - I needed a couple drinks after I realized what I had gotten myself into - but at some point I agreed to go to the audit appt. with him.  I don't think I offered.  Think it was more like I neglected to say no. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Do people come to you with It questions off-hours.? 

Regular people with personal questions about their own personal technology?  (I'm a IT support/network guy/IT manager) Not off-hours but during business hours, stopping me in the hall or wherever, sometimes.  Everybody is pretty chill and professional, though, and all but one guy I can think of will take "I don't know" or "call your cell company/ISP/Geek Squad" for an answer.  Honestly, one of the very best things I learned, very early on, was to not be afraid to tell someone, "I don't know, but I'll try to find out for you." 

BUT I am on call for work, so that qualifies as "off hours."  I can recall at least two pretty bad emergencies that hit right when I was having a drink or three and watching a movie.  And that suuuuuuucks.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:32 AM, Eoae said:

Do people come to you with It questions off-hours.? 

I get IT-related questions from people all the time.  Generally nothing heavy duty but a lot of people come to me for help when buying a new computer.  Or troubleshooting something.  I can't remember the last time I spent more than an hour helping someone though.