Variety Series

"The Colbert Report"

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"

"Jimmy Kimmel Live"

"Real Time with Bill Maher"

"Saturday Night Live"

"The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon"

Holy crap is Drama series stacked 

RUST VS WALT is too much!  Always so many great performances to chose from in the acting categories.  I still think Michael Sheen was snubbed a little bit, but who do you take off?

Masters of Sex did get some much deserved recognition in the other acting categories.  I'm loving the guest star nominations for Beau Bridges and Allison Janney.

They will surely give the big one to BB this year, right?  

Something I didn't notice before, for the first time in its history*, The Simpsons is not nominated for Animated Program.

Volumes can, should, and probably will be written about how far the show has fallen, but this was still a bit jarring. 

* - 1993 & 1994 don't count because Fox submitted them to Outstanding Comedy Series

No Hannibal and Maslany pretty much proves it's mostly about marketing than rewarding actual merit. There's also apparently issues because they're made and funded overseas and emmy voters don't like to reward shows like that, or something.

Michael Pitt as Mason Verger is arguably as big a snub as Maslany, IMO. He was stunning in season 2 of Hannibal. Every other person seems to be doing watered down "Health Ledger as the Joker" rip offs these days; he meanwhile was playing it like a guy who saw The Dark Knight and figured he could go even more crazier and scary with it.

Who keeps nominating Edie Falco? Emmy Rossmum got robbed. She should have gotten a nomination for her outstanding work on Shameless this season. Also wasn't Robin Wright more a supporting actress than lead on House of Cards?

I think the Emmys should really come up with new categories for cable. Have Best Acting in a Cable Series Drama and Comedy and Best drama and comedy series. Because there's quite a few network shows that get shafted when all the nominations go to HBO and now Netflix.

I try not to get worked up over the Emmys, because it's a product of so much politics and the hype game and old people making safe choices (DOWNTON ABBEY 4EVR), but, man, they are killing me this year.

Like, I understand how Maslany could've slipped under the radar last year, but there's simply no excuse for her not to be nominated this year.

Likewise, where are Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen, Michael Sheen, and Matthew Rhys? I know they can't all get nominated in a category that also has Cranston, Hamm, and the TD Bros, but I feel like we could've gotten someone a little stronger than Jeff Daniels in there, guys. Even if he is the inexplicable reigning trophy-holder.

As mentioned, HANNIBAL can't even get a damn nod for technical stuff, despite the fact that the show pushes the limits of TV in just about every category.

And how did Rian Johnson not get nominated for directing "Ozymandias?" This should not be possible.

Meanwhile, poor TREME dropped down to miniseries and still couldn't get any of its outstanding actors a nomination, because apparently it was important to nominate everyone who had a line in THE NORMAL HEART.

• Like 1

The overwhelmingly negative reaction to the Maslany snub reminds me a bit of the Ben Affleck/Argo stuff. Like everyone knows deep down its mostly politics and whatever, but sometimes they make an omission so glaring it taints the whole thing and reminds you it can't be taken that seriously.

Hannibal to a lesser extent too. I mean, I don't hate AHS: Coven, but there's no frigging way what was essentially Dynasty with witches should have 17 nominations and Hannibal doesn't have any.

• Like 1

http://gawker.com/212401/ellen-burstyn-looks-to-break-the-14-second-performance-emmy-nomination-barrier

Just a reminder: a great deal of time the TV academy don't even watch what they're nominating. Literally, in this incident they nominated Burstyn simply because they saw her name on the credits for the movie and she was a veteran oscar-winning actress so naturally had to get nominated for something. They didn't watch the thing and realize she literally had two lines and was in one short scene. 

Heck, say what you want about the Oscars...even they wouldn't do something THAT idiotic.

If HOUSE OF CARDS was a movie, Kevin Spacey wouldn't get so much as a sniff of any kind of nomination. But since it's a TV show, he gets graded on the "Being a Movie Star" scale, so he's going to be blocking a more deserving actor from getting a nomination for as long as that dumb show runs.

I would vote for Rust over Walt in a heartbeat, but I think Cranston gets the nod over McConaughey as an apology due to last year's miscarriage of justice with Jeff Daniels stealing the award.

• 1 month later...

RUST VS WALT is too much!  Always so many great performances to chose from in the acting categories.  I still think Michael Sheen was snubbed a little bit, but who do you take off?

I really enjoyed True Detective but, to me anyway, this isn't even close.  McConaughey was fun but so much of the role was based on dazzling the audience with a  bunch of flashy-sounding but shallow freshman dorm-level philosophy bullshit.  Cohle is a fun but ultimately one-note character.  I think Cranston was better in a single episode (Ozymandias) than McConaughey was in the whole season.

McConaughey raised the writing up with his performance in my opinion.  All that cringey dialogue wouldn't have worked with a lesser actor.

That's not an argument for Rust over Walt necessarily, but I wouldn't be surprised by either taking the award.

• Like 1

McConaughey raised the writing up with his performance in my opinion.  All that cringey dialogue wouldn't have worked with a lesser actor.

That's not an argument for Rust over Walt necessarily, but I wouldn't be surprised by either taking the award.

That's a great point and one I recall from a very good review I read as well, that Cohle's dialogue, handled by a lesser actor, would have been laughable.  They need a special category just for actors turning chicken shit into chicken salad.  The "polishing a turd" award, as it were.