DVDVR Message Board

PPV's that were a waste of YOUR money

Finlay wrestled a few more matches after the Junkyard match and then was out for a few months, so I'm not sure if he got hurt in one of those and they just said it was from the PPV or what the real story is.

House Show Results from Jackson, MS, 07/25/99
Sent in by Ben

Hugh Morrus d. Scotty Riggs
    Prince Iaukea d. Blitzkrieg
    Ernest "The Cat" Miller d. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
    Fit Finley and Brian Knobbs wrestled to a no contest due to an injury to Fit Finley
    Rey Mysterio Jr. and Kidman d. Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit
    Buff Bagwell d. Rick Steiner in a non-title match
    Goldberg d. DDP
    Sting d. Ric Flair via submission

Wikipedia says Finlay suffered nerve damage so bad in that junkyard match he almost lost the use of the leg - which may explain the fact that him winning the tournament was pretty much not mentioned again, since he had to rehab for months.

Not sure if that's quite correct. Think he feuded with Knobbs afterwards, and they botched a table spot that saw him wreck his leg from memory. Hence why they were paired up later that year when he returned.

Wikipedia says Finlay suffered nerve damage so bad in that junkyard match he almost lost the use of the leg - which may explain the fact that him winning the tournament was pretty much not mentioned again, since he had to rehab for months.

I thought that was at a house show where he did a table spot and it had fiberglass in it that fucked his leg all up.

Finlay wrestled a few more matches after the Junkyard match and then was out for a few months, so I'm not sure if he got hurt in one of those and they just said it was from the PPV or what the real story is.

House Show Results from Jackson, MS, 07/25/99

Sent in by Ben

Hugh Morrus d. Scotty Riggs

Prince Iaukea d. Blitzkrieg

Ernest "The Cat" Miller d. Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Fit Finley and Brian Knobbs wrestled to a no contest due to an injury to Fit Finley

Rey Mysterio Jr. and Kidman d. Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit

Buff Bagwell d. Rick Steiner in a non-title match

Goldberg d. DDP

Sting d. Ric Flair via submission

What's sad is that house show looks like it was better put together than Bash At The Beach 1999

I thought that was at a house show where he did a table spot and it had fiberglass in it that fucked his leg all up.

Yeah, that's my bad. I skimmed the article and conflated the two incidents.

Off the top of my head, I remember that Hak, Silver King, Ciclope, Whipwreck, and Jerry Flynn were injured in the junkyard invitational.  Dave Taylor, I think.  And I vaguely remember Meltzer saying Finlay had been injured, though the injury that put him out was weeks later at a house show.

I just remembered today that I bought WWE Great American Bash 2004. In hindsight the Eddie-JBL bullrope match was pretty good, but I remember being royally pissed when JBL won the title, it was around the time when he did the goose step and was all Heil Hitler at a WWE house show in Germany. And also Rey Mysterio and Chavo had a good match for the cruiserweight title. Aside from that the show sucked balls!!!! I swore that night that it'd be a cold day in hell before I bought another WWE PPV.......and then they go and put Hell In A Cell on the next month! :P

I was 11/12 at the time and bought WrestleMania 15, King of the Ring 99, SummerSlam 99 and Survivor Series 99. I feel like all of them except SummerSlam were a disappointment/waste of money. Thanks, Russo.

Oof, now THAT'S a worthwhile list. Kinda weird to think just how disappointing the Grand Slam collection was during one of the company's all-time hottest years, isn't it? For whatever reason, the B-show PPVs tended to be better at that time. Backlash blew Wrestlemania out of the water in almost every single way.

• Like 1

Oof, now THAT'S a worthwhile list. Kinda weird to think just how disappointing the Grand Slam collection was during one of the company's all-time hottest years, isn't it? For whatever reason, the B-show PPVs tended to be better at that time. Backlash blew Wrestlemania out of the water in almost every single way.

I assume that Russo figured that the Big 4 sold themselves on name value alone so he actually put effort into the b-shows.

God, my hometown not only had to get the shittiest Wrestlemania ever, but also the worst Hell In A Cell match!

Pretty sure that happened at the previously mentioned Jackson, MS house show. The injury is a house show experience story that a good friend of mine likes to tell after imbibing in alcoholic beverages.

I assume that Russo figured that the Big 4 sold themselves on name value alone so he actually put effort into the b-shows.

I've heard/seen an interview with him where he said that due to the nature of the pace of the shows, pay-per-view's like WrestleMania were treated as just another PPV by him and not anything special. Obviously, the main events for Mania 14 and 15 were well thought out in advance (or at least the idea of Austin winning the title was set) but that Mania 15 card was largely terrible.

I remember ordering Rock Bottom 1998 because I thought they might show Debra's puppies... another disappointing event.

In Your House Beware of Dog.

It went out after that promo and then I sat there wondering what the hell was going on as the PPV just went offline. 10-year-old me sat there wondering what was going to happen and suddenly they come back on and you can hear action in the ring but Vince mentions that the power was out or something along those lines and I got even more pissed that you could hear a match going on in the background and we couldn't see it but they could let us know that the power was out. Overall the show wasn't too bad because they did part 2 on Tuesday for free but for a kid to sit there and look at an essentially blank screen for an hour and a half until it comes back in for the main event made me so angry as a kid.

In Your House Beware of Dog.

It went out after that promo and then I sat there wondering what the hell was going on as the PPV just went offline. 10-year-old me sat there wondering what was going to happen and suddenly they come back on and you can hear action in the ring but Vince mentions that the power was out or something along those lines and I got even more pissed that you could hear a match going on in the background and we couldn't see it but they could let us know that the power was out. Overall the show wasn't too bad because they did part 2 on Tuesday for free but for a kid to sit there and look at an essentially blank screen for an hour and a half until it comes back in for the main event made me so angry as a kid.

That was the first PPV I ever ordered as a kid, and I was 9 at the time. I remember being upset about it. My mom called and ended up getting her money back Monday before we knew they were doing the free show the next day. It's a shame it happened because it was one of the better two hour In Your House PPVs that the WWF would do (Maybe only Canadian Stampede was better).