DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

So im playing Origins for the first time.

Man is the start of this game sooooo much better than Inquisition.

I am immediately invested in my mage and my poor female elf rogue because of their individual prologue stories. These are fantastic, the elf especially.

Im now annoyed that DA:I had such a lazy introduction to the world.

So im playing Origins for the first time.

Man is the start of this game sooooo much better than Inquisition.

I am immediately invested in my mage and my poor female elf rogue because of their individual prologue stories. These are fantastic, the elf especially.

The city elf origin really rips out your heart and has Duncan stomp on it the entire way to Ostagar. Just, yeah, did not expect it to go there. My female Tabris' tend to be really high violence types.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started on Dragon Age: Origins, because I like to start at the start of things. It's extremely frustrating - you notice you've got low health, so you choose Heal (or drink potion), but if you move your character before the animation starts, they don't do it. And if you stand still, they get hit with an attack and die. And people keep stunning or paralysing you, so you can't even fight if you want to. And this whole 'play as anyone on combat, but be your own character in all dialogue scenes' concept does my head in. If it's a one player game and I am my character, that's fine. If it's a party game and I control four characters, that's fine. But this half and half, I don't like.

World looks nice. Gameplay doesn't match up to cutscenes very well. All Mages must wear stupid hats to be effective. I chose to play as a Mage, and now my available party consists of three witches, Alistair and a Dog. I'd have chosen a rogue if I'd known.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting Trespasser now. Couldn't believe all the build up they did through the entire story making him seem like such an unstoppable monster, then when it gets to the actual endgame I mow through Corypheus like the Road Warriors beating up Thunderfoot 1 & 2 (I was level 21 or 22). Was kind of a let down. Liked the rest of the game though. Sera and Blackwall were EASILY my 2 favorite companions. After trying everybody else out, it was pretty much those two with a rotation between Solas and Dorian (didn't like Vivienne at all). 

So I have Witcher 3 beat (until the DLC)  and MGSV bought but kind of on hold because I really don't give  a shit. Really I think I'm dealing with a game where if somebody just says that some major character dies that would somehow unravel the big crappy plot that I could unveil on my own.   Wait a minute this is in a dragon age thread.    I think I know how to beat Inquisition :  Just keep playing it.

• 2 months later...

After spending almost 9 months playing it non stop, I've been on a little break (the first baby comment will get zapped). I'm just about to the point of going, "Ya know, I never tried this combination and this romance with this thing here" and giving one last go at a Nightmare run.

Well when I switched to the One from the 360 - it eliminated my playing

That being said - I have a strong suspicion I will be getting the Game of the Year version for either Christmas or my Birthday

Is the Harding romance in the final DLC satisfying? I kind of avoided doing it my first game since it wasn't a fully realized option and went for Cassandra. I planning to pick up the Game of the Year version since I have a PS4 now.

I liked this game plenty for PS3, but I don't really feel any need to pick it up for PS4.

You'll miss the DLCs, which can be fun, especially the closer. Also it just runs better and prettier on the PS4. But you certainly don't have to.

Regarding the Harding romance thing in DLC, I wouldn't say it's "satisfying" as much as I say it felt good they finally did something with it. Note, there isn't a scene with her, it's just something that is mentioned by other characters. 

Really though, I love Harding to death specifically because she was the "Normal" person in this game, and I always tend to play most Bioware games as a character who wants to someday get away from all this bullshit once they fix things, and relates best to the normal folk then the giant characters. Harding is someone who, in spite of living a normal life, joined the fight just because she felt it was the right thing to do, with no outside motivation outside of doing some good in the world. 

Also, for reference, we might need to start a spoilery discussion of what we expect/ are hoping for in DA 4, since they set the stage for that strongly.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

God I am a fucking idiot

I was at Gamestop today and since I had a coupon and they had it marked down - I grabbed DA:I for the One.

Since I had played through the 360 version I was eagerly awaiting to get a cheap version on the One since things were shit on the 360

And I totally forgot the regular game was worthless to me and that I needed the GOTY edition

So I guess I am going back to Gamestop today