DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

So what are you going to delete or move in order to get that puppy on your HDD?

Nothing since its not even up for the 360

I will get it when I do my eventual replay on the XBone

• 3 weeks later...

Started DAI last night. Havent played either of the first 2 so going in blind and playing my character as such.

Asking lots of questions and making a choice based on gut feel rather than what I think is "right". Playing a Qunari Mage as I find that the most visually pleasing.

Just made it into the first area after the first war council and the forming of the Inquisition. Really fun so far. Havent even bothered with the main quest here yet, just getting all the side missions out of the way.

The battles are nice and fluid, healing is an issue at times (is there a mage heal spell at any point?) but I havent wiped out.

Only gripe is that I seem to be the focus of every enemy despite having Cassandra AND the dwarf both in close combat. They just get ignored and enemies charge right at me!

Very fun though and I can see why people have poured 100's of hours into it.

The battles are nice and fluid, healing is an issue at times (is there a mage heal spell at any point?) but I havent wiped out.

Only gripe is that I seem to be the focus of every enemy despite having Cassandra AND the dwarf both in close combat. They just get ignored and enemies charge right at me!

One of the specializations (Knight-Enchanter, I think) gets something, but that's it. You'll learn how to juggle potions, regen potions, barrier, guard, etc. as you go along.

You'll be a little safer as you level up. You'll get passives that reduce your threat while warriors get skills and passive to increase their's. Until then, "Run, Adaar, run!"

Yeah ive worked out a little combo.

Cassandra taunting, Dwarf protecting with a poison infused Bianca, Other mage buffing. I then run interference with ice spells as needed and keep everyone taking potions.

Ran into my first dragon today. Just exploring the hills and then I hear and excited "And off she goes..." I look around thinking Cassandra has bailed and I see the shadow.

I bolted as fast as I could back to camp hahaha

Thinking ill head back to the first town and dump all my useless gear, upgrade what I can and then head back out. Sooooooooooo many side missions...

• Like 1

Once you get three levels above a dragon its hard not to feel sorry for it as the fight become something of a slaughter in your favor.

I think the only dragon I had any real difficulty with was the Highland Ravager in Emprise du Lion. Most of the rest of them seemed pretty much the same to me. I probably waited too long to get any challenge out of them.

Oh yeah - I have waited till I was at least one level above all the ones I have fought and I don't think I have had too much problems.

And if no one has said this yet - make sure to bring Iron Bull along at least once to a dragon battle

• Like 1

So I have finally cleared everything I possibly can in the Hinterlands. Still have a few Rifts to close and a Dragon to kill but having just hit level 8 im still a way off.

Ive repec'd the team as follows -

Cassandra - One handing and taunts/battle cry. Using her to tank and draw the enemy.

Solas - Barriers and Fire spells. Main defensive mage but can dish out some pain.

Varric - Switched him from ranged to dual wielding with some top end daggers I picked up. Speccd into poison and stealth so he can get in and out of close range without taking too much damage.

Im playing as a Quinari mage. Put my points into Ice and Barrier. I help buff the defence for Cass and Varric and then use ice mines and frost spells to slow/freeze the bad guys.

Ive put close to 20 hours in so far and I am totally hooked!

• Like 1

So yeah... I might have been a touch over powered for the final battle.

That took no time at all and I barely took any damage.

Heck - the only reason I used potions was because there were resupply caches so I drink a potion just so they wouldnt go to waste

Yeah the final battle is kind of disappointing. It doesn't feel as big as either Origins or DA2's final battle and is much easier than both as well.

Agreed. I think the last time I bothered to finish the game, the total amount of time spent in battle between the three stages was no more than 5 minutes.

It was weird - you would have thought that for the climatic battle you would have had moments of all your squad mates fighting and what not.

Nope - it was just all "Oh hey guys - yeah killed me an ArchDemon and an Evil One. What have you been up to?"

There were early battles that felt much more like how I thought the final battle would be laid out.

Cleared the Mire and the Storm coast. Picked up Bull, Sera, Viv and Blackwall.

Had to make a choice between the mages and the templars. Not knowing alot about the history of this world I went with my gut and sided with my fellow mages given the snide trearment I received (Quinari mage remember) from the templars earlier on.

What a crazy twist this game took -

The time travel thing was really cool and adds tothe connection with some characters

Have been running with a Iron Bull (2 handed), Varric (Poison/Stealth) and Solas (Barrier/Fire) but I really like the cut of Dorian's gib and have specced him in Barrier/Lightning. He will be replacing Solas from here.

Am I missing anything having skipped Origins and DA2? Is the gameplay much the same? Really feel like I should play those before my second playthrough so that I have a different world and a different understanding of certain characters/collectives/places.

I would say both are definitely worth playing before a second DAI play through though quite a few here would disagree with me on DA2. The gameplay in Inquisition is more of a hybrid between the first two games so it won't quite be the same despite similarities. If you are interested in the world and the overarching characters like Varric, Leiliana, Cullen, etc. there is much to learn by playing them.

Well again - I irrationally hate DA2 because I got the game breaking save bug that has since been patched

Other folks who played it had a different experience

What, you didn't love that ending?

If I was more certain that it would be cleared up in a short amount of time, I'd be more OK with it. Unfortunately, it'll more likely be 3 or 4 years before we get good explanations. :-p

What, you didn't love that ending?

If I was more certain that it would be cleared up in a short amount of time, I'd be more OK with it. Unfortunately, it'll more likely be 3 or 4 years before we get good explanations. :-p

Well someone in charge did hint that we might get a little something as they have been paying attention to what fans are clamoring for DLC wise.