DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

• 1 year later...

December 4th is Dragon Age Day! Here's a podcast which is supposed to be with Minius, SeekerCat and Ability Drain. Only the girls get too involved in the conversation and Minius spends most of it just listening. 80 minutes, and then they did a part two because they still had things to say. The bit about playing with nudity mods is funny.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Not much there.  Basically it's "Hey! Remember Dragon Age?  We're making another one.  And we're using technology to do it.  Also, we have beards now."

So everyone is evil now?

It all felt a little on the nose but I'm still hopeful, I guess. I don't think I've played a Bioware game since ME3 but the Dragon Age games were pretty great and I'm into D&D now so I'll appreciate them even more. The story being centred around "what if people in charge aren't willing to address the issues" sounds a little too on the nose but it's 2020 so whatever.

Am I crazy for thinking this entire thing was just pretty condescending? It felt more like a commercial for the company in attempt to fight there recent reputation with just talking about how innovative they are when they haven’t made a great game in 6 years, and have became notorious for bad game direction decisions. So what is the Dragon Age announcement. Well, here are some screen shots/artwork, you know, the exact same type of bullshit we tried to use to make people excited for Andromeda!

I may be bitter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I may be bitter.

You are bitter but you are not wrong per se.

I don't think I would use the word condescending but it very much was a WE ARE WORKING ON THIS WE SWEAR!!! PLEASE STOP ASKING ABOUT IT FOR AWHILE!!!

Of course I have gotten very old and cynical. Part of me was like "This is really like they are trying to sell me on the new cult they are forming"

• Like 1

Gareth David-Lloyd is my boy, but that Solus dialogue is kinda cringe.

I may pick up DA4 simply since I haven't played any of these titles since they unpinned elf ears from the side of your head, but I may do what I meant to do in Inquisition before I began to hate the entire franchise and play as a Qunari. 

With horns, naturally.

I am intrigued by the concept art from that underwater environment.

I remain cautiously optimistic.  I may have sipped the Kool-Aid again without even realizing it.

If they go 100% Dragon's Dogma and allow you to scale large enemies and attack them, I may be all in.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

Gareth David-Lloyd is my boy, but that Solus dialogue is kinda cringe.

Solas chewing scenery, news at 11. ? 

I was more interested in the Black man voicing a so far unnamed Warden. Would like to see more of that one. ? 

• Like 1

Its nice to know they are working on a new game. It also reminds me that I totally have not finished Inquisition technically since I never played the DLC. I had started a new playthrough to do the things I wanted to do for my main game, but sort of lost interest a couple of years back as I had gotten into other games. May just go and finish it with my original character.

30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

On the odd happenstance that DA:I shows up in Games For Gold I might give I a go but pay for it?  Nah.

Considering its the best of the three - thats a weird stance.

Now that being said - they did put the original up on GFG around the time DA:I showed up so its not unheard of. More than likely it would be DA2 and I will hate myself all over again

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Now that being said - they did put the original up on GFG around the time DA:I showed up so its not unheard of. More than likely it would be DA2 and I will hate myself all over again

As someone who enjoys DA:I, no way does it top DA:O for me. Which is at least partially due to the the RPG elements being so much stronger in Origins. Mages specifically have just insane options and playing as a Mage in the games since has been nowhere near as compelling to me.

• Like 2

I admit that it has been forever since playing the Original so that does color things a little.

Though I do remember feeling like the Fade section was never going to fucking end.

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

As someone who enjoys DA:I, no way does it top DA:O for me. Which is at least partially due to the the RPG elements being so much stronger in Origins. Mages specifically have just insane options and playing as a Mage in the games since has been nowhere near as compelling to me.

I'm a dex fighter guy and I felt pretty unbeatable as a min-max Human Duelist in DA:O.  Chain stuns and auto backstabs FTW and trapfinding / trapsetting was essential.  Soooo many fights in the Circle Tower trivialized by kiting swarms of enemies into hallways littered with claw traps.

I played a Human because I could not bear playing an elf with my ears super glued to the side of my head.

Have heard good and bad about the Rogue specializations in Inquisition.  Have always heard rumors that Rogue wasn't a Qunari friendly class, so I never bothered to get Inquisition even though that's probably not entirely accurate.  Races IIRC were supposed to be mostly cosmetic so you couldn't entirely gimp yourself by playing something classically uncomplimentary like a Dwarf Mage.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I admit that it has been forever since playing the Original so that does color things a little.

Though I do remember feeling like the Fade section was never going to fucking end.

And just as you got yourself out of the Sloth Demon encounter, you were in the thick of another boss fight like minutes later.  I am not sure how anyone survives that one two without Wynne as a dedicated healer / buffer unless you've got a ridiculous amount of healing potions handy.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

47 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I enjoyed all three games a good deal. I kind of agree that DA:I is the best, but that is more because the negatives aren't quite as strong as the ones in Origins & II for me. I think both of the former actually have stronger endings. Story wise I actually like II the most. There is something neat about a story going on over the course of years and being a bit more personal than the norm.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Like I said in the Upcoming Games thread, I can't really buy the logic that EA is giving up on their games as a service business model just because Jedi Order did well and Anthem Next did horribly.

It does not even address the fact that loot box sales in games as service (the main way that developers generate revenue from the platform) is a tinderbox for lawsuits, the fact that the DA player base would wholesale loathe the decision and would refuse to support DA in the same manner that barely anyone supported Anthem, the decision to release ME:LE as a single-player campaign has been met with a lot of positivity, or that a DA built on a games as service concept would receive tons of backlash simply because EA is the publisher and EA already has a pretty shoddy reputation and is perceived to be a den of greedy morons.

Edited by J.T.

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Like I said in the Upcoming Games thread, I can't really buy the logic that EA is giving up on their games as a service business model just because Jedi Order did well and Anthem Next did horribly.

I assume its more a case of those things being the final nail in the coffin than the only or biggest reasons. 

• 4 weeks later...