DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

4 hours ago, AxB said:

So far, I prefer it to DA: Origins. But I'm only in Act 2. It doesn't feel like the slog that Origins did. I just don't see why Fenris and Merrill haven't killed each other yet. Also, why do all the Dalish Elves have Irish accents, except Merrill who has a Welsh accent? Wales and Ireland are completely different places.

To be fair the Dalish are pretty nomadic and not all clans are the same, living well apart from each other in different countries. That said, seeing as Merril is from that clan JT pretty much hit the nail on the head.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

To be fair the Dalish are pretty nomadic and not all clans are the same, living well apart from each other in different countries. That said, seeing as Merril is from that clan JT pretty much hit the nail on the head.

She wasn't born in that clan, tho. She was given to the clan when her magic revealed itself.

• 2 weeks later...

And I've finished DA:2. Spoilers: Now it was obvious that Meredith had turned to evil and was going to be the final boss... but why did they have Anders commit mass murder as a way of bringing about the end game? I mean, I'd barely used Anders or Aveline as party members during my game because I'd thought they had really important jobs in the game world and taking them away from that to go spelunking with me was selfish and bad for the city. But because of that in my mind he wasn't that involved in the Circle Mages vs Templars feud, he was off looking after refugees and renegade mages, so it didn't make sense that he'd be angry enough to go out and kill a whole bunch of innocent people... to guarantee that there would be no peaceful resolution... which in essence would guarantee that dozens of mages would die suddenly and violently. So basically Anders is the real villain of the game. Shouldn't have given you the option of sparing him.

I think the game on some level betrays the player by making your character have to either be a mage, or have a sister who is a mage. So you're persuaded that even though there are plenty of evil mages in the game, you always have in the back of your mind that mages are innocent until proven corrupted, but the world persecutes them anyway. Makes me wonder what would happen if I played as a Mage, but sided with the Templars at every turn.

19 hours ago, AxB said:

And I've finished DA:2. Spoilers: Now it was obvious that Meredith had turned to evil and was going to be the final boss... but why did they have Anders commit mass murder as a way of bringing about the end game? I mean, I'd barely used Anders or Aveline as party members during my game because I'd thought they had really important jobs in the game world and taking them away from that to go spelunking with me was selfish and bad for the city. But because of that in my mind he wasn't that involved in the Circle Mages vs Templars feud, he was off looking after refugees and renegade mages, so it didn't make sense that he'd be angry enough to go out and kill a whole bunch of innocent people... to guarantee that there would be no peaceful resolution... which in essence would guarantee that dozens of mages would die suddenly and violently. So basically Anders is the real villain of the game. Shouldn't have given you the option of sparing him.

Your character kills many more people than Anders did. If you ever go into the Chantry at all during the game, you see it's basically empty, and one of the Sisters talks about keeping the people of Lowtown/Darktown out.

Also, while it doesn't feel it because the game is so short and the character models don't change, it spans 10 years. Anders spent most of that time trying to change people's minds, despite Ser Alrik and all the mages made Tranquil as punishment. It isn't until Act III, when you can hear in the Gallow's courtyard that Meredith HAS ALREADY SENT for the Right of Annulment (before anything happens!) that he decides the only thing to do is force the issue.

The Chantry is the real villain of the game.

• Like 2

In Dragon Age 2, I wasn't stuck in the Fade bored out of my mind for six hundred hours. In Origins, I was. So therefore 2 was better. Also, I never really felt like I was in control during combat in Origins. I'd try to do the in and out, hit and run style of combat and get hit while I was massively out of range. And on my abandoned Mage playthrough, My character would die in literally every fight I got into (usually the whole team would as well).  In DA:2, I'd hit the guy twice, they'd wind up a big power shot, I'd backstab, they'd hit air and I'd do a lot of damage or kill them instantly. Which would be what I was trying to do. In Origins, it never felt like what I was trying to do would be what actually happened.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, El Dragon said:

So, under the radar of everyone, Dragon Age: Origins has been added to the Xbox Backward Compatibility list.

It was in my activity feed.  I am just angry because I traded it in along with a few other games to get some GS store credit, and the bastards announced the new backwards compatibility list two days later.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

December 4th is Dragon Age Day! Here's a podcast which is supposed to be with Minius, SeekerCat and Ability Drain. Only the girls get too involved in the conversation and Minius spends most of it just listening. 80 minutes, and then they did a part two because they still had things to say. The bit about playing with nudity mods is funny.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Not much there.  Basically it's "Hey! Remember Dragon Age?  We're making another one.  And we're using technology to do it.  Also, we have beards now."

So everyone is evil now?

It all felt a little on the nose but I'm still hopeful, I guess. I don't think I've played a Bioware game since ME3 but the Dragon Age games were pretty great and I'm into D&D now so I'll appreciate them even more. The story being centred around "what if people in charge aren't willing to address the issues" sounds a little too on the nose but it's 2020 so whatever.

Am I crazy for thinking this entire thing was just pretty condescending? It felt more like a commercial for the company in attempt to fight there recent reputation with just talking about how innovative they are when they haven’t made a great game in 6 years, and have became notorious for bad game direction decisions. So what is the Dragon Age announcement. Well, here are some screen shots/artwork, you know, the exact same type of bullshit we tried to use to make people excited for Andromeda!

I may be bitter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I may be bitter.

You are bitter but you are not wrong per se.

I don't think I would use the word condescending but it very much was a WE ARE WORKING ON THIS WE SWEAR!!! PLEASE STOP ASKING ABOUT IT FOR AWHILE!!!

Of course I have gotten very old and cynical. Part of me was like "This is really like they are trying to sell me on the new cult they are forming"

• Like 1