DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Watch ZZ now.  Well, except for the Moon Moon episodes.

The plan is Slayers Try and then doubling back to ZZ. What the heck is a Moon Moon episode?

Moon Moon is a colony that the ZZ cast stumble on.  And the only episodes that I absolutely hated of ZZ (and, yes, I didn't mind the oranges in the early episode...).

And the more that I think about it, they may have been the worst Gundam episodes pre-SEED Destiny...

Space Dandy was swell for afirst epiosde. If you haven't watched then you should be wanrned: it isn't Cowboy Bebop the way some sites havebeen hyping it ot be. It is much closer to being Gintama in space based on the first episode.

James

I mean it looked really wacky and like something completely different when I saw it.  Almost looked like Watanabe doing Nabeshin or something like FLCL.

I mean Samurai Champloo isn't Bebop either, but I think its exceptional and brilliant all the same.  

I think most people that are bashing it were expecting bebop 2.0 and got a trippy comedy. I liked it and will keep watching. I like the fact that, so far, all the characters seem to be idiots.

James

Isn't that generally the rule of thumb?  I seriously can only think of 5 Anime that were good dubbed.

For reference, that'd be Dragonball. Dragonball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Soul Eater.

I won't lie... I watched episode  subbed. When Bandai handled their own stuff the dub quality was pretty damn good, especially on their A List stuff.

How much input Bandai Japan has on the Funimation dubs?

This I have no answer for

James

Its the sme thing with different puns with some fansub groups that sub Toku.

One group glosses over all of Nossan's puns in Kyoryuger while another group manages to work the puns in there and have it still be funny. Not taking the effort to do puns right is just lazy script writing and later makes for a subpar dub/sub. I remember Viz in the old days would put in these awful topical jokes into their Ranma dubs.

James

Its Funimation, from what I have seen of their dubs they have a tendency to make unnecessary changes in the translation. One particularly terrible one was giving the wrong age of a character when they screen itself was showing her age.

Haven't watched Space Dandy yet, but I already figured it wasn't going to be Cowboy Bebop based on the trailers alone.

To me it was like Space Adventure Cobra and Oh! Super Milk-Chan had an illegitimate child

James

All I could think at his space dandy pose was the City Hunter thing where he'd pose and in the background it'd go.. citttty hunnnter.

re: Dubs vs Subs? What's the norm now? Do most anime fans under 25 watch dubs? I am 32 now apparently and have no idea what the kids do in these days of easy availability. I figure the people into new stuff have to watch subs almost just because they can get a new episode subbed a few days after it airs for the most part, which is just mindboggling madness from someone who was into this stuff in the mid-late 90s. 

Depends on the series and how you're watching it.  Most of the stuff I watched I had to actively seek out the subs because I heard they were better (Escaflowne, the first two Yu-Gi-Oh! series).  Rest of the stuff I either watched on CN or DVD that had both audio tracks (Gundam Wing, Bebop, Outlaw Star) and found either the sub was superior in GW's case, or that stuff done by Bandai washes out.

Youtube/Daily Motion is big for Fansubbers.  It was pretty much how I watched Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's since the dub was unwatchable, but TVNAS was pretty proactive in hitting fansubs for copyrights pre-automated system.

Also depends on the following.  Crunchy Roll has the licences and seems to have it up within a week.  I know most of the fansubbers for 5D's had it up within 24 hours of airing, so it depends on who's doing it.

I mostly watch subs, but that is more because I tend to watch the new seasons more than anything else, and only rewatch so much so often. I also tend to change it up depending on what I have language I watched in before. I'm re-watching Kenshin subbed right now since I only ever saw the dub beforehand.

I went ahead and saw Evangelion 3.0 in theaters.  And I am out and completely done with this franchise.  I was liking what the Rebuild movies were doing at first, but now after this film, I am done with the whims of Hideaki Anno.  It's pretty clear they threw out the actual movie halfway through production and completely redid.  Gorgeous artwork and animation, but some of the worst contrived, writing imaginable.  

Anno needs some sort of story editor to tell him no and get him focused back on the plot.  This isn't even about philosophy or subtext, he just went completely bonkers.

To give comparison, I felt like Butters after watching this movie:

http://youtu.be/LCK-uql7Zws

Anno is the biggest troll anime has ever seen.  He's the fucking king of the cave trolls.  

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone keeping up with new releases and want to recommend me some good shows?   Just caught up on my backlog and I'm looking for something new to watch.

Mostly interested in mecha series or some sort of scifi/fnatasy drama.  Generally detest silly comedy or fan service.  Don't like the "fighting" shows as a genre, though I did quite enjoy Bleach (and mildly liked parts of Naruto and Inuyasha).  Series I've particularly enjoyed include Ghost in the Shell: SAC and Fullmetal Alchemist (prob my favorites), Death Note, Flag, Blood Plus, Gilgamesh, Hell Girl, Broken Blade, Durarara, Rahxephon, Noein, etc. 

Ideally looking for something newish to the US that's come out on DVD in the past year or two.  Or something that's newer that I can find fansubbed.

Jormungand has caught my attention lately.  Any good?

Thanks.

Try out Silver Spoon, the current series from the FMA creator.  It's a pretty funny look at agriculture...

For mecha, Valvrave was really good other than being a bit...out there.  Gundam Build Fighters is probably one of the best Gundams in recent history (ok, I know that's not saying much).  Buddy Complex so far is interesting, although it's only 4 episodes in so there's a lot of time for it to go downhill.  And while it's not mecha per se, Girls und Panzer is a great show about tanks and was the surprise hit last year.

For sci fi, Bodacious Space Pirates.  Despite the name, it's actually somewhat 'hard' science fiction.

I also recommend Valvrave, especially if you like Gundam.  Valvrave had some weirdness, but it also had this odd, quirky sense of humor that I really enjoyed.  I also like how it incorporated things like social media into the story.

Dusty Finish, based off the shows you listed, I'd also recommend you check out Samurai Champloo if you haven't already.  Also Deadman Wonderland and Attack on Titan.