DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

So, um, I bought one of the last 15 Legend of the Galactic Heroes box sets off Sentai. (They didn't ship sequentially so I got #917 of 1000) I have spent 2 years working my way thru the series on Vrv, and knew I wanted to be able to revisit it when (15 years of streaming has taught me it isn't "if") it disappears from streaming. It sucks that the JP licensor demanded it ONLY be offered as a single complete package of 162 episodes and 3 movies, but the whole history of the property is weird enough that I am not surprised.   All I can say is that I finally found something worth Paypal's endless nagging about opening a line of credit with no interest on the first buy.

• Thanks 1

I really want to like Yasuke, because I have always been curious about the actual historical figure.  I'd have been okay if there had just been the usual samurai anime ninpo=magic stuff going on, but the power armored mechs are a bit too much.

• Like 1

I'm very excited that Moonlit Fantasy is getting an anime. Yes, it is isekai, but I feel it is one that is well written and has good story and characters. Hopefully, it turns out better than Arifureta, which totally botched the opening act.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

I really want to like Yasuke, because I have always been curious about the actual historical figure.  I'd have been okay if there had just been the usual samurai anime ninpo=magic stuff going on, but the power armored mechs are a bit too much.

I've been iffy on catching this for this exact reason. I am curious about Yasuke, but more from a historical standpoint.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J.H. said:

Now we'll never know how it ends and I think he wanted it that way

James

I somehow doubt that. Apparently he and another long running series writer were talking about needing to end their manga just a month ago. Miura mentioned trying to, but needing to add more story each time.

• Like 1

Even unfinished, Berserk has still left a pretty indelible legacy on fantasy storytelling. Considering the original anime was never all that popular in Japan, and subsequent adaptations were rather derided, it's still a pretty celebrated work. And it was basically Darkhorse's bestselling book of all time. I never even knew the manga was that popular and sold over 50 million copies until recently.

Between deadlines and sometimes weekly serialized chapters, I hope if manga-ka are ever dealing with health issues or burnout they take the time and rest they need to recharge for their own wellbeing. It's one reason I'm glad Kishimoto is letting other creators take the reins on Boruto. I heard Kishimoto didn't even go on his honeymoon until after Naruto was done. He was married in 2003. Naruto's last chapter was in 2015. 

I didn't realize this until a couple of days ago, but the final Evangelion Rebuild movie finally got released in Japan a couple months ago. So I did check spoilers. And much like the last movie, they did make me angry...but oh well, that's Evangelion for you. Here's my general reaction based on what I read:

Spoiler

Shinji and...MARI...what in the literal hell? That came out of nowhere. Apparently they redo End of Evangelion, but it's more clear what's going on. Shinji is able to reset the world and it becomes...our world? Shinj and Mari grow into actual adults and walk off together.

Yes Mari.

Like I literally would've expected Shinji and Kaworu as a more believable end pairing. Oh, and reincarnated Rei and Kaworu are together. Yeah, I think Anno is just fucking with the fans at this point for lolz. David Lynch has less contempt for his audience.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OMG... GaoGaiGo!!!
I know now they have been doing novelizations and manga for the Project X GaoGaiGar/Betterman Project but there was no anime. Seeing this gives me hope!

(I'm also losing my mind over J-Decker!!)

James

Edited by J.H.

I've just read the synopsis of Hakai-Oh (GaoGaiGar v. Betterman) and it sounds truly insane and over the rop! Goldion DOUBLE Hammer is the stuff made of 10 year old dreams!

James

86 great show everyone should give a look now. Streaming on Crunchyroll.

So far Tsukimichi is off to a good start. Not sure how much ground they can really cover in 12 episodes without rushing the plot, but the first episode was pretty good. Good animation at least. This is an isekai, but it's one of the good ones.

• Like 1